Official 2011-2012 NFL Thread

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 14, 2011 -> 01:53 AM)
Come on homers. Out of all the NFL preseason games I watched our O-LIne was the worst. Carimi was the best on ur line which is a bad omen. Lance Louis is not an NFL players, nd Garza is a guard. They have a TON of work to do to make this a decent offensive squad.

Well, for most of them, that was the first real game that they've played at those positions with that system.

I'm sure that they'll improve at least some by week 1.

• Replies 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Aug 14, 2011 -> 06:53 PM)
Cowboys and Rams won. I'm happy so far.

Don't think there's much doubt the Cowboys will rack up points this season, especially if the key pieces can remain healthy.

It's the other side of the ball which is still the problem. We've gotten better at some spots e.g FS with Elam, but I think at least for the 1st half of the season we'll struggle on that side of the ball trying to learn Ryan's system.

QUOTE (knightni @ Aug 14, 2011 -> 07:05 AM)
Well, for most of them, that was the first real game that they've played at those positions with that system.

I'm sure that they'll improve at least some by week 1.

The weakest links were louis, Williams and garza at center. The f***ing rook looked better. Spencer lOoked good and he should move in so garza can be a guard.

Kudos to Wisconsin, ridiculous line prospects.

We can't lose Kreutz, toss a 32 year old in his place who's never played the position, and have the same awful O-Line returning from last year save the addition of a rookie and expect this s*** to improve.

Over/Under on Cutler starts is set at 12. Go.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Aug 13, 2011 -> 06:46 PM)
How many games have you seen Carimi play? Because I dont know how you can say "he doesnt have the athletic ability" without watching him.

This was actually Tice's assessment. He said Carimi is the better run blocker, Webb is the better athlete, and in the NFL, he believes the tackle that is the better athlete needs to be playing LT.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 14, 2011 -> 09:00 AM)
This was actually Tice's assessment. He said Carimi is the better run blocker, Webb is the better athlete, and in the NFL, he believes the tackle that is the better athlete needs to be playing LT.

What does Tice know?

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 14, 2011 -> 09:43 AM)
from Dan Pompei's twitter

Not what I said. Speculative note raising the possibility. RT @NEPatriotsDraft @danpompei reports Ocho, Haynesworth likely to be cut.

Thats no shock at all

The dude called it a career in Washington.. hes lazy and just doesn't care

QUOTE (T R U @ Aug 14, 2011 -> 11:33 AM)
Thats no shock at all

The dude called it a career in Washington.. hes lazy and just doesn't care

Haynesworth doesnt surprise me. Ochocinco does.

Both are kind of surprising in that respect that NE gave up draft picks for them, so they(NE) stand to lose more than just the players

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 14, 2011 -> 01:31 PM)
NFL preseason is such a joke, as is the fact they charge season ticket holders full price to watch Jay Cutler take six snaps.

And the only other home preseason game for Chicago is the preseason finale. So he'll either not play or get another 6 snaps for the home crowd.

Well if you are going to rely on someone else's assessment that is fine. I know that Tice is familiar with the Wisconsin program (his son is on the team), but I think this is one of those times where people need to focus on the play of the players, not the perceived, who is more athletic.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dspro...0&genpos=OT

Webb Combine Numbers:

Height: 6073

Weight: 328

40 Yrd Dash: 5.28

20 Yrd Dash: 2.93

10 Yrd Dash: 1.76 225 Lb. Bench Reps: 17

Vertical Jump: 26

Broad Jump: 08'05"

20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.80

3-Cone Drill: 7.82

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dspro...1&genpos=OT

Carimi Combine Numbers:

Height: 6070

Weight: 314

40 Yrd Dash: 5.18

20 Yrd Dash: 2.80

10 Yrd Dash: 1.78 225 Lb. Bench Reps: 29

Vertical Jump: 31 1/2

Broad Jump: 09'01"

20 Yrd Shuttle:

3-Cone Drill:

5.02/5.12/5.24 40 range before Combine

Just so you know, Carimi is faster, stronger and more agile than Webb. Carimi also won the Outland trophy as the best lineman in football (last year), was the starter at LT for Wisconsin for 49 games in 4 years (almost every game since being a redshirt freshman) and took over for some guy named Joe Thomas.

I personally think that the reason they are keeping Webb at LT is because he played there last year and they dont want to flip him again. They are using the rationale (more athletic) because most fans wont actually look at the numbers and see Carimi is actually the better athlete.

Ive been pretty quiet on Carimi all offseason because I didnt want to hype him to much, but he really is a far better athlete than reporters suggest.

They don't need some excuse to sell to the fans on why not to move Webb. The average fan, and even most hardcore fans are not going to know/care if they want to put Carimi at LT or RT before the season even starts. Lineman simply aren't scrutinized as closely as skill players.

You can post all the numbers you want, but I'll take Tice's word on this. And Webb may eventually get moved, but at this point, you'd like to think Tice, who has a very good reputation as a O-line coach, knows what he is doing.

Edited by iamshack

Right and the reason Tice (imo) is keeping Webb at LT is that he believes Carimi can learn and play RT better than Webb could learn and play RT.

Its possible that Carimi is both the best LT and RT on the team and that Tice believes that switching Webb would make them worse, thus putting Carimi at RT. Now a coach would never say this about a young player, so hes going with the assessment that cant be proven "athletic" to justify the decisions.

Im not making the numbers up, when I did the combine searching I assumed that my argument was going to be that Webb was slightly more athletic but that Carimi was more polished. I never thought that Carimi would be better in basically every category.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Aug 14, 2011 -> 02:20 PM)
I personally think that the reason they are keeping Webb at LT is because he played there last year and they dont want to flip him again. They are using the rationale (more athletic) because most fans wont actually look at the numbers and see Carimi is actually the better athlete.

Ive been pretty quiet on Carimi all offseason because I didnt want to hype him to much, but he really is a far better athlete than reporters suggest.

Someone tell me if I'm wrong, but Webb was the RT last season. Omifail, Williams, Kreutz, Garza, Webb, from Left to Right.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Aug 14, 2011 -> 12:43 PM)
Right and the reason Tice (imo) is keeping Webb at LT is that he believes Carimi can learn and play RT better than Webb could learn and play RT.

Its possible that Carimi is both the best LT and RT on the team and that Tice believes that switching Webb would make them worse, thus putting Carimi at RT. Now a coach would never say this about a young player, so hes going with the assessment that cant be proven "athletic" to justify the decisions.

Im not making the numbers up, when I did the combine searching I assumed that my argument was going to be that Webb was slightly more athletic but that Carimi was more polished. I never thought that Carimi would be better in basically every category.

That may very well be true. It may be optimizing the performance of the line.

Balta I think you are right, for some reason I thought he played LT.

(edit)

He was a LT in college so the move to RT last year was a switch for him and now hes back to the position he played more of. I guess that makes more sense.

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 14, 2011 -> 01:38 PM)
They don't need some excuse to sell to the fans on why not to move Webb. The average fan, and even most hardcore fans are not going to know/care if they want to put Carimi at LT or RT before the season even starts. Lineman simply are scrutinized as closely as skill players.

You can post all the numbers you want, but I'll take Tice's word on this. And Webb may eventually get moved, but at this point, you'd like to think Tice, who has a very good reputation as a O-line coach, knows what he is doing.

It's funny how you keep hearing how amazing Tice is as an O-line coach, but the guy who looks the best on the line is the one who's only had him as a coach for two weeks. And, you can say that it's Angelo's fault for not bringing in good talent, but it feels to me like Tice truly believed that he could develop this group of guys and told Angelo he didn't need free agents. I just don't buy into Tice. Hopefully, I'm wrong.

Don't get me wrong, though. I'm willing to give this line a preseason to "gel" before I actually start complaining about it.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 14, 2011 -> 08:53 AM)
The weakest links were louis, Williams and garza at center. The f***ing rook looked better. Spencer lOoked good and he should move in so garza can be a guard.

Explain how Williams looked like a weak link, exactly... he was probably the most consistent out there. He's really good at run blocking. I think a lot of people are really stuck on the past when it comes to Williams... he wasn't even bad at LG last year but people rip him nonstop.

The first-team OL had a bad first couple of series but eventually they got it together, for the most part. This is why I hate preseason... people have meltdowns, almost on cue, about glorified practice. Not a game, not a game. Not a game. We talkin' about practice. If it's the 3rd game of the preaseason and they still look a hot ass mess, or if they get their s*** pushed in against ATL (who has a weak secondary) then I will start having a hissy-fit. Also people keep talking about "9 sacks." Half of those sacks came in the 2nd half against other third stringers who probably won't even play, so I don't give a s***.

Either way, I refuse to start flipping out about the first game of the preseason.

Seriously though, Enderle getting sacked 5 times did not mean a god damn thing. I don't know why people keep talking about "9 sacks." The guys blocking for Enderle, half of them are going to be selling insurance or working on a construction crew somewhere once the season starts.

Seeing Hanie running around because of protection breakdowns from the first string OL is a reason to worry, but nothing that happened in the second half really means anything. At all.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 14, 2011 -> 07:53 AM)

What game were you watching? Williams played very well. Didn't make a single mistake. I watched each offensive play in the first half multiple times.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 14, 2011 -> 02:47 PM)
Explain how Williams looked like a weak link, exactly... he was probably the most consistent out there. He's really good at run blocking. I think a lot of people are really stuck on the past when it comes to Williams... he wasn't even bad at LG last year but people rip him nonstop.

The first-team OL had a bad first couple of series but eventually they got it together, for the most part. This is why I hate preseason... people have meltdowns, almost on cue, about glorified practice. Not a game, not a game. Not a game. We talkin' about practice. If it's the 3rd game of the preaseason and they still look a hot ass mess, or if they get their s*** pushed in against ATL (who has a weak secondary) then I will start having a hissy-fit. Also people keep talking about "9 sacks." Half of those sacks came in the 2nd half against other third stringers who probably won't even play, so I don't give a s***.

Either way, I refuse to start flipping out about the first game of the preseason.

You and I are on the same page. Give it some time. Though I'm still hoping Spencer gets 1st team reps at C and Garza at RG.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Aug 15, 2011 -> 12:53 AM)
What game were you watching? Williams played very well. Didn't make a single mistake. I watched each offensive play in the first half multiple times.

Well I only watched it once and saw him losing tackles every time they stunted and at times blocking absolutely nobody while Webb was stuck trying to block 2 guys. as a first round draft pick at tackle, I expect more out of him then the decent run blocking ability he has shown.