Official 2011-2012 NFL Thread

Hopefully we will be able to move Hester into the slot and use him like Welker next year finally, and declare an end to the "Hester is an outside receiver" experiment. I love the guy, and he is an explosive playmaker, but he's not consistent enough and he's not going to improve.

• Replies 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 25, 2011 -> 06:22 PM)
So is Martz, but he's a genius if he has good players. Turner wasn't bad with decent players either. 3 games into the season and the Bears playoff hopes are dwindling.

Turner was also one of the most predictable playcallers in the game. Martz has great tactic plays, but the problem with him is he is too predictable in the red zone with pass/empty backfield calls. It's like he wants Cutler to get his stats and not run the ball at all. He could of ran or had a QB draw on a few occasions in the red zone.

Oh and good times for WITE and the Bills... good times.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (daa84 @ Sep 25, 2011 -> 07:45 PM)
lots of big plays in the passing game were missed today for various reasons (cutler with poor throws, receivers dropping catchable balls, refs missing PI etc). The team misses earl bennett more than people realize

That's both very a true and a huge indictment of the talent level on this offense.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Sep 25, 2011 -> 07:51 PM)
Stellar defensive performance? What game were we watching? They were getting penetrated like a 20 dollar whore, the score was 14-0 before anybody really knew what was going on.

No that wasn't a comment on this specific game but on the only thing Bears fans can hope for for basically my entire life. Without a stellar defense, this team is dead because their offense is garbage every single year.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Sep 25, 2011 -> 08:56 PM)
No that wasn't a comment on this specific game but on the only thing Bears fans can hope for for basically my entire life. Without a stellar defense, this team is dead because their offense is garbage every single year.

Oh, yeah I agree. It's like they can never do all things on offense right at the same time. Strong running game, good blocking, decent receivers... no quarterback (the usual). Good quarterback, ok receivers, good running back... no blocking. Good quarterback, passable blocking, good running back... bad receivers.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Sep 25, 2011 -> 08:51 PM)
Stellar defensive performance? What game were we watching? They were getting penetrated like a 20 dollar whore, the score was 14-0 before anybody really knew what was going on.

If you told anyone before the game that the Packers would get to 27, you'd say that the Bears weren't likely to win.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 25, 2011 -> 08:19 PM)
If you told anyone before the game that the Packers would get to 27, you'd say that the Bears weren't likely to win.

Well that's exactly my point, you never, ever have hope of the Bears offense actually winning a game. It's always about the defense hold the other team to less than 20, then maybe the offense can scrape together enough points.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 25, 2011 -> 04:40 PM)
I dunno...considering everything, I thought the line had a decent game. Cutler had plenty of time most of the game. They couldn't run worth anything, which is on the line, but Cutler had the time he needed.

The line played pretty well all things considered. The non PI call on Hester was a huge call but the Bears horrific execution (drops & stupid penalties) really did them in. The Bears must lead the world in drops. Cutler wasn't brilliant but he wasn't horrible, either. He did a lot of things that would have had the Bears move the chains but the guys didn't execute, etc. Sometimes the poor execution put them in 3rd and long situations, again, not a good thing.

Ugly game but I expected to be 0-3 at this point. I think they will figure some stuff out, but it just blows my mind that this team overestimates how good its wideouts are, etc.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 26, 2011 -> 02:54 AM)
the optimist in me says 1-2 isnt a death sentence, and it can be overcome. but this has to be the bottom, they have to take the next step.

The pessimist in me sees this as what the bears are.

Boers and Bernstein are going to go off on Martz this week.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 25, 2011 -> 09:10 PM)
Boers and Bernstein are going to go off on Martz this week.

i really dont think they will as bad as you think. martz had to abandon the run, it just wasnt there. ripping martz for the pass/run diff is kind of stupid

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 25, 2011 -> 09:51 PM)
i really dont think they will as bad as you think. martz had to abandon the run, it just wasnt there. ripping martz for the pass/run diff is kind of stupid

Being a non-Bears, non-Packers fan, I don't think you can blame Martz either. The run simply wasn't there. They were getting stuffed. The pass was there. Cutler made some mistakes, the O-Line made some pass blocking mistakes and the WR's made mistakes.

Fact of the matter is, this is a game that falls on Jerry Angelo. You didn't address the OL, CB position or WR position when you had the money to. In fact, you lied to Bears fans and said the dumbest thing I've ever heard a GM say with that much money under the cap and with as big and glaring holes as the Bears, "Who else is out there that's better?" Hell, I'm better. Anyone you would've picked up is better. By simply picking up Carimi and calling it a day on the O-Line, by simply picking up Roy and calling it a day for the WR and not even bothering to improve the CB position just baffles me. But I'm sure he'll get another DLineman soon.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 25, 2011 -> 09:54 PM)
the optimist in me says 1-2 isnt a death sentence, and it can be overcome. but this has to be the bottom, they have to take the next step.

The pessimist in me sees this as what the bears are.

This is pretty much the worst part of their schedule, right here.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Sep 25, 2011 -> 11:43 PM)
Damn, really should have started Eli Manning this week. 26 pts for him vs. 12 for Matt Ryan. I think I need to make a trade, or pick up Ryan Fitzpatrick.

Now it comes down to Jason Witten (me) vs. Tony Romo (opponent). I'm down by 2. Not looking too good here.

Tell someone who cares, nobody here does!

Bears need to beat the Panthers and Lions or I don't have much hope in them being more than a .500 team.

Edited by GoodAsGould

Glad to see the Pack still got Cutler's number...he's now 1-5 vs. GB while starting for the Bears and 1-6 lifetime. It's hard to believe that the Bears were 7-3 vs. GB in the 5 years before Cutler arrived while starting guys like Rex Grossman, Brian Griese, and Kyle Orton. Given those GB teams weren't as good as they are now (except for '07) it is still an interesting stat.