Official 2011-2012 NFL Thread

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 29, 2011 -> 03:23 PM)
The Bears have asked Chester Taylor to return to their facility Monday after deciding to release him earlier in the day.

According to ESPN Chicago, the Bears' coaching staff wants to keep Taylor, while the front office is pulling for his release

this.f***ing.team.

This might have something to do with Barber getting hurt last night.

• Replies 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My belief is this: Chester wanted clarity, after DNP Saturday. Lovie gave it to him but front office still trying to salvage pick before Sat

According to @skjensen of the suntimes.

Chances of Bears getting a draft pick in return before this news broke = Slim

Now = None

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Aug 29, 2011 -> 02:31 PM)
The Bears are a professional football team, yes? How does this s*** happen? First the Ravens trade screw up, then the family night fiasco and now this. WTF. No wonder we can't win the Superbowl.

The Ravens draft trade screw up is hardly the "first." The Bears excel at crap like this; i.e., the unchecked box with D'wayne Bates; the "hiring" of Head Coach Dave McGinnis, etc.

The Ravens draft trade screw up is hardly the "first." The Bears excel at crap like this; i.e., the unchecked box with D'wayne Bates; the "hiring" of Head Coach Dave McGinnis, etc.

**Roosevelt Colvin, not Dwayne Bates.

Or did they do it with Bates too? Oh, Bears.

EDIT3: Now I remember it was Warrick Holdman, or at least that he was one of them who they messed up.

Edited by DukeNukeEm

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Aug 29, 2011 -> 03:55 PM)
**Roosevelt Colvin, not Dwayne Bates.

Or did they do it with Bates too? Oh, Bears.

EDIT3: Now I remember it was Warrick Holdman, or at least that he was one of them who they messed up.

It was both, but it was worse with Bates. I googled and found this:

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2002-04...er-jerry-angelo

QUOTE (Chi Town Sox @ Aug 29, 2011 -> 12:06 PM)
bye bye Vernon Gholston too

He's making Rex Ryan look like a genius more and more before he is eventually out of the league. I think Hunter Hillenmeyer put it best when the Bears signed Gholston. "Looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane."

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 30, 2011 -> 09:40 AM)
MicheleSteele Michele Steele

by espnchijon

Just talked to @ProSportsCPA , if Mike Vick only makes the $40m guaranteed, after creditors & taxes, take home pay is abt $5.8m over 6 yrs

I was about to comment that he still owes a lot of people money.

Taylor takes the blame for the Cut mess.

Chester Taylor says the miscommunication was all his fault. A day after the veteran Chicago Bears running back bolted Halas Hall under the belief he was being released, he was back at practice.

Taylor even is expected to play in the preseason finale against the Cleveland Browns at Soldier Field on Thursday night, when coach Lovie Smith said a small group of starters will be held out.

“It was just a miscommunication,” Taylor said after practice Tuesday. “I thought something happened. I just took the words the wrong way, basically.”

The Bears are probably working to trade Taylor, who turns 32 next month, but they might not be able to find a taker. If they don’t, Taylor is expected to be released by Saturday. A source said Smith informed Taylor he wasn’t in the team’s plans when they met Monday morning.

“I don’t want to be released,” Taylor said. “I like it here in Chicago. I am going to continue playing and see what happens.”

http://espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/story/_/id/...d-chicago-bears

Defensive end Alex Brown said Wednesday that he's heard from three teams since being released from the New Orleans Saints on Tuesday, and he said one of those teams is the team that drafted him, the Chicago Bears.

Alex Brown Being I spent so much time there, and I know the system, and I know the coaches, Coach [Lovie] Smith is obviously a great guy I know I can talk to and trust, so that would be great.

” -- Alex Brown on

possibly returning to the Bears

But a Bears source said it's unlikely Brown will rejoin the team with which he spent his first eight seasons.

"I talked with my agent, and three teams have made contact," Brown said on "The Waddle & Silvy Show" on ESPN 1000. "We're just trying to figure out what's best for my family and what's a really good situation for me to go in.

"I would love to go play in a 4-3, so there are a lot of teams out there that still run a 4-3 that could use a defensive end that still has a little bit left. So hopefully I can find a good place that my family and I can feel comfortable with."

Brown also mentioned the Carolina Panthers and first-year coach Ron Rivera, who was the Bears' defensive coordinator when the team reached Super Bowl XLI in 2007.

"We're talking [with the Bears]," Brown said. "We have talked to them. We're seeing right now. There are a lot of things going on right now as far as cuts and people trying to get their rosters down, so we're trying to see. We're trying to see what's the best situation.

"Being I spent so much time there, and I know the system, and I know the coaches, Coach [Lovie] Smith is obviously a great guy I know I can talk to and trust, so that would be great. Carolina would be great too with Coach Rivera out there. That would be awesome. The door here isn't closed with the New Orleans Saints. We have a few options, and we'll wait and see what is best."

Waddle & Silvy

Alex Brown joined "The Waddle & Silvy Show" on ESPN 1000 and discussed possibly rejoining the Bears.

More Podcasts »

Brown praised the Saints, but he admitted it might be hard going back to a team that released him. The Bears released Brown on April 1, 2010, but whatever bitterness remains might be smoothed over by Brown's relationship with Smith.

"Did Alex leave on a good note here? Yes," Smith said Tuesday. "Alex Brown is a lifetime friend. I pull for him, was planning on pulling for him 15 games this season [the Bears face New Orleans in Week 2].

"We've seen Alex. Alex has been here before. We like our guys we have right now. There's great competition with the guys we have on our roster right now."

Brown said after he tweeted the news that he was being released Tuesday, the flood of responses from Bears fans was "amazing."

More From ESPNChicago.com

Can't get enough Bears information? ESPNChicago.com has all the latest on the Monsters of the Midway. Blog

"I really appreciated the support, and I really appreciate the love you have for myself and my family and the respect people give me for the way I played," said Brown, who kept his home in Chicago even after signing with New Orleans. "To be wanted back at a place that you spent so much time at, yeah, it's intriguing. I would definitely look at it, but it has to be what's best for my family and what's best for me.

"Hopefully that fits. If it fits, that's what we'll do. If not, we'll do something else. But the fans are awesome."

The former Florida star said: "It would be crazy to do another 'Gator Chop' in Soldier Field. That would be nuts."

Brown said he talked to a few of his former Bears teammates.

"It would be awesome to play with the guys again," he said. "I don't see where it would be a bad situation."

http://espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/story/_/id/...eed-sources-say

Talks between the Chicago Bears and running back Matt Forte have escalated to the point where the team has extended a contract offer worth in the neighborhood of up to $15 million guaranteed, sources indicated to ESPNChicago.com.

Given recent statements by general manager Jerry Angelo, and the fact the regular season is less than two weeks away, it appears negotiations are likely coming to a close whether or not Forte agrees to the deal, in which the total value and length weren't disclosed.

More From ESPNChicago.com

Can't get enough Bears information? ESPNChicago.com has all the latest on the Monsters of the Midway. Blog

The escalation of talks between the sides don't necessarily coincide with San Francisco running back Frank Gore's recently signing a three-year, $21 million extension, which included $13.5 million guaranteed. But the numbers certainly do. According to NFL sources, the Bears initially used the six-year contract worth $32 million ($10 million guaranteed) signed by Kansas City Chiefs running back Jamaal Charles as the base line for a potential Forte deal.

Considering Forte has rushed for more yards and scored more touchdowns than Charles, it makes sense the Bears would extend a more lucrative offer than the one signed by the Chiefs running back.

Since coming into the NFL in 2008 as a second-rounder out of Tulane, Forte ranks fifth in the NFL in yards from scrimmage (4,731) behind Tennessee's Chris Johnson, Minnesota's Adrian Peterson, Jacksonville's Maurice Jones-Drew and St. Louis' Steven Jackson.

Considering the long length of the negotiations, which began at the end of the NFL lockout, it appears there's a substantial gap between what the team is willing to pay and what the running back seeks in terms of compensation. Otherwise, Forte -- who even the Bears agree is underpaid -- would likely have jumped at the opportunity to sign the latest contract proposal.

Less than two weeks remain before Chicago's Sept. 11 opener at Soldier Field against the Atlanta Falcons, and both sides have stressed a desire to consummate a deal before that date. Based on Forte's not agreeing to the club's latest terms, it's becoming more and more likely negotiations could either cease or extend into the regular season.

Angelo said earlier in training camp that the team wanted "to do the right thing by Matt," but "at some point we have to draw a line in the sand, and now just focus on the season."

The question now is whether the Bears have actually drawn that line.

Michael C. Wright covers the Bears for ESPNChicago.com and ESPN 1000.