Official 2011-2012 NFL Thread

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Oct 10, 2011 -> 11:02 PM)
I'd love to hear your argument as to why you don't consider Lovie a good coach because he clearly is. 56% winning percentage, two NFC championship game appearances and a Super Bowl appearance despite having terrible offensive personnel his entire tenure with the Bears.

This is a joke right? Did you watch the game? He is one of the worst decision makers in the league. Wasting challenges, wasting timeouts, terrible decision not to kick the FG. And how do you not give Barber the ball if you're looking at a 4th and less than one? f*** Martz, you're the goddamn head coach. And 9 false start penalties! After about 3 how do you not talk to your guys and come up with a silent count or some other plan to hike the ball? That team last night was completely and utterly unprepared. That's not just the lack of talent (which is a separate problem) that's just straight up terrible coaching.

I could care less about his winning percentage. He's lucky. Anyone watching this team the last 5 years knows that. You have hall of famers on defense and special teams. I could coach them to a 56% winning percentage. He's f***ing terrible.

• Replies 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Oct 10, 2011 -> 11:48 PM)
Lovie is a pretty good coach IMO. Far from great, but overall slightly above average. He was TERRIBLE tonight though. A stupid 4th and 1 call, a stupid challenge, 3 timeouts in the 1st quarter (although that was the offense, but it still comes back to the head coach), big plays galore being allowed by his defense specifically designed to stop big plays.

At the end of the day though, this is on Jerry Angelo. This defense is old, bad, and washed up right now. He hasn't done a good enough job infusing young talent on that side of the ball to go with the aging starters. And the offense is just laughable beyond Forte and Cutler. They've played 5 games, and already have NO shot at finishing higher than 3rd in the NFC North and 6th in the NFC as a whole.

Lovie has always struggled with the in-game decisions. Whether it be challenges, clock management, or timeouts. During the Super Bowl season, he almost cost them the Seattle playoff game with that ill-advised timeout. I do think he has been successful with the talent he has had though. He won divisions with Orton & Grossman at QB. But now with the players getting old & teams having figured his D out, he is having a really hard time adjusting his schemes. He hasn't been the best coach, but I think he has done well.

That being said, Jerry Angelo is #1 to blame. The drafting has been absolutely putrid. Players are getting old and there is no one available to replace them. In Lovie's defense, the safety position is super important. The Bears have drafted like 3 safeties in the past 3-4 seasons, yet all 3 are strictly special teams guys, while Harris & Meriweather (psycho head-hunter) suck it up out there. What happened to the awesome D-line depth they were supposed to have this year? 2nd round pick can't even dress for a game. I'm not even gonna get into the offensive side of the team.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Oct 10, 2011 -> 06:35 PM)
Anyone else think Angelo screwed up again with Stephen Paea DT as a 2nd round pick inactive for EVERY game so far? You do not draft players in the 2nd round not to play, good teams need them to contribute! :bringit

Yes. He is possibly the league's worst drafter.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Oct 10, 2011 -> 08:22 PM)
Are we to good for fgs? What the hell.

I cannot believe they passed on the opportunity to put 3 on the board on their opening drive. Players, Coaching, Management - all bad for Bears.

When's the last year of Lovie's new deal? I need to know when the Bears will have a magical season to save his ass yet again.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 11, 2011 -> 09:35 AM)
I cannot believe they passed on the opportunity to put 3 on the board on their opening drive. Players, Coaching, Management - all bad for Bears.

When's the last year of Lovie's new deal? I need to know when the Bears will have a magical season to save his ass yet again.

He got an extension last year for 3 years I believe, so we got him through 2013. This year he'll suck, next year we'll be mediocre, and he'll pull a division winning season in 2013 due to Rodgers and Johnson both getting knocked out for the year, earning him another 3 year extension. People will then praise him for being a great coach. The hellish cycle continues...

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Oct 10, 2011 -> 10:18 PM)
It just is odd. There are ways to protect your O-line, the Bears just refuse to do them. Empty sets are bad, lack of play action, no screens, no slants.

Oh look play action on first down.

The Mike Martz hire was destined to fail from the start.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 10, 2011 -> 10:56 PM)
The D has been the strength over his tenure. Coaching isnt great, but the players are god-awful.

There are two Wild Cards, but math need not be involved when discussing whether this Bears team is going to make the playoffs. They are horrendous!

I believe the Bears just got called for another false start!

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Oct 11, 2011 -> 09:12 AM)
I would not be offended or think less of Cutler if he demanded a trade after the season.

I think that's a card you can only play once before losing my respect.

Dude shoulda stayed in Denver instead of demanding that first one.

Edited by Steve9347

Can we please also talk about Devin Hester? NFL record or not, this dude clearly hurts us more than he helps us in his current role. He drops open passes, and as proven previously, when he has to be on the field on offense, he is not his usual self.

Catching a kickoff that is headed out of bounds, to run out of bounds at the 6, is probably the most bone-headed thing I have ever seen in a football game. That's 34 f***ing yards just given up due to stupidity.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 11, 2011 -> 09:54 AM)
Can we please also talk about Devin Hester? NFL record or not, this dude clearly hurts us more than he helps us in his current role. He drops open passes, and as proven previously, when he has to be on the field on offense, he is not his usual self.

Catching a kickoff that is headed out of bounds, to run out of bounds at the 6, is probably the most bone-headed thing I have ever seen in a football game. That's 34 f***ing yards just given up due to stupidity.

I don't understand why the Bears can't design plays to get him the ball with some blocking. Some screens, some reverses...anything.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 11, 2011 -> 09:57 AM)
I don't understand why the Bears can't design plays to get him the ball with some blocking. Some screens, some reverses...anything.

The entire world can read the bubble screen to Hester. It hasn't worked in years.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 11, 2011 -> 09:54 AM)

Devin Hester is the best kick/punt returner in the history of the NFL and is still doing well in that role (despite last night's gaffe). That in no way qualifies him to be a receiver though, let alone a #1 receiver. Keep him on ths special teams, throw him out there on offense for the occasional wildcat or trick play, but him playing every nearly snap on offense makes zero sense. He doesn't even have a size advantage, in fact he's probably smaller than most DBs.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 11, 2011 -> 09:57 AM)

I could just imagine how the Saints or Packers would use Hester in their offense, they would know how to use his talents effectively, unlike our sorry ass bunch.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Oct 11, 2011 -> 10:34 AM)
I could just imagine how the Saints or Packers would use Hester in their offense, they would know how to use his talents effectively, unlike our sorry ass bunch.

Right, that's what I mean. NO gets Sproles involved. I've seen GB get Cobb involved on a couple of offensive plays.

I also fail to understand why Cutler isn't in the shotgun 90% of the time. If that gives him an extra second or two, how is that a bad thing?

So yesterday I bought my 2 year old son his first Bears jersey, #34 :notworthy , and my wife quipped that that is basically child abuse, raising him to be a Bears fan, lol.

She said "let him be a Packers fan, you're just setting him up for years of frustration and failure as a Bears fan"...:crying.

Edited by MexSoxFan#1

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Oct 10, 2011 -> 09:04 PM)
This is sarcastic, right? I just want to be sure.

How can anyone say that Lovie isn't an above average coach? He's done an above average job with the Bears. Is he a special coach, no, is he a good coach, absolutely. It isn't his fault he's been hampered with garbage on offense.