Sox still listening on Gavin

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 17, 2012 -> 03:38 PM)
I don't see why teams would give up much at all for Floyd. He's not even league average.

If/when the Sox deal Floyd, there are going to be some upset posters here given what should be a pretty lackluster return.

Not even league average? He's significantly above average. He's going into his age 29 season and his WAR totals the last three years are 4.5, 4.3, 3.6. Compare that to a guy like Matt Garza (3.1, 1.6, 5.0)

EDIT: League average is ~2.0

Edited by Eminor3rd

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 17, 2012 -> 03:38 PM)
I don't see why teams would give up much at all for Floyd. He's not even league average.

If/when the Sox deal Floyd, there are going to be some upset posters here given what should be a pretty lackluster return.

Gavin Floyd has more value than 75% of current projected starting pitchers in the league.

- Decent contract situation

- Has above average "stuff"

- Excellent health history and outlook

-Pitches in the American League in hitter's park

- Entering his "prime years"

I'd at the very least gamble on his value increasing over the next 18 months.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jan 18, 2012 -> 11:32 AM)
jonmorosi Jon Morosi

Source: #RedSox still showing interest in Gavin Floyd. #WhiteSox

3 minutes ago

Bidding war between BJ's and Sox? Any interesting Red Sox prospects? I admit I don't know a lot of their system

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Jan 18, 2012 -> 11:49 AM)
Brandon Jacobs would be a nice pickup for the Sox

I really like Jacobs, but if I'm kenny williams and everyone besides the 2011 draftees and Xander is in play I go for Garin Cecchini. He's going to be a very good hitter, Jacobs is an athlete but theres numerous knocks on him, one is even though he's so fit he's a horrible defender for a guy like him. He's numbers are also skewed. I do like Jacobs though, my favorites going into the season were Xander, Jacobs and Cecchini. They've since added Barnes and Swihart as well.

Why do you want Larvanway? He makes Montero look like a gold glover.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Jan 18, 2012 -> 12:29 PM)
Bidding war between BJ's and Sox? Any interesting Red Sox prospects? I admit I don't know a lot of their system

Sox have probably the 10th best system in baseball. As a Yankee fan I say they don't get enough credit, it's not as good as the Yankees but they're stacked in the lower system.

Floyd to the Red Sox for Ranaundo and Alex Wilson

or

Floyd to the Pirates for Jeff Locke, Zack Von Rosenberg, and Bryan Morris

or

Floyd to the Jays for Wojo and Roberto Osuna

KW has shown he is going to bring back pitching in any deal he makes and wants guys that are ready/near reaady to contribute. The one exception would be Osuna if Paddy can talk KW into taking a chance on a project.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 18, 2012 -> 12:31 PM)
I'd take the BJ's personally.

I would think the BJ's would be a better fit because of their young, but more advanced pitchers. (Drabek, McGuire, Hutchison) But maybe AA is being difficult so good for KW to go to a rival and drive up the price.

QUOTE (TheHugeUnit @ Jan 18, 2012 -> 12:30 PM)
Sox have probably the 10th best system in baseball. As a Yankee fan I say they don't get enough credit, it's not as good as the Yankees but they're stacked in the lower system.

Thats good but from the White Sox perspective would you want a few lower level guys for Floyd? Seems like completely giving up which I don't see KW doing especially with the V-Mart news.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jan 18, 2012 -> 12:32 PM)
Floyd to the Red Sox for Ranaundo and Alex Wilson

or

Floyd to the Pirates for Jeff Locke, Zack Von Rosenberg, and Bryan Morris

or

Floyd to the Jays for Wojo and Roberto Osuna

KW has shown he is going to bring back pitching in any deal he makes and wants guys that are ready/near reaady to contribute. The one exception would be Osuna if Paddy can talk KW into taking a chance on a project.

That's sick. Ranaudo? Andrew Brackman V2. Wilson is nice tho, I could see him as a nice bullpen option.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Jan 18, 2012 -> 01:35 PM)
I would think the BJ's would be a better fit because of their young, but more advanced pitchers. (Drabek, McGuire, Hutchison) But maybe AA is being difficult so good for KW to go to a rival and drive up the price.

Think about the post again.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Jan 18, 2012 -> 01:36 PM)
Thats good but from the White Sox perspective would you want a few lower level guys for Floyd? Seems like completely giving up which I don't see KW doing especially with the V-Mart news.

No team is likely to give up MLB-ready top flight guys for Floyd. Either you have to target lower level guys or you have to target a guy who you think you can turn around if you want to hit a major score.

QUOTE (TheHugeUnit @ Jan 18, 2012 -> 01:03 PM)
That's sick. Ranaudo? Andrew Brackman V2. Wilson is nice tho, I could see him as a nice bullpen option.

Wilson would be a nice bullpen piece, Ranaundo's profile is a lot like the recently acquired Simon Castro, number one prospect last year who slid with a bad year. He needs more of a track record before he is relegated to Brackman status.

The Red Sox system may be deep, but it really lacks impact players of any type, and most of the appealing prospects are from last years draft and not eligigle for a trade yet.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jan 18, 2012 -> 02:09 PM)
The Red Sox system may be deep, but it really lacks impact players of any type, and most of the appealing prospects are from last years draft and not eligigle for a trade yet.

Technically they could be PTBNL'd at this point, but the Sox aren't likely to let a guy sit in the Sox's system for the first 3 months of the season while they wait.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 18, 2012 -> 01:07 PM)
No team is likely to give up MLB-ready top flight guys for Floyd. Either you have to target lower level guys or you have to target a guy who you think you can turn around if you want to hit a major score.

I get that I just don't see the Sox doing it. Trading Frasor for young guys is one thing, but doing so with Floyd is a full fledged rebuilding year and I don't think he'll go that direction until the deadline.

Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com reports that the Red Sox are still showing interest in a trade for Gavin Floyd.

The Red Sox discussed potential trades for Floyd and John Danks during the Winter Meetings last month, but nothing came to fruition. However, Morosi reported on Tuesday that the White Sox are "still listening to offers" on Floyd. The 28-year-old right-hander is set to earn $7.5 million this season while his contract includes a $9.5 club option for 2013. There are only a couple of quality options left on the free agent market, so the White Sox could net a nice package of prospects from a team desperate to add a starter prior to spring training.

Rotoworld