Snowmageddon 2012!

Brian

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (flippedoutpunk @ Jan 20, 2012 -> 07:21 PM)
Yeah this is pretty ridiculous. I'm more comfortable walking to where i need to go right now rather than driving there.

I love, love, love driving in the snow. It's not a hard concept. The problem is 99% of the world is a bunch of p*****s and drives 4 miles an hour and doesn't make lights.

People suck.

However, driving home from the bar tonight felt like GTA on steroids. I heart driving in snow.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 20, 2012 -> 11:30 PM)
I love, love, love driving in the snow. It's not a hard concept. The problem is 99% of the world is a bunch of p*****s and drives 4 miles an hour and doesn't make lights.

People suck.

However, driving home from the bar tonight felt like GTA on steroids. I heart driving in snow.

This entire post screams of horrible human being.

What exactly is your key to driving in the snow? Drive as fast as you can because it minimizes the amount of time you're on the road?

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 20, 2012 -> 10:30 PM)
People suck.

thats the exact problem. I've lived in one of the top 5 snowiest cities in the US for 4 years (syracuse) and never once had an issue driving in the snow (4WD ftw), but the issue is the idiots that put my life in danger on the expressway because they're scared to drive. people slipping and sliding through stop signs, red lights, etc. its absolutely insane. not to mention the pig parallel parkers in the snow that will swipe the paint off of your car and leave it, thanking raptor jesus that they were able to manage to get their car in the spot by any means necessary.

It snowed for awhile up here but I don't think we got as much as everyone thought. I cleaned the driveway off at 3 yesterday afternoon before I had to leave than just now and there were maybe 2 inches. I would guess we got about 5 but it was light.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 20, 2012 -> 11:30 PM)

People suck.

QUOTE (flippedoutpunk @ Jan 21, 2012 -> 12:44 AM)
thats the exact problem. I've lived in one of the top 5 snowiest cities in the US for 4 years (syracuse) and never once had an issue driving in the snow (4WD ftw), but the issue is the idiots that put my life in danger on the expressway because they're scared to drive. people slipping and sliding through stop signs, red lights, etc. its absolutely insane. not to mention the pig parallel parkers in the snow that will swipe the paint off of your car and leave it, thanking raptor jesus that they were able to manage to get their car in the spot by any means necessary.

See, I don't get this at all. At least in my view, if you're going to drive in the snow, you have to drive like you are scared. If you're not scared to drive, then you wind up going to fast into a stop sign and that's how you wind up slipping and sliding through them. If it's snowing, I'd rather creep up to a light then wind up being unable to stop and slipping my way into the intersection. I've got a hill I have to go down by my house and it's almost impossible to stop at the bottom of it if I'm going m ore than 10 mph when I get to the top. And if it's snowing on the expressway, I want to be the guy staying in the right hand lane and letting everyone else pass while I watch them, rather than having to change lanes a lot or break/accelerate a lot.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 21, 2012 -> 12:02 PM)
See, I don't get this at all. At least in my view, if you're going to drive in the snow, you have to drive like you are scared. If you're not scared to drive, then you wind up going to fast into a stop sign and that's how you wind up slipping and sliding through them. If it's snowing, I'd rather creep up to a light then wind up being unable to stop and slipping my way into the intersection. I've got a hill I have to go down by my house and it's almost impossible to stop at the bottom of it if I'm going m ore than 10 mph when I get to the top. And if it's snowing on the expressway, I want to be the guy staying in the right hand lane and letting everyone else pass while I watch them, rather than having to change lanes a lot or break/accelerate a lot.

Not to mention it makes an enormous difference what type of car youre driving. I have a very light, rear wheel drive car and its basically an art form to be able to drive it in the snow. You cant accelerate through turns, you have to start slowing down for stops earlier and need to accelerate slower when starting from a stop. There certainly are people who let snow on the roads scare them waaaaaaaay too much but I dont know how many times Ive wanted to stop and throw a brick through some SUVs window for slamming on their horn because Im accelerating slower than usual after a red light or something.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Jan 21, 2012 -> 06:34 PM)
Not to mention it makes an enormous difference what type of car youre driving. I have a very light, rear wheel drive car and its basically an art form to be able to drive it in the snow. You cant accelerate through turns, you have to start slowing down for stops earlier and need to accelerate slower when starting from a stop. There certainly are people who let snow on the roads scare them waaaaaaaay too much but I dont know how many times Ive wanted to stop and throw a brick through some SUVs window for slamming on their horn because Im accelerating slower than usual after a red light or something.

Good winter tires make a huge difference. I got a set of blizzaks on my gto this year and it drives great in the snow now.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Jan 21, 2012 -> 06:34 PM)

I don't get it either. I actually was in an accident last week because one, the village of Orland Park simply refuses to plow/salt their streets, but rather allow cars to just run over it, and two, some douche in an Acura behind me with AWD and traction control was riding my ass on a turn. Long story short, my 07 G6 with RWD spun out at 8mph on a turn, hit the lady in the turn lane, bounced off of her, and hit the snow curb pretty hard. I bent my wheel inward which will be a b**** to replace because I can't find the same rim anywhere. And yes, I have winter tires, but in the end, it all matters what kind of car you drive, and even then, it's still a pain in the ass. So like Drunk, I'll slow down, accelerate slowly, and make sure I get home instead of getting in another accident.

• 1 month later...
QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 23, 2012 -> 02:44 PM)
f***ing A. 8 AM flight to SoCal already cancelled. Luckily, rebooked on a 6:30 PM flight tomorrow night, but there goes the whole day out there.

Yeah I've got an 8pm flight to denver tomorrow. Once we get in (at 10 something) we have a 2 hour drive to a cabin. I'm REALLY hoping nothing gets delayed.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 23, 2012 -> 03:20 PM)
Yeah I've got an 8pm flight to denver tomorrow. Once we get in (at 10 something) we have a 2 hour drive to a cabin. I'm REALLY hoping nothing gets delayed.

Yeah, with our new flight, we get in at 9:30 PM and have a 2 hour drive as well. Luckily, we will be in warm weather and have no worries about driving conditions.

Still no snow here by O'Hare.