2012 Tennis Thread

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Holy. s***.

5 hour epic. Can't believe Djokovic pulled through after how many opportunities he let slip through his fingers. And then for Murray to come back from 5-2 down in that 5th set? Unbelievable. One of the best matches I have ever watched.

18 breaks in that match. Such a roller coaster. Both were up and down in the 1st set and Nole took it 6-3. Then Nole gets the early break, goes up 2-0 in the 2nd and then has break point to make it 3-0 and blows it. Murray gets it going and takes the 2nd set 6-3. Then the 3rd set was a break-fest and you're thinking "whoever wins the tiebreaker wins the match." Murray wins the tiebreaker and then all of the sudden Djokovic takes the 4th set 6-1 in 25 minutes! Murray rolled over like a dog in that set. Nole has all the momentum, gets a break in the 5th set, gets up 5-3 and can serve to take the match, and then he gets broken! Murray comes back to 5-5, Djokovic holds to make it 6-5 and then breaks him to win the match.

Murray has to be crushed, I think his biggest issue is he probably should have won that 3rd set a lot easier and ended up putting a ton of energy into it. He definitely just gave up the 4th set after losing the first match and decided to conserve his energy for the final set. Murray is getting real close to breaking through if he keeps this up, I think he just needs to work on his 2nd serve no reason for it to be that slow given his size and he will be able to finally win at least at the Australian/US Open.

Time to see if this is going to be the same as last year or if Nadal has found a way to challenge Djokovich. The women's final is going to be a screamoff might have to leave the tv on mute.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jan 29, 2012 -> 08:46 AM)
TOOOOO SRBINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NOLE! NOLE! NOLE!

I think Nadal lost it on the game after he broke Djokovic. He had that easy winner and if he won that game could of been the nail in the coffin. The one thing it showed though is Djokovic isn't going to run over guys this year though... Murray/Nadal both had solid chances of winning.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Jan 29, 2012 -> 10:43 AM)
I think Nadal lost it on the game after he broke Djokovic. He had that easy winner and if he won that game could of been the nail in the coffin. The one thing it showed though is Djokovic isn't going to run over guys this year though... Murray/Nadal both had solid chances of winning.

I don't think it matters one bit if he runs over guys or not, the W is all that matters in the end. I choose to look at it the other way. No matter how tough it looks, he finds a way to win. 11 hours on the court against Nadal and Murray in the last 2 matches following a tough 3-set match against Ferrer and he STILL won. When he collapsed at the end of that point early in the 5th I thought it was over.

He found a way to make it happen. Hit shots even without his legs underneath him. Biggest thing was that his serve was able to pull him through. The same mental block Fed has against Nadal absolutely is there for Nadal vs Nole. He hits that passing shot in the open court 999/1000 times otherwise. The doubt constantly creeps in for him. He might cheer and fist pump and all that but he's doing it forcefully to try to get himself pumped up.

I don't think you can say one way or another what happens the rest of the year. Sure, Murray and Nadal both had solid chances of winning, but Nole also missed COUNTLESS break opportunities in both matches. Murray should have been put away in 3 and Nadal should have been put away down 4-3 and 0-40 on his own serve in the 4th set.

Can't really doubt what he's done though. He earned his 5th Grand Slam and is the best player in the world right now. No question about it.

I think you are way biased, I mean everyone is but Murray probably should have won that game vs Djokovic he just ran out of steam... if anything that 3rd set he had more mistakes that would have lead to a much easier set win if he completed them.

I will say Djokovic messed up the 4th set and probably should have won but at same time I think Nadal gifted it right back to him the 5th set in which he should have taken. Obviously end of the day all that matters is winning, but my statement was more about last year Djokovic just looked unstoppable to the point only person who stood a remote chance was Federer vs him. This open I was happy to see Nadal/Murray up their game and make it some enjoyable tennis to watch instead of a steamroll. Which is important because obviously both those matches could have easily gone the other way.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Jan 29, 2012 -> 11:06 AM)
I think you are way biased, I mean everyone is but Murray probably should have won that game vs Djokovic he just ran out of steam... if anything that 3rd set he had more mistakes that would have lead to a much easier set win if he completed them.

I will say Djokovic messed up the 4th set and probably should have won but at same time I think Nadal gifted it right back to him the 5th set in which he should have taken. Obviously end of the day all that matters is winning, but my statement was more about last year Djokovic just looked unstoppable to the point only person who stood a remote chance was Federer vs him. This open I was happy to see Nadal/Murray up their game and make it some enjoyable tennis to watch instead of a steamroll. Which is important because obviously both those matches could have easily gone the other way.

I'm not denying it, I obviously have a biased opinion, but I also think Djokovic can get away with not playing his best easier than other players because of his defensive abilities. He's got the intangibles now. You must have watched a different semi than I did because Nole playing his average game wins that match in 3 sets. Had tons and tons opportunities to put Murray away and couldn't. Dominated the first set, then had break point up 2-0 in the 2nd and then lost his edge, where Murray stepped his game up.

I may be biased for Nole, but you might be just as biased against him.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jan 29, 2012 -> 10:12 AM)
I'm not denying it, I obviously have a biased opinion, but I also think Djokovic can get away with not playing his best easier than other players because of his defensive abilities. He's got the intangibles now. You must have watched a different semi than I did because Nole playing his average game wins that match in 3 sets. Had tons and tons opportunities to put Murray away and couldn't. Dominated the first set, then had break point up 2-0 in the 2nd and then lost his edge, where Murray stepped his game up.

I may be biased for Nole, but you might be just as biased against him.

I actually like Nole, I just didn't care much for last year because it was domination lol. The only one in the top4 I don't care for is Federer, but I do enjoy Federer/Nadal matches for that very reason. But yeah, today I think Djokovich played better except the 5th set which Nadal I guess nerves or whatever messed it up. In the semi's though I think Murray played a better match especially the 3rd set where like I've said I felt if anything he should have won that a lot easier. He just ran out of steam and Djokovich seemed to hit a 2nd wind. As for not playing his best, I don't think anyone played their best honestly which is usual for the Australian Open... still some sick tennis though.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Jan 29, 2012 -> 11:20 AM)
I actually like Nole, I just didn't care much for last year because it was domination lol. The only one in the top4 I don't care for is Federer, but I do enjoy Federer/Nadal matches for that very reason. But yeah, today I think Djokovich played better except the 5th set which Nadal I guess nerves or whatever messed it up. In the semi's though I think Murray played a better match especially the 3rd set where like I've said I felt if anything he should have won that a lot easier. He just ran out of steam and Djokovich seemed to hit a 2nd wind. As for not playing his best, I don't think anyone played their best honestly which is usual for the Australian Open... still some sick tennis though.

It kind of boggles my mind that this is the same Novak Djokovic I watched 2 years ago. He used to get so rattled so easily. He would let the smallest things bother him, and now, here he is, outlasting and outwilling Rafael freakin Nadal, a 10 time grand slam champion, in a 5 set final. His transformation since the 2010 US Open is remarkable. And the fact that winning the Davis Cup did so much for his confidence says a lot about how much he cares.

The talent was always there, but the mentality wasn't. I watched him win his 1st grand slam in 2008 and I thought he'd take off from there. He did, just not when expected. It's hard to say, but he could very well be on his way to a Roger Federer-esque run. They both really hit their primes around the same age and right now, Djokovic has the edge over all the top competitors.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jan 29, 2012 -> 10:26 AM)
It kind of boggles my mind that this is the same Novak Djokovic I watched 2 years ago. He used to get so rattled so easily. He would let the smallest things bother him, and now, here he is, outlasting and outwilling Rafael freakin Nadal, a 10 time grand slam champion, in a 5 set final. His transformation since the 2010 US Open is remarkable. And the fact that winning the Davis Cup did so much for his confidence says a lot about how much he cares.

The talent was always there, but the mentality wasn't. I watched him win his 1st grand slam in 2008 and I thought he'd take off from there. He did, just not when expected. It's hard to say, but he could very well be on his way to a Roger Federer-esque run. They both really hit their primes around the same age and right now, Djokovic has the edge over all the top competitors.

I actually think Federer is the one guy that at their best he could beat Djoko. He beat him at the French Open I think last year and should have beat him at the US Open. I wish tennis was more open it really seems like only 4 guys have a shot at every event and even of those 4 it seems every final is going to be Nadal/Djoko at this rate.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Jan 29, 2012 -> 11:31 AM)
I actually think Federer is the one guy that at their best he could beat Djoko. He beat him at the French Open I think last year and should have beat him at the US Open. I wish tennis was more open it really seems like only 4 guys have a shot at every event and even of those 4 it seems every final is going to be Nadal/Djoko at this rate.

Eh, I have my reservations about counting that French Open semi too much. Is was the highest pressure match of Djokovic's career with the unbeaten streak on the line as well as the #1 ranking, and obviously the fact that he'd have to face the most dominant clay court player ever in the final.

That first set was extremely close and when Fed pulled through with the tiebreaker, Nole completely lost composure in the 2nd set. He has his opportunities to come back and made it a match for a while, but that was the best I've ever seen Federer serve in my life.

Oh, and I'm totally with you, Federer is the only one of the top 4 that I don't like. In fact, I hate Federer. A lot.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Jan 29, 2012 -> 01:26 PM)
Now I really want to get into tennis but 3 things are going against me,

1. I suck at Tennis

2. I have nobody to play with

3. I hate winter

I hate that the french/wimbledon are so far away.

I started "playing" about 2 years ago, but with similar problems. No one to play with really, and no one to kinda teach me to get better. It's not as easy as they make it look. I'm the king of sending a forehand over the fence like I just swung to hit a home run.

Finished at 1:38 my time, I gave up at 11ish considering I had an early start for work the next morning.

Thought Rafa was gone midway thru the 3rd, but credit to him to taking it to a 5th set. If only he didn't stand so far back, especially returning on the 2nd set, reckon he may have had Djokovic, who clearly wasn't at his best over the past 3 rounds, but still found a way to get it done.

• 1 month later...