Official 2011-2012 NFL Thread

• Replies 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jul 26, 2011 -> 11:30 AM)
This is getting ugly.

Bengals owner Mike Brown finally acknowledged Tuesday that Carson Palmer has retired from football.

Palmer would be willing to play if the Bengals traded him, but Brown reiterated that won't happen. "Carson signed a contract, he made a commitment," said Brown. "He gave us his word. ... We expected him to perform here. If he is going to walk away from his commitment we aren’t going to reward him for doing it." It's nice to see Brown finally concede the obvious, but it doesn't mean he's any less stubborn. It's a shame for a player with 2-3 halfway decent seasons left.

Halfway decent is a stretch. He was Mr. Pick 6. I would not want my favorite football team to be depending on Carson Palmer, no way.

According to 670, the Bears have informed their wide receiver corps that they will not be seeking an upgrade via free agency at their position.

Such a stubborn franchise when it comes to wide receivers... f***ing A.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 26, 2011 -> 12:49 PM)
According to 670, the Bears have informed their wide receiver corps that they will not be seeking an upgrade via free agency at their position.

I think the Over/Under on Cutler INTs just went up.

I will forgive them if they get a stud OL and clean up the defense.

What? You dont think Sanzenbacher is an upgrade???

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 26, 2011 -> 01:14 PM)
Details please.

http://espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/story/_/id/...layed-part-exit

Ex-Bear Brad Maynard glad to move on

Email

Print

Comments9

ESPNChicago.com

CHICAGO -- Brad Maynard's exit from the Chicago Bears was no surprise to the veteran punter especially after enduring a deteriorating relationship the past year and a half with special teams coach Dave Toub.

Maynard was told by the coaching staff in late January that his chances of returning to the team were slim during an exit physical following the NFC Championship Game loss to the Green Bay Packers.

"I think hearing it was the hardest part," Maynard said Tuesday on "The Waddle & Silvy Show" on ESPN 1000. "I kind of prepared myself this entire offseason, prepared my wife and my kids for this day. I truly didn't believe I would be back in a Bears uniform next year. When I left my last day I cleaned out my entire locker. I took every single item with me.

Waddle & Silvy

Brad Maynard joined "Waddle & Silvy" to discuss moving on from the Bears, his rocky relationship with special teams coach Dave Toub and punting in Chicago.

More Podcasts »

"I felt the same as [the Bears] felt. I felt like I needed a change as well. Not to say that I wouldn't have come back if we talked to them and we could work out a deal and maybe put a few clauses in there which I'll keep to myself. I kind if felt like I needed a change as well and had my heart set on going elsewhere."

Maynard, who signed with the Bears as a free agent before the 2001 season, was the second-longest tenured Bear behind long snapper Patrick Mannelly. He is still considered one of the top directional punters in the NFL, and placed 24 punts inside the 20-yard line last year.

But he said his relationship with Toub began to unravel late in the 2009 season.

"[Toub] always used to let me call the direction of every kick," Maynard said. "I'd come up to him on the sidelines and say, 'Hey, let's go left here.' And he would just relay the message to all the guys standing around. Late in the '09 season I ran up there and said, 'Let's go left,' and it was 'No, I'm calling it from now on, we're going right.' It just kind of took me aback a little bit.

"I talked to Patrick and [kicker] Robbie [Gould] about this from that point on over the next couple years and there were times when I literally would say left and he would say right and I would say I can't go right. The wind is blowing right to left, we need to go left. If I hit it right down the middle it's going to carry down the left sideline, and he wouldn't let me do it.

"I've had some teammates say you call the direction and we'll cover it. Just let us know. But I can't do that. I'm not that type of player. I'm not selfish. I'm going to do what my coach asks me to do."

Bears coaches are not permitted to speak with the media until training camp officially opens on Friday.

ESPNChicago.com Bears blog

Bears blog Get the latest Bears news from ESPN Chicago.com's Jeff Dickerson and Michael Wright. Blog

• ESPNChicago.com

• ESPN.com: NFC North

The Bears took issue with Maynard's statistical performance in 2010, when he averaged 40.1 yards per kick to go along with a net average of 35.2 yards. Some in the organization believed Maynard, 37, is no longer suited to kick in a cold-weather city like Chicago.

In February, the Bears signed punter Richmond McGee, who spent parts of last season on the practice squad, and also figure to be in the market for a veteran free agent.

Gould is sorry to see his good friend go.

"He's helped Dave Toub's career tremendously by the fact of having a punter that can do what he did," Gould said. "He'll continue to do it. I think he's got a lot of years ahead of him. He's a veteran, knows how to punt, done a great job. Would I love to have him back? Absolutely. But unfortunately, right now that's not the decision I have to make because I'm a player. I have to put the ball through the uprights, that's what I get paid to do. That's why [coach] Lovie [smith], [general manager] Jerry [Angelo] and the rest of the organization gets paid to make those decisions."

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 26, 2011 -> 02:47 PM)
Harris & Wright are the starters. Drafted Conte this year. Steltz is on the roster, but he is awful at football. Probably could use more depth.

In other words, it might not hurt to work him out, but there's no reason to rush on it if someone else wants to offer him money, and you might as well treat him as about the level of a UDFA.

I see from checking the Bears have already grabbed 3 UDFA's who can play some safety too.