Official 2011-2012 NFL Thread

• Replies 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Aug 4, 2011 -> 08:09 AM)
Trent Dilfer is much worse. And I can't stand Tebow or James so I digress with Hodge's comments.

I enjoyed listening to Trent Dilfer a couple weeks ago say on Mike & Mike that no team can win the Super Bowl with a bad quarterback, even though the Ravens won the Super Bowl with... Trent Dilfer. What a tool.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 4, 2011 -> 07:04 AM)
If anything, I like Tebow and LeBron more now. Hoge is a total moron. I can't stand him and don't know how anybody can.

Well someone has to actually look at reality when it comes to Tebow. The Broncos' beat reporters in Denver are admitting Tebow isn't even close to Orton in practice, and honestly is getting beaten out by Brady Quinn.

So now Hoge is an ass because he is pointing out that Tebow lacks any actual NFL quarterbacking skills?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 4, 2011 -> 09:54 AM)
Well someone has to actually look at reality when it comes to Tebow. The Broncos' beat reporters in Denver are admitting Tebow isn't even close to Orton in practice, and honestly is getting beaten out by Brady Quinn.

So now Hoge is an ass because he is pointing out that Tebow lacks any actual NFL quarterbacking skills?

It's still early in practices, I'll give Tebow that. But that organization made a terrible mistake already giving Tebow the job publically.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 3, 2011 -> 09:41 PM)
The season before that (or the one before that, s*** I forget cuz the seasons all run together) they had spent 108 out of a 109 million salary cap.

When is the last time the Bears were hamstrung by a bad contract to some s***ty free agent they grossly overpaid that didn't come anywhere close to meeting expectations? Pretty much never, right? When is the last time they didn't have the flexibility to make a move if they needed to, or to extend a player near the end of his deal? Even when they signed Peppers, they gave him almost all of his guaranteed money in the first year so they could cut bait if it didn't work out (obviously that's not happening but still).

You're right, they haven't been cheap lately. I should have said that, but I wanted to point out why their spending binge last year might be a little clouded by other factors.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 4, 2011 -> 09:54 AM)

Preachers vs reality. Tebow isnt the best QB in camp, but pointing that out makes you an ass.

Hoge is doing his job, he said nothing wrong.

From Tebow's tweet you get the feeling that he's going to use Merril's words as motivation so good for him and as usual Lebron has no clue what the hell he's talking about.

I understand that it was the last 3 weeks of 3 teams relatively meaningless seasons at that point, but he was pretty damn good in the final 3 weeks of the season. 4:3 TD:INT, was apparently looking downfield, was able to run the ball too. Meanwhile, Orton has played in 62 career games and has been in the league for 6 years. I sure hope he looks better in camp.

I think Tebow will be fine. Average to slightly above average QB with an incredible work ethic and will win a lot of games late or with his feet. He's going to be fine. Tebow can still be the type of guy who can define a franchise and be that franchise player, which is something Kyle Orton never will be.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 4, 2011 -> 01:09 PM)
I understand that it was the last 3 weeks of 3 teams relatively meaningless seasons at that point, but he was pretty damn good in the final 3 weeks of the season. 4:3 TD:INT, was apparently looking downfield, was able to run the ball too. Meanwhile, Orton has played in 62 career games and has been in the league for 6 years. I sure hope he looks better in camp.

I think Tebow will be fine. Average to slightly above average QB with an incredible work ethic and will win a lot of games late or with his feet. He's going to be fine. Tebow can still be the type of guy who can define a franchise and be that franchise player, which is something Kyle Orton never will be.

Orton has thrown 41TDs and 21 INTs for the Broncos since he has been there, he may not be as fast as Tebow but I just dont see what Orton has done wrong to throw this at Tebow.

I just dont see him as the type that can define a franchise either. #notbuyingintothehype

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 4, 2011 -> 08:34 AM)
If the Patriots are willing to do it, that means it is the right move.

And the Bears have the Panthers third-round pick which should be around 65, so giving up what would be a late second-round pick isn't that bad when you have a real early third-round pick, too.

Except for more speed and a stronger arm, Vick and Tebow have similar styles. Both have had limited touch and both are/were run-first QBs.

Tebow is quick for a QB, very strong, and smart.

If he works on his touch, he can have an equivalent to Orton's arm and be okay.

QUOTE (knightni @ Aug 4, 2011 -> 06:08 PM)
Except for more speed and a stronger arm, Vick and Tebow have similar styles. Both have had limited touch and both are/were run-first QBs.

Yaaaa except the two differences you mentioned are EXTREME differences.

facepalm8.jpg

QUOTE (knightni @ Aug 4, 2011 -> 06:08 PM)

So basically they are totally different other than being left-handed?

QUOTE (knightni @ Aug 4, 2011 -> 06:49 PM)
I'm saying that he is fast but not Vick fast. Vick has a more powerful arm but neither had any touch when they came into the league.

its just not the same. you are comparing a ferarri to a escalade. Tebow is a powerful downhill runner, a bulldozer. Vick is a elusive speedburner that will make you miss and then be gone.

Tebow 40 time, 4.7

Jay Cutler 40 time, 4.81

Michael Vick 40 time, "It has been reported that Michael Vick's 40 time was 4.36."

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2011/2/...erback-40-times

Just so you know here are the top 5 from this season:

1. Tyrod Taylor, Virginia Tech: 4.45

2. Jake Locker, Washington: 4.52

3. Colin Kaepernick, Nevada: 4.53

4. Josh Portis, Cal U-Penn: 4.56

5. Cam Newton, Auburn: 4.58

The difference between Vick and Tebow can be summarized as follows (imo).

When it comes to Vick you have to game plan to stop the run because he is as good or better than some NFL starting RB's with the ball in his hands.

When it comes to Tebow you have to game plan to stop the run because hes just not that good of a passer.

The lowest Ive ever seen him timed at is 4.6 (official or unofficial), but in my opinion he just isnt blazing. I dont really think Vick is a good comparison, because what makes Vick is the fact he has top end WR/RB speed at the QB position. Tebow does not have that, he will never have that. The only way Tebow can be successful is if he becomes accurate. Even Steve Young allegedly had sub 40 time and he wasnt going to make it on his legs alone.

Tebow just really needs to focus on throwing first. They even say that about Vick who is by far a more talented runner.

Tebow's running problem is that he's more of a power runner than a Michael Vick "you didn't effing see that" runner. That's fine for most people in the NFL...but a QB as a power runner is eh...because how does that guy stay healthy?