Official 2011-2012 NFL Thread

• Replies 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (lord chas @ Aug 3, 2011 -> 11:54 AM)
yeah if he couldnt get it done with the jets with rex ryan giving him multiple chances hes not getting it done anywhere

He was good in college matching up favorably with several NFL players including Jake Long, however I think he may have been juicing. OSU runs a 3-4 primarily and his role was straight pass rushing, something the Bears dont really do.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 3, 2011 -> 11:29 AM)
Peppers was awesome last year, without a good partner in crime. Imagine how much more dominant he could be if teams had to worry about Osi as well.

I thought Izzy was damn good last year. Was apparently the only defensive lineman in the NFL last year to not miss a tackle. Plus he racked up 8.5 sacks.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 3, 2011 -> 10:31 AM)
Apparently my boy Sanzenbacher has been impressing coaches with his hands and route running. I think he'll see the field quite a bit this season.

I don't think he'll make the team unless they carry 6 WR's. They've done it in the past though, so it's certainly possible. As is the practice squad.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 3, 2011 -> 01:03 PM)
I don't think he'll make the team unless they carry 6 WR's. They've done it in the past though, so it's certainly possible. As is the practice squad.

Especially if they can make use of a guy or two on special teams (they'll need to now that Davis is gone) I'd just assume they'd carry 6.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 3, 2011 -> 11:19 AM)
Especially if they can make use of a guy or two on special teams (they'll need to now that Davis is gone) I'd just assume they'd carry 6.

Sam Hurd will probably be the Rashied Davis replacement, he's known for being a very good special teams player. The Bears didn't carry 6 WR's out of camp last year, but I know they did at least the 2 seasons before that though. I like Sanzenbacher, and would have no problem with him making the team outright.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Aug 3, 2011 -> 11:53 AM)
Yup, if you're not going to spend that money in other areas, then you may as well pay that money in the area you are willing to pay for. But I think the Bears will be to cheap anyways to do this type of move.

The Bears aren't cheap. They just don't go spending money just for the sake of doing it. They don't go blowing a wad of cash on Nnamdi just because he's there. But they need a DE, and Peppers is there... hey here's 99 million.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 3, 2011 -> 06:15 PM)
The Bears aren't cheap. They just don't go spending money just for the sake of doing it. They don't go blowing a wad of cash on Nnamdi just because he's there. But they need a DE, and Peppers is there... hey here's 99 million.

With the holes this team has, and the payroll they have now, they are cheap as hell if they don't start spending.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Aug 3, 2011 -> 09:37 AM)
Tatupu is from San Diego but grew up in Massachusetts so I don't think he's Hawaiian. Rather, he's Samoan.

I knew he grew up in California, but the name sounds so Hawaiian, so I thought he had to be of Hawaiian descent.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 3, 2011 -> 05:17 PM)
With the holes this team has, and the payroll they have now, they are cheap as hell if they don't start spending.

I really don't see how anybody could say the Bears AREN'T cheap. There's far too much evidence out there against such an argument. I will say that it'd have been almost impossible for them to fill all or most of their holes this summer with as many as they have though. So, if they are going to gradually increase spending and attempt to fill holes that route, I get the logic behind it.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 3, 2011 -> 07:50 PM)
I really don't see how anybody could say the Bears AREN'T cheap. There's far too much evidence out there against such an argument. I will say that it'd have been almost impossible for them to fill all or most of their holes this summer with as many as they have though. So, if they are going to gradually increase spending and attempt to fill holes that route, I get the logic behind it.

Last off-season they didn't seem that cheap?

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 3, 2011 -> 06:51 PM)
Last off-season they didn't seem that cheap?

They were actually respectable last season, 11th in payroll I believe. Even so, I can't help but say WTF when I see them behind the Jacksonville Jaguars in spending during an uncapped year.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 3, 2011 -> 08:41 PM)
last offseason the entire management and coaching staffs had their jobs on the line

How long are their contracts now? Could they get the boot with a 4-12 season? Not that the McCaskeys would do such a thing.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 3, 2011 -> 09:41 PM)
last offseason the entire management and coaching staffs had their jobs on the line

The season before that (or the one before that, s*** I forget cuz the seasons all run together) they had spent 108 out of a 109 million salary cap.

When is the last time the Bears were hamstrung by a bad contract to some s***ty free agent they grossly overpaid that didn't come anywhere close to meeting expectations? Pretty much never, right? When is the last time they didn't have the flexibility to make a move if they needed to, or to extend a player near the end of his deal? Even when they signed Peppers, they gave him almost all of his guaranteed money in the first year so they could cut bait if it didn't work out (obviously that's not happening but still).

So, Merrill Hoge is on ESPN saying his usual stuff about Tebow's mechanics and how Denver created a bad situation for themselves by drafting a guy in the first round who clearly didn't belong there. Tebow tweeted something like "Thanks for the suggestions Merrill" in reply.

Then...Lebron James decided to chime in on Twitter to defend Tebow.

James took to Twitter on Wednesday, supporting Tebow and proclaiming, "Tim Tebow will succeed in the NFL. He's a hard worker, a student of the game, a natural born leader and most of all a WINNER! It takes time and he'll be nice."

James' tweets were in response to comments from ESPN NFL analyst Merril Hoge's criticism of Tebow earlier Wednesday on Twitter and "SportsCenter."

Hoge wrote on Twitter: "Sitting watching tape off bronco offense from last year! Orton or Tebow? It's embarrassing to think the broncos could win with tebow!!"

Appearing on "SportsCenter" on Wednesday, Hoge, a former running back with the Pittsburgh Steelers, offered a strong critique of Tebow's game.

"He is awful as far as accuracy goes and what's kind of even more disturbing, he's probably worse moving and running around with the football and throwing than he is from the pocket," Hoge said. "Can you get better there? A little bit. If everything is perfect, the pocket, your feet are good, all your fundamentals come into place, the coverage is what you want it, you can be successful. But that doesn't happen at the National Football League. Rarely does that happen."

James, the Miami Heat star who has dealt with his own share of media criticism, then used Twitter to back Tebow late Wednesday night.

"Listened to Merril Hoge today on SC and he was just blasting Tebow. The man hasn't even play a full season and its only his 2nd year in," James wrote. "Guys get on that TV and act like they was all WORLD when they played. How bout encouraging him and wishing him the best instead of hating!!"

Tebow, who is entering his second season with the Denver Broncos, responded to Hoge as well on Twitter, saying, "Hey Merril...... 'ppreciate that."

I never really viciously disliked Tebow, but I'm not sure I have a choice now.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 4, 2011 -> 08:04 AM)
If anything, I like Tebow and LeBron more now. Hoge is a total moron. I can't stand him and don't know how anybody can.

Trent Dilfer is much worse. And I can't stand Tebow or James so I digress with Hodge's comments.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 4, 2011 -> 08:34 AM)
If the Patriots are willing to do it, that means it is the right move.

And the Bears pick will be much more attractive for the Giants. Odds are, the Pats will have the better record.