Giffords to Resign

Texsox

QUOTE (Tex @ Jan 22, 2012 -> 03:21 PM)
http://www.cnn.com/2012/01/22/politics/gif....html?hpt=hp_t1

Classy move but I would have respected her hanging onto her office as well.

Even if she can't do the job anymore (thru no fault of hers)? How would ineffective representation of her district be worthy of respect?

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Jan 22, 2012 -> 03:52 PM)
Even if she can't do the job anymore (thru no fault of hers)? How would ineffective representation of her district be worthy of respect?

This.

It's probably really hard to do your job after being shot in the head. I'm sure there are mental blocks she has to overcome.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Jan 22, 2012 -> 03:52 PM)

Terrorists win when our leaders can be shot from office. If her district was unhappy there are ways for her to be removed from office. There was no movement from her district. It really becomes how much time to recover.

QUOTE (Tex @ Jan 22, 2012 -> 05:38 PM)
Terrorists win when our leaders can be shot from office. If her district was unhappy there are ways for her to be removed from office. There was no movement from her district. It really becomes how much time to recover.

No one is forcing her to do this. Assuming she is of sound mind currently, she's deciding that she is incapable of adequately representing her district. There is zero shame in that.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 22, 2012 -> 04:46 PM)
No one is forcing her to do this. Assuming she is of sound mind currently, she's deciding that she is incapable of adequately representing her district. There is zero shame in that.

Agreed. Read what I responded to. I applaud her for resigning, but I would have respected her desire to hang onto her office while recovering.

QUOTE (Tex @ Jan 22, 2012 -> 06:07 PM)
Agreed. Read what I responded to. I applaud her for resigning, but I would have respected her desire to hang onto her office while recovering.

Then don't call this "Terrorists winning". That's just insulting to her.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 22, 2012 -> 05:10 PM)
Then don't call this "Terrorists winning". That's just insulting to her.

You are taking it totally out of context. That is a cheap shot that I don't appreciate. When people are FORCED FROM OFFICE, which she isn't, the guy who wanted her out of office and shot her, wins.

QUOTE (Tex @ Jan 22, 2012 -> 06:20 PM)
You are taking it totally out of context. That is a cheap shot that I don't appreciate. When people are FORCED FROM OFFICE, which she isn't, the guy who wanted her out of office and shot her, wins.

If this isn't her being "Forced from office as a direct result of a terrorist act", I don't know what is.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 22, 2012 -> 05:26 PM)
If this isn't her being "Forced from office as a direct result of a terrorist act", I don't know what is.

Let's look at the word forced and see if it applies

forced

• Obtained or imposed by coercion or physical power: "the brutal regime of forced labor".
I do not believe she was forced, at least by my understanding of the word forced. I believe she voluntarily resigned.

vol·un·tar·y Adjective:Done, given, or acting of one's own free will: "voluntary contributions

I believe there is a huge difference here. How long of a recovery time should we allow? Six months? A year? and who should decide? So again, what I believe is if we started forcing people from office if it will take too long for them to heal, then the terrorists win. I would hope this never happens again, but if it does, I would rather the office holder is allowed to voluntarily make that decision, and not to be forced to resign. As I said initially, I would respect a person's decision to stay in office while recovering from their illness or injuries.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 27, 2012 -> 12:44 PM)
She was forced to retire because someone shot her in her brain, severely impacting her ability to perform her job.

She made a voluntary decision to resign while recovering from her injuries. No one forced her to resign.

If I knew y'all would define forced in that manner I would have rephrased my original statement. If we demand, forcibly remove, cause to be removed, or in some manner beyond their own voluntary decision, have someone resign because they are taking too long to heal from a terrorist attack, we are allowing the terrorist what they wanted, the person removed from office. That to me feels like they won. The terrorists got what they wanted, the voters did not.

QUOTE (Tex @ Jan 27, 2012 -> 01:47 PM)
She made a voluntary decision to resign while recovering from her injuries. No one forced her to resign.

If I knew y'all would define forced in that manner I would have rephrased my original statement. If we demand, forcibly remove, cause to be removed, or in some manner beyond their own voluntary decision, have someone resign because they are taking too long to heal from a terrorist attack, we are allowing the terrorist what they wanted, the person removed from office. That to me feels like they won. The terrorists got what they wanted, the voters did not.

If the voters decided to remove her in November based on the fact that they felt she was failin at her job due to her injuries, would that be a victory for the terrorists also? Because she'd clearly be forced from her office because of the event.

QUOTE (Tex @ Jan 27, 2012 -> 02:03 PM)
I believe there is a differnce between being voted out of office and being forced out.

So is there any reasonable situation where a person survives this attack but then departs congress which you'd count as being forced out? It seems like if the person doesn't die, then there's nothing that can happen you'd regard as being forced out.

So if they shot and killed her, should we replace her, or would that be a 'win' for the terrorists?

Perhaps it is time to have some kind of stand-in for when someone can't do the job due to an illness or injury. A person absent form congress for an extended period of time is simply NOT doing the job they were elected to do, which is represent. Not saying it is their fault, but still if you can't do the job, why should the voters get shorted because you can't vote?

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Jan 27, 2012 -> 01:24 PM)
So if they shot and killed her, should we replace her, or would that be a 'win' for the terrorists?

yes. she would be stuffed and placed in her office and if you did not vote for her in future elections then that means you hate America.

Edited by mr_genius

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Jan 27, 2012 -> 02:49 PM)
your Lincoln joke was in bad taste and you should retract it.

Too soon?

I think I get what Tex was trying to say but I don't really understand the follow-on logic... what if she didn't survive the shooting, does the "forced" part of it really matter? Also every crazy-assed person who commits a violent crime isn't necessarily a terrorist, the definition is a lot more complicated than that.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 27, 2012 -> 01:07 PM)
So is there any reasonable situation where a person survives this attack but then departs congress which you'd count as being forced out? It seems like if the person doesn't die, then there's nothing that can happen you'd regard as being forced out.

Perhaps not. Thank you for pointing that out.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Jan 27, 2012 -> 02:24 PM)

Perhaps it is time to have some kind of stand-in for when someone can't do the job due to an illness or injury. A person absent form congress for an extended period of time is simply NOT doing the job they were elected to do, which is represent. Not saying it is their fault, but still if you can't do the job, why should the voters get shorted because you can't vote?

In th event that a congressperson can't do their jobs, they could be removed from office by various means, allowing either a special election or an appointed replacement, and various states will hqve different rules.