Should Lillibridge be in our everyday lineup in 2012?

sunofgold

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 17, 2012 -> 08:45 AM)
The problem with that thinking is that "Having to re-earn your job" can demoralize a veteran. Of course, the only one I can really think of who might have that problem on this roster is AJ.

That is a great point. Obviously Konerko should not lose his job because a bad spring. But don't you think Flowers has AJ working out a little harder this off season. Maybe Ventura can find a balance between "apply for your job again" and "these are the starters". Past performance and future projections should play a role in the decision process. I think Lillibridge has earned the right to compete for a job either in the outfield or at 2b. I do not think Beckham's or De Aza's past performance or future projections necessarily makes them the automatic starter over Lillibridge. I'm not saying he is the Sox future all star 2b or outfielder. I'm just saying he has earned the right to a fair shot. If he is a utility player only, then that is what should shake out in the competition right?

Show me a team with a lot of open competition in spring training, and I'll show you a team that sucks.

Lillibridge will get his fair share of playing time, maybe a start once or twice a week. He's a good guy to have on a team if an injury happens.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (flavum @ Jan 17, 2012 -> 09:19 AM)
Show me a team with a lot of open competition in spring training, and I'll show you a team that sucks.

Lillibridge will get his fair share of playing time, maybe a start once or twice a week. He's a good guy to have on a team if an injury happens.

And show me a White Sox team that goes into Spring Training already knowing their starters, and I'll show you a team that sucks.

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Jan 17, 2012 -> 04:54 AM)
There's a problem in American management whereby people are promoted until they exceed their capabilities, then are stuck in a position at which they do not excel, leading to incompetence at every level. I agree with the people who think we should avoid that problem with Lillibridge and keep him in a spot where he excels: the bench.

Additionally, I don't think there should be an open competition with Beckham because Beckham is still significantly younger, offers a much greater potential reward and played GG-caliber defense last season. Unless Lilli shows he can play that level of defense on top of his bat (which has probably peaked) it doesn't make sense to bench Beckham. Particularly not in a year that, by all accounts, is meant for development and the long-term good of the club.

Don't think I could have said it any better. Lilli is a fantastic role player and Beckham is the 2Bman

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Jan 16, 2012 -> 09:54 PM)
There's a problem in American management whereby people are promoted until they exceed their capabilities, then are stuck in a position at which they do not excel, leading to incompetence at every level. I agree with the people who think we should avoid that problem with Lillibridge and keep him in a spot where he excels: the bench.

Additionally, I don't think there should be an open competition with Beckham because Beckham is still significantly younger, offers a much greater potential reward and played GG-caliber defense last season. Unless Lilli shows he can play that level of defense on top of his bat (which has probably peaked) it doesn't make sense to bench Beckham. Particularly not in a year that, by all accounts, is meant for development and the long-term good of the club.

Peters principal "all men are promoted to their highest degree of incompetancy. If any one ever watched BL during practices on the field during spring training practices there is no one that practices harder. 9 players take the field in every game he in varying degrees he can replace 7 of them. If any one of the 7 positions need to be substuted he can fill in. If Brent is platooned for his 183 bats or he bats 400 times I believe the results would be about the same. BL having a career year while so many of our regulars were enjoying their worst years means what?

Only 3 White Sox players hit more HRs than Lillibridge last year. I am not sure that he is just a utility player. He really hasn't had the chance to play everyday.

Also remember which player on our roster received the most interest by other gms. I have to think that some of those gms weren't just looking for a bench player.

Lillibridge looked pretty good in the OF last year defensively. Remember those nice back-to-back catches in New York.

QUOTE (sunofgold @ Jan 17, 2012 -> 12:36 PM)
Only 3 White Sox players hit more HRs than Lillibridge last year. I am not sure that he is just a utility player. He really hasn't had the chance to play everyday.

Also remember which player on our roster received the most interest by other gms. I have to think that some of those gms weren't just looking for a bench player.

Lillibridge looked pretty good in the OF last year defensively. Remember those nice back-to-back catches in New York.

Exactly! He doesn't have to replace Beckham. He could compete for an outfield position as well. I don't buy into the idea that Ozzie played him in only favorable match ups which helped him. I doubt that was even the case. How many times was Lillibridge sat on the bench during a streak. You don't sit a hot hitter. De Aza can be a fourth outfielder just as well as Lillibridge. Let the best man win.

The obvious solution is to platoon de Aza and Lillibridge. Their split numbers are both very lopsided. Lillibridge was a monster versus LHP, and de Aza has always hit RHP really well. They both have the speed to bat at the top of the order, and their OBP's are good enough when facing pitching from the opposite side, especially de Aza's.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Jan 18, 2012 -> 05:44 AM)
The obvious solution is to platoon de Aza and Lillibridge. Their split numbers are both very lopsided. Lillibridge was a monster versus LHP, and de Aza has always hit RHP really well. They both have the speed to bat at the top of the order, and their OBP's are good enough when facing pitching from the opposite side, especially de Aza's.

There's nothing obvious about platooning De Aza and Lillibridge. De Aza flat-out earned the right to play every day this coming season. As long as he performs, I hope the plan is he starts 150+ games in the lead off spot.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jan 18, 2012 -> 09:35 AM)
There's nothing obvious about platooning De Aza and Lillibridge. De Aza flat-out earned the right to play every day this coming season. As long as he performs, I hope the plan is he starts 150+ games in the lead off spot.

I'd suggest that you look at their split stats and then rethink your position.

I love de Aza, and you may remember I was a very vocal advocate of bringing him up way before the Sox finally gave him a chance. However, Lillibridge also earned playing time.

They both deserve a shot, but they are both much better against hurlers from the opposite side.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Jan 18, 2012 -> 10:40 AM)
I'd suggest that you look at their split stats and then rethink your position.

I love de Aza, and you may remember I was a very vocal advocate of bringing him up way before the Sox finally gave him a chance. However, Lillibridge also earned playing time.

They both deserve a shot, but they are both much better against hurlers from the opposite side.

Here are their split stats:

Lillibridge vs. LHP .287 .346 .585 .931 with 9 homers in 90 AB's

de Aza versus LHP .263 .333 .368 .702

Lillibridge vs. RHP .228 .333 .424 .757

de Aza versus RHP .338 .409 .541 .951 all 4 of his homers came off RHP

Platooned, those split stats would give you the following:

vs. LHP .287 .346 .585 .931

vs. RHP .338 .409 .541 .951

Works for me. How about you?

Having a hard time understanding why De Aza is being anointed and Lillibridge is set in stone for the bench.

To me they are not a lot different...nearly the same age (27 and 28), both came into the bigs with some potential and flamed out in their first shot at the show...

both look like platoon type players to me. Neither impress me as a player to take 600 ABs, but both could probably really maximize their talent in a platoon role, which leads me to think they should platoon with each other.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Jan 18, 2012 -> 10:56 AM)
Here are their split stats:

Lillibridge vs. LHP .287 .346 .585 .931 with 9 homers in 90 AB's

de Aza versus LHP .263 .333 .368 .702

Lillibridge vs. RHP .228 .333 .424 .757

de Aza versus RHP .338 .409 .541 .951 all 4 of his homers came off RHP

Platooned, those split stats would give you the following:

vs. LHP .287 .346 .585 .931

vs. RHP .338 .409 .541 .951

Works for me. How about you?

That looks like a very good plan actually. Ventura might even have the audacity to do something that makes sense like that.

That isn't a bad idea. Platooning DeAza and Lillibridge.

You could take it a step further. Benching Dunn against lefties allows you to have DeAza and Lillibridge in the lineup for those game. And against RHPs, you could let Lillibridge take at least some games from Rios. And having Lillibridge and DeAza at the top of the lineup would be good speed.

Try to get Lillibridge at least 400ABs and see how he performs. At the very least, he deserves more playing time.

• 2 weeks later...

For the Shire

As it stands, Brent Lillibridge isn't in line for a full-time starting role in 2012. The only way that'll happen is if someone gets hurt, or someone has significant struggles coming out of the gate.

Fortunately for Lillibridge, if that someone plays any position but pitcher or catcher, he's ready to jump in. After all, there's a reason why he has to carry around more mitts than anyone during spring training.

"I'll bring the three gloves around -- I don't think I'll need the first base one too much, hopefully Paulie will be healthy this year -- but I just gotta keep working at it," Lillibridge said. "It's a lot more work carrying a bunch of gloves around, but I have to be ready for anything."

Such is the life a super-utilityman. Lillibridge mostly served as a reserve outfielder last season, making a pair of spectacular plays in New York and robbing a would-be go-ahead homer from Coco Crisp during the summer. He's a natural middle infielder, though he didn't play shortstop at all and only saw 19 innings at second base in 2011. In fact, the infield position Lillibridge saw the most time at was first base, as he logged 129 innings there after Paul Konerko was hit in the knee by an Andrew Miller fastball in late July.

"I would assume, given the numbers, I'd get a lot more infield work now that Omar [Vizquel]'s not with us," Lillibridge said. "It's kind of hard to back up him when he's one of the best infielders of all time."

With more opportunities for playing time opening up, Lillibridge should have a greater opportunity to repeat his 2011 season. In 216 trips to the plate, Lillibridge smacked 13 home runs -- a career high for any professional level. While he still struck quite a bit, his .340 on-base percentage mitigated those concerns. And 18 of his 48 hits went for extra-bases.

A long offseason -- made even longer by Lillibridge suffering a broken hand when he was hit by a pitch Sept. 8 -- has its psychological pitfalls, though, following a breakout performance.

"More of it's the mental side of it, understanding the approach and stuff," said Lillibridge. "You don't try to do exactly the same thing, because when you don't change a thing, you end up doing stupid stuff."

If Lillibridge can sustain his success of 2011, he very well may play himself into a starting role, either in center field or at second base if Alex Rios or Gordon Beckham start slowly.

Even if those players don't falter, though, Lillibridge wants to make it a difficult decision for Robin Ventura to leave him on the bench.

"You always want to move up. I want a chance to start and some point. The team, it is what it is, we have a great team," Lillibridge said. "But I'm going to make it hard. I'm not going to settle for a role just being a bench guy, I'm hoping to get an opportunity.

"I'm always looking for more at-bats, more innings -- I'm not greedy, my goal is to get better and get a chance to be a starter at some point in my career."