2012 Tennis Thread

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jun 10, 2012 -> 12:08 AM)
Tomorrow's French Open final has a TON at stake. Can't freaking wait.

I'm already happy that Sharapova won the Women's side of things, I really thought Federer would handle Djokivic especially since he had a couple close matches before him. If Nadal loses he needs to rethink things and just remake his game completely to counter Novaks.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 28, 2012 -> 04:30 PM)
Nadal goes down in the 2nd round to #100 Lukas Rosol. Wow.

Yeah, after the 4th set I thought Nadal was going to put the kid away but he didn't come close to breaking him in the 5th. Federer better be taking notice this is his chance to make history at Wimbledon and only 1 man should stand in his way instead of 2.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Jun 28, 2012 -> 04:57 PM)
Yeah, after the 4th set I thought Nadal was going to put the kid away but he didn't come close to breaking him in the 5th.

'The kid' is older than Nadal. He's more of a journeyman that caught lightning in a bottle.

It makes sense on grass (first time they ever played on that surface), but I dont think people believed Federer had the mental edge anymore. Seems like Nadal really gives him the most trouble, but some guys just never are great with the left-right match up (instead of forehand-forehand cross court, its forehand-backhand which generally favors the left handed player).

Shame it was the semi though as Federer should be pretty favored in the final.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 6, 2012 -> 10:34 AM)
It makes sense on grass (first time they ever played on that surface), but I dont think people believed Federer had the mental edge anymore. Seems like Nadal really gives him the most trouble, but some guys just never are great with the left-right match up (instead of forehand-forehand cross court, its forehand-backhand which generally favors the left handed player).

Shame it was the semi though as Federer should be pretty favored in the final.

Andy murray is beating tsonga currently, assuming Murray hangs on the crowd is going to be heavy in his favor and he definitely good enough to beat Federer. I think Federer would have beat Tsonga in straight sets but against Murray it might be a 5 setter.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Jul 6, 2012 -> 12:38 PM)
Andy murray is beating tsonga currently, assuming Murray hangs on the crowd is going to be heavy in his favor and he definitely good enough to beat Federer. I think Federer would have beat Tsonga in straight sets but against Murray it might be a 5 setter.

And a must watch.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 6, 2012 -> 06:51 PM)
Gonna be interesting to see how Federer handles the entire stadium rooting hard against him. On the other hand, the pressure on Murray to win will be enormous as well.

More importantly, my girl Radwanska is gonna f*** Serena up tomorrow!

I should be pulling for Serena since she is American but I can't stand her. Hate the way she carries herself off the court.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 6, 2012 -> 06:51 PM)
Gonna be interesting to see how Federer handles the entire stadium rooting hard against him. On the other hand, the pressure on Murray to win will be enormous as well.

More importantly, my girl Radwanska is gonna f*** Serena up tomorrow!

Radwanska is sick as hell and is going to get wrecked by Serena, unfortunately.

And the Djokovic loss was a bummer. That break in the 1st set for Federer was unlucky, and then blowing the break-point 4-4 in the 3rd set pretty much sealed it. He should have won that match. Oh well. Go Murray!

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 6, 2012 -> 07:40 PM)
Radwanska is sick as hell and is going to get wrecked by Serena, unfortunately.

And the Djokovic loss was a bummer. That break in the 1st set for Federer was unlucky, and then blowing the break-point 4-4 in the 3rd set pretty much sealed it. He should have won that match. Oh well. Go Murray!

Wimbledon is probably the last surface that Federer is better than Djokovic at, I imagine Novak runs over everyone at the US Open including whoever he faces in the finals.

Murray's speech after losing is one of the saddest things you'll ever see. It was the realization of a beaten man. Obviously Federer doesn't have long left, but he's the same age as Nadal/Djokovic so he knows his opportunities aren't going to come often.

Well, it feels good predicting Federer to win Wimbledon before it all started and be right.... even if I didn't see Nadal losing in the 2nd round. Federer is now going to be the top ranked player again which I didn't see happening but good for him. I'm really rooting for Murray to win the US Open now, be nice to have a year with 4 different champions.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jul 8, 2012 -> 12:28 PM)
Murray's speech after losing is one of the saddest things you'll ever see. It was the realization of a beaten man. Obviously Federer doesn't have long left, but he's the same age as Nadal/Djokovic so he knows his opportunities aren't going to come often.

Nadal probably doesn't have much longer on any surface outside of clay either. I'd give him 2 more years before Murray is clear 2nd best on all other surfaces unless a new person emerges.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Jul 8, 2012 -> 12:31 PM)
Nadal probably doesn't have much longer on any surface outside of clay either. I'd give him 2 more years before Murray is clear 2nd best on all other surfaces unless a new person emerges.

That's the thing though. A new person usually does emerge. Murray will remain in the top tier for at least a few more years, but he's probably going to need an upset like Nadal at Wimbledon this year to get a good chance.

Glad to see Federer win again and regain the worlds top ranking. Crazy to believe he's #1 again. It'll be great to see how the clear top 4 do in the Olympics. I like Murray too, so it would be such a confidence booster if he can medal meaning he'd beat out at least 1 of the top 3.

Edited by WilliamTell