Official 2011-2012 NFL Thread

• Replies 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Sep 9, 2011 -> 09:29 AM)
That game last night was f***ing awesome. I have no idea why Payton would call a run to end the game when their run game was so ineffective, though.

Did you see the 4th and 1 pass implosion earlier in the game that led to a 20 yard sack on Brees?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 9, 2011 -> 08:34 AM)
I'd like to note that I'm impressed about the number of people saying a team that gave up 34 points at home, didn't make a strong showing on defense, and was 1 yard away from a chance to tie the game at the end, is the class of the NFC.

The Saints offense will end up being top 3 this year IMO. There aren't many defenses that could have done better.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 9, 2011 -> 08:34 AM)
I'd like to note that I'm impressed about the number of people saying a team that gave up 34 points at home, didn't make a strong showing on defense, and was 1 yard away from a chance to tie the game at the end, is the class of the NFC.

And considering that 14 other NFC teams have yet to play a meaningful game.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 9, 2011 -> 09:30 AM)
They have to play the Bears. Twice.

We'll see how that works out. I'm a big seller on the Bears this year. I think the changes in the kicking game are going to really, really hurt them this year. The offense was 2nd to last during the last season in drives of 70+ yards and they were 2nd in average field position. that means the defense is going to have to shoulder even more of the load than they already have. I am predicting ugly things from the Bears this year. Something like 5-11 or 6-10.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 9, 2011 -> 10:34 AM)
We'll see how that works out. I'm a big seller on the Bears this year. I think the changes in the kicking game are going to really, really hurt them this year. The offense was 2nd to last during the last season in drives of 70+ yards and they were 2nd in average field position. that means the defense is going to have to shoulder even more of the load than they already have. I am predicting ugly things from the Bears this year. Something like 5-11 or 6-10.

I've been wrong before (see: 2011 White Sox) but I really like what the Bears did this year. Went into the offseason with a list of issues that needed fixing...and have added a player or multiple players that should provide an upgrade at each of those positions.

O-Line...the catastrof***, added a first round pick, shuffled things around, got younger, got bigger, look a lot stronger, added a (hopefully) much better blocking TE.

Running game...2 yards and down Taylor is gone, Barber and Bell.

WR....added some height, everyone else winds up in the system for another year.

D-Line...Harris is Gone and replace by Okoye.

Secondary...Meriweather could be a major upgrade.

About the only places where the Bears could get worse are...as you noted, the kicking game, and the couple big vetereans on defense who might get old (Briggs, Url, Peppers). If there's no obvious falloff from those 3, I don't know how the team can get worse.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Sep 9, 2011 -> 10:38 AM)
I thought there was some nice return last night. Hell the Packers had a kick off return for a touchdown and they haven't done that since 2001.

Except there were what, 8 touchbacks, more than ever in a single game at Lambeau?

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Sep 9, 2011 -> 09:38 AM)
I thought there was some nice returns last night. Hell the Packers had a kick off return for a touchdown and they haven't done that since 2001.

True, but that was also brought out from 8 yards deep in the endzone. The very next one Cobb caught that far back, he downed. Most of the time, you won't see those brought out.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 9, 2011 -> 10:05 AM)
I hope you are right, but the NFL had to know that going in.

sometimes the leagues need to see the results and hear the complaints before changes are made. remember when the nba changed to the composite ball?

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 9, 2011 -> 10:11 AM)
sometimes the leagues need to see the results and hear the complaints before changes are made. remember when the nba changed to the composite ball?

Except that the NFL has already changed kick off distances before. They reason they went to the further distance was to encourage returns. They know that this is going to dramatically change the kick off game before they ever do it.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 9, 2011 -> 10:14 AM)
Except that the NFL has already changed kick off distances before. They reason they went to the further distance was to encourage returns. They know that this is going to dramatically change the kick off game before they ever do it.

of course they knew, that doesnt mean they wont change it when they set a record for touchbacks for an entire season by week 8