The Hawk speaks

southsider2k5

Fluff- yes. Some interesting takes on 2011 -yes, But the off season usually is fluff and feel good stories. That is normal and just goes to show why baseball is so great. Hopes springs eternal and we are all equal until the end of the first day of the season

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To be honest I couldn't find much of anything at all from guys that I consider to be equals of Hawk because...those people don't really exist. Oddball homers with experience at virtually every level of an organization are a rare breed. The piece does stick to the basic tenants of org fluff though:

1. This is why things didn't work out last year

2. This is how the team addressed these issues this offseason

3. This is why you should be excited about X team in 2012.

You will definitely see these exact kind of pieces from the media surrounding 29 out of 30 teams this time of year, with slight variations in the discussion of the St. Louis Cardinals.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 23, 2012 -> 04:36 PM)
For the guy who is pretty much the real face of the organization to say what he said, that really isn't fluff. I'd challenge you to find another announcer who had those kinds of things to say about their own team.

Harry Caray and Jimmy Piersall and they fired them

Yeah let me clarify, this is exactly what I expect and there is absolutely nothing wrong with any of it. I just don't consider this interview to be a serious critical or analytical appraisal of the 2011 White Sox

Edit - or anything besides the usual fluff

Edited by daggins

Daggins, are you from the Chicago area? I can't believe anyone who listens to Hawk with any kinda regularity thinks that article was overly homeristic. I was ready to dismiss it as typical Hawk nonsense, but he was pretty fair in his assessments. In fact, the only thing that I thought was lame was the whole if Maggs/Frank don't get hurt we win it all in '04. Not with that pitching staff.

J4L, Hawk promises optimism every preseason, and then the next year he explains how awful everything went, and how last offseason he was telling his wife in the car that last year was about to be bad.

Read better or remember better, maybe both. He does this every year.

Someone homeristic can criticize, as Hawk does above. But if he'd ever criticize before the year happens, before a mgr gets fired.... i mean by saving it all for later, it just comes off as more gutless or company-line-ish. Whatever we want to label it, we can all agree it's not going out on a limb or taking a chance.

A dig at Albert Belle! 14 years too late! It's entertaining for me but it's not groundbreaking stuff (generally) when it comes from good ole' HH

Guys im sorry im just really negative and on the brink of insanity from lack of baseball and nothing i've seen this offseason or the three seasons previous has given me any faith that this team is going to get any better. Ill be watching, though, just like everyone else here.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 23, 2012 -> 11:52 AM)
Right. Because I am sure you publicly go out and slam your company to the general public.

That isn't what is happening though. This is more like calling out employees for bad behavior or saying that certain problems were caused by one person who was sacked. The company is still fundamentally right and will be ok.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 23, 2012 -> 10:52 AM)
Right. Because I am sure you publicly go out and slam your company to the general public.

Yeah, to anyone who will listen at least.

But like I said, Hawk is entertainment and I do appreciate him. I don't worry about him being homeristic, it's just a part of the show that I enjoy. Just lets not try to paint him as current, completely informed or fully aware, which may or may not been the intention of some earlier in the thread. He knows what he knows, but he is history based. Which is fine for what he does.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (daggins @ Jan 23, 2012 -> 11:02 AM)
That isn't what is happening though. This is more like calling out employees for bad behavior or saying that certain problems were caused by one person who was sacked. The company is still fundamentally right and will be ok.

Except its not really if you look at it. Fpr example, he said the OF defense was bad, three of those guys are back this year in Rios, Viciedo, and De Aza. He even mentioned De Aza shouldn't be a CF, that he'd be better in LF.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Jan 23, 2012 -> 11:04 AM)
Yeah, to anyone who will listen at least.

But like I said, Hawk is entertainment and I do appreciate him. I don't worry about him being homeristic, it's just a part of the show that I enjoy. Just lets not try to paint him as current, completely informed or fully aware, which may or may not been the intention of some earlier in the thread. He knows what he knows, but he is history based. Which is fine for what he does.

So let's see your twitter feed, or however you are publicly slamming your employer.

He pretty much said Ozzie let this team lose their edge after 2008. It definitley turned into the Ozzie show and less about the actual team. That is where I think Robin WILL be solid- the focus will now be in the basics of baseball. I agree with Hawk, Coach Robin will be a breath of fresh air. This team won't go far this year, but it will be nice to see guys like Morel, Viciedo, Beckham & De Aza progress through out the season! Im also interested in our new young arms!

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jan 23, 2012 -> 11:19 AM)
He pretty much said Ozzie let this team lose their edge after 2008. It definitley turned into the Ozzie show and less about the actual team. That is where I think Robin WILL be solid- the focus will now be in the basics of baseball. I agree with Hawk, Coach Robin will be a breath of fresh air. This team won't go far this year, but it will be nice to see guys like Morel, Viciedo, Beckham & De Aza progress through out the season! Im also interested in our new young arms!

This is what I'll try to remember (and let me seriously emphasize the word try) when we're more than likely 10 games out in June/July. This is a developmental year. If any of the "big" four decides to attempt to earn their salary, and in Beckham's case justify his draft position and expectations following '09, that'll just be a big ass bonus.

The Spring Training stuff is spot on. For as much as I think 2012 will suck, there is always a part of me that's like Mulder. I want to believe, because I love baseball so much and the White Sox. So it's a good thing that any expectations I have will be either dashed or surprised by the first month of the season. If the Sox have a great April and are actually beating the Central opponents I might get excited. If it's the same old same old in April. I'll know to temper any excitement and just look at individual progress on the young guys.

Also, for as much as I've ripped the Robin hiring (and still don't like it all that much, but my hatred of it has declined) I think his possible effect on Morel could be one of the best things about 2012. I just think with his knowledge of the position and struggles early in his career as well, if he can say the right things and strike a chord with Brent he could have one of the better seasons of any of the Sox young players.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 23, 2012 -> 11:06 AM)
Except its not really if you look at it. Fpr example, he said the OF defense was bad, three of those guys are back this year in Rios, Viciedo, and De Aza. He even mentioned De Aza shouldn't be a CF, that he'd be better in LF.

He said that about Rios, not De Aza.

QUOTE (daggins @ Jan 23, 2012 -> 11:57 AM)
Guys im sorry im just really negative and on the brink of insanity from lack of baseball and nothing i've seen this offseason or the three seasons previous has given me any faith that this team is going to get any better. Ill be watching, though, just like everyone else here.

At the time the Adam Dunn signing didnt give you any faith....I almost think people would be lying if they said it didnt

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Jan 23, 2012 -> 09:50 AM)
J4L, Hawk promises optimism every preseason, and then the next year he explains how awful everything went, and how last offseason he was telling his wife in the car that last year was about to be bad.

Read better or remember better, maybe both. He does this every year.

Someone homeristic can criticize, as Hawk does above. But if he'd ever criticize before the year happens, before a mgr gets fired.... i mean by saving it all for later, it just comes off as more gutless or company-line-ish.

Early last season, when the Sox were struggling, Hawk was on ESPN1000 and he said that when the Sox started hitting, they would run away with the division. He rarely says anything negative about the Sox during the season. And, I can't remember the details, but wasn't Hawk mad at Jack McDowell for being critical of the Sox or a Sox player? To the point that McDowell will likely never get the fill in duty again when Stone is off - or am I imagining things?

I've heard Brenley be critical of the Cubs during the season - specifically about Zambrano.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jan 23, 2012 -> 05:58 PM)
Hawk actually being realistic and somewhat critical? Weird. He'll be back to the normal, awful, embarrasment of an announcer soon enough I'm sure.

Wow. I'm glad he's the Sox announcer. I think he's great.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 23, 2012 -> 01:45 PM)
Wow. I'm glad he's the Sox announcer. I think he's great.

I think he's one of the worst parts of the White Sox organization. A rambling, idiotic, bellowing, cliched, unprofessional fool. I long for the day he's put out to pasture. It's a shame I have to miss out on Steve Stone because of how unbearable his partner is. Until then, I make use of MLB Gameday Audio and listen to opposing announcers who at least have more of a clue than Hawk.

Edited by DirtySox