The Hawk speaks

southsider2k5

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hawk is apart of the organization. It is not his job to criticize, and I'm sure it's not encouraged. I think he gave the best answer he could without being an asshole that starts a media frenzy, escpecially when he is not a very important part of the team.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jan 23, 2012 -> 08:54 PM)
I think he's one of the worst parts of the White Sox organization. A rambling, idiotic, bellowing, cliched, unprofessional fool. I long for the day he's put out to pasture. It's a shame I have to miss out on Steve Stone because of how unbearable his partner is. Until then, I make use of MLB Gameday Audio and listen to opposing announcers who at least have more of a clue than Hawk.

Let's take your points.

Hawk is ...

• rambling: They have to fill the airtime. I don't think he rambles that much.

• Idiotic: Why would you say that? He's played baseball, seen a lot of ball. Idiotic? I say no to that.

• Bellowing: I like his home run call.

• Cliched: Maybe, but aren't all announcers more cliched than Hawk? How can you say Hawk has no clue.

He also actually criticizes the team some which NO OTHER team does except maybe the Cubs announcers too.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 24, 2012 -> 01:38 AM)
Let's take your points.

Hawk is ...

• rambling: They have to fill the airtime. I don't think he rambles that much.

• Idiotic: Why would you say that? He's played baseball, seen a lot of ball. Idiotic? I say no to that.

• Bellowing: I like his home run call.

• Cliched: Maybe, but aren't all announcers more cliched than Hawk? How can you say Hawk has no clue.

He also actually criticizes the team some which NO OTHER team does except maybe the Cubs announcers too.

I'm okay with Hawk. To me he's entertaining, and he will lay down some criticisms. But he does ramble, you have to admit that. How often does he start talking about guys no one has ever heard of?

Is anyone shocked that Hawk is optimistic about the White Sox?

They lost Mark Buehrle (which probably was the correct thing), traded their closer (which creates a question mark until Addison Reed proves he can handle the job), and their 2nd best power hitter/run producer from last year.

In return, they got help for the future, although no top prospects and more middling types.

They also depend heavily on 3 guys needing big years (Peavy, Dunn and Rios) as well as a starting rotation with no ace holding it together with Peavy, and 2 unproven talents (Sale, who does have a good future, and Humber).

I'm not saying the White Sox can't surprise, but the facts don't matter to Hawk.

I'm clueless as to what I'd expect from Beckham or Peavy, but of the four guys he brought up at the beginning, Dunn is the one I expect to see most turn it around. It was either mental (a combination of the switch to DH, playing for a competitive team, and the Ozzie/Kenny clown show), or, in a year that the NL MVP asterisked himself, you have to at least entertain a more sinister possibility. I lean toward the former- purely because of the nonexistent expectations for this team, and the managerial change. Remember this guy? He was pretty spot on in what he wrote; with the exception being that he had Dunn actually hitting (meaningless) HR's.

As for Morel, Hawk of all people won't say anything negative about the incumbent third baseman who hit eleventy HR's in the last month of a lost season, but I'm pretty skeptical about how that carries over into 2012. Who knows, maybe the diminished expectations will help here similarly to how I think they'll help Dunn.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jan 23, 2012 -> 05:31 PM)
Harry Caray and Jimmy Piersall and they fired them
Harry Caray was not fired. He was offered a contract extension but did not wish to go on Sportsvision where he correctly assumed he would mostly be announcing to himself. Harry took the Cubs job where he was pretty much ordered to tone it down and be a houseman, which he was.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Jan 24, 2012 -> 01:08 PM)
I'm okay with Hawk. To me he's entertaining, and he will lay down some criticisms. But he does ramble, you have to admit that. How often does he start talking about guys no one has ever heard of?
It's your own fault you never heard of them. Hawk has his supporters and his detractors. He has declined and become more cliche ridden and cranky as he's aged. I'd still take him over the modern day blow dried phony assholes that populate the TV and airwaves these days.