Official 2011-2012 NFL Thread

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 21, 2011 -> 03:03 PM)
Depending on how the Bears' line performs the rest of the year...Omiyale, Lewis, Webb, and Williams is 4 guys who appear to be closing in on starter-quality, all of whom have been drafted in the last 2-3 years. You're not drafting a C in the first round and if you want a first round pick on the line, you have to pick one of those guys who you would be better off with a rookie instead of them.

Depth would help the Bears O line right now...but I still kinda like this set of guys. They need some health and to keep working. Their guards look solid, Webb is still a Q but he did dismantle Jared Allen last time out, and Omiyale we haven't seen in a while.

Omiyale is hot garbage. And I'd certainly wait more than 1 week to categorize these guys as starter quality.

• Replies 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 21, 2011 -> 03:03 PM)
Depending on how the Bears' line performs the rest of the year...Omiyale, Lewis, Webb, and Williams is 4 guys who appear to be closing in on starter-quality, all of whom have been drafted in the last 2-3 years. You're not drafting a C in the first round and if you want a first round pick on the line, you have to pick one of those guys who you would be better off with a rookie instead of them.

Depth would help the Bears O line right now...but I still kinda like this set of guys. They need some health and to keep working. Their guards look solid, Webb is still a Q but he did dismantle Jared Allen last time out, and Omiyale we haven't seen in a while.

Did you not watch that Lions game? This is his 7th season in the league, definitely wasn't drafted by the Bears.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 21, 2011 -> 02:10 PM)
WTF, I typed Omifail instead of Carimi.

I deserve scorn for this one.

Kind of figured after I re-read your post, still deserved to be called out on that for making such a horrendous mistake.

I'm pretty happy with how louis has been playing. He's not amazing, but he's able to do the crucial move, of getting back fast enough to let the DE over pursue and just push him off balance. Which Omiyale can't do, he just gets blown by.

Yeah...so Webb, Williams, Louis, Carimi.

Louis is playing well. Williams is playing well. Webb is just a 7th round pick but yes, he's showing flashes of playing well, like last week. And no one is benching Carimi just yet.

The Bears could blow a 3rd-4th rounder on their line or make a middling OT signing for depth. First round can go elsewhere barring career changing injuries.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 21, 2011 -> 03:14 PM)
Yeah...so Webb, Williams, Louis, Carimi.

Louis is playing well. Williams is playing well. Webb is just a 7th round pick but yes, he's showing flashes of playing well, like last week. And no one is benching Carimi just yet.

The Bears could blow a 3rd-4th rounder on their line or make a middling OT signing for depth. First round can go elsewhere barring career changing injuries.

Williams had a solid game against the Vikings but before that he was playing really, really poorly. He's gotta string together a few good games before I change my opinion of him.

I've been having the argument with my brother about Williams and Webb -- he thinks they're awful, while I only think they're bad because damn near everyone on that line is. I think if Williams and Webb were your 4th and 5th best linemen (of the starting 5, not of backups), they'd be perfectly fine. I've actually been pretty happy with Louis. Omiyale just needs to go away. Also, Kellen Davis is terrible, but Spaeth is decent.

If you don't want them to spend a first on OL, Balta, what route do you think they should go?

Edited by farmteam

I really don't get the hate on Kreutz. Jesus, everyone's so quick to flame. He did f***ing walk away. He could have collected a paycheck all year long. He was tired of looking like an idiot and left a lot of money on the table.

Yeah, what he did with the Bears was ill-advised... blame (and thank) his agent. Kreutz deserves nothing but praise for being a good soldier and a truly elite player at his position for more than a decade.

Man, I really hate how reactionary and negative everyone is to players at the end of their careers. It'd be f***ing hard for me to admit that I now sucked after many years of being awesome, too.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Oct 21, 2011 -> 04:32 PM)
If you don't want them to spend a first on OL, Balta, what route do you think they should go?

Depending on what's available...the Bears needs probably are, in order, WR, DB, DE, O-Line, with RB jumping up if they're really dumb.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 21, 2011 -> 03:34 PM)
Depending on what's available...the Bears needs probably are, in order, WR, DB, DE, O-Line, with RB jumping up if they're really dumb.

I'm not a fan of picking up WRs in the first round. I've always preferred to spend later picks on them, because, aside from a few truly beastly guys like the unrelated Johnson boys, there isn't enough of a disparity between later round guys to me. Also, I think WRs, more than any other position, rely on the talent around them, which makes them a slightly less important draft pick in my eyes.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Oct 21, 2011 -> 04:41 PM)
I'm not a fan of picking up WRs in the first round. I've always preferred to spend later picks on them, because, aside from a few truly beastly guys like the unrelated Johnson boys, there isn't enough of a disparity between later round guys to me. Also, I think WRs, more than any other position, rely on the talent around them, which makes them a slightly less important draft pick in my eyes.

Normally I'd agree with you.

However, my logic right now is...the Bears have no one with the actual physical skills to be a #1 WR. I had more confidence in this group this season and they've let me down again...they're still playing like a set of #2-6 receivers. The Bears need someone who Cutler can try to turn into a dominator...if the trade market can do it I'd be content, but I don't see it happening on the FA market.

Right now, the lack of a trusted WR is another thing hurting the Bears.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 21, 2011 -> 02:32 PM)
I really don't get the hate on Kreutz. Jesus, everyone's so quick to flame. He did f***ing walk away. He could have collected a paycheck all year long. He was tired of looking like an idiot and left a lot of money on the table.

Yeah, what he did with the Bears was ill-advised... blame (and thank) his agent. Kreutz deserves nothing but praise for being a good soldier and a truly elite player at his position for more than a decade.

Man, I really hate how reactionary and negative everyone is to players at the end of their careers. It'd be f***ing hard for me to admit that I now sucked after many years of being awesome, too.

Obviously...

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Oct 21, 2011 -> 04:22 PM)
I'd have to imagine a safety or corner would be the bears first pick. If a real beast wr/olb fall to them I could see that being taken too.

There are a lot of good WR's that could possibly come out next year, so I am hoping we might have an elite WR fall to us. Safeties are usually fairly plentiful, so I see us using later picks on that position. CB is another option, as not only do we need a #2 CB, but Peanut is starting to grow a little long in the tooth.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 22, 2011 -> 09:21 AM)
There are a lot of good WR's that could possibly come out next year, so I am hoping we might have an elite WR fall to us. Safeties are usually fairly plentiful, so I see us using later picks on that position. CB is another option, as not only do we need a #2 CB, but Peanut is starting to grow a little long in the tooth.

Also remember...the Bears don't need a guy who steps in and becomes Randy Moss immediately. They have a solid QB who can work with the WR over several years and let him develop too.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 22, 2011 -> 09:58 AM)
Also remember...the Bears don't need a guy who steps in and becomes Randy Moss immediately. They have a solid QB who can work with the WR over several years and let him develop too.

If he's not crippled in several years...

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 21, 2011 -> 04:59 PM)
Unfortunately, I am not sure a game breaking WR would fall to the Bears.

Blackmon, Jeffery, and Floyd will all be first rounders, with a couple other guys who are fringe 1/2 like Broyles. I'd say there's a good chance Floyd could fall to the Bears assuming their somewhere in the middle of the pack. I'm also a fan of AJ Jenkins. If Floyd was available to them and they passed, I think it'd be a huge mistake. I think Floyd is going to be an elite NFL WR.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Oct 22, 2011 -> 07:22 PM)
Blackmon, Jeffery, and Floyd will all be first rounders, with a couple other guys who are fringe 1/2 like Broyles. I'd say there's a good chance Floyd could fall to the Bears assuming their somewhere in the middle of the pack. I'm also a fan of AJ Jenkins. If Floyd was available to them and they passed, I think it'd be a huge mistake. I think Floyd is going to be an elite NFL WR.

Some site had Floyd going as high as #2 last week.

QUOTE (fathom @ Oct 22, 2011 -> 02:24 PM)
Some site had Floyd going as high as #2 last week.

I don't see that happening unless he has an incredible combine. Either way, it's way too early to be thinking about the draft. Guys draft stocks rise and fall a ton between now and the draft.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Oct 22, 2011 -> 08:26 PM)
I don't see that happening unless he has an incredible combine. Either way, it's way too early to be thinking about the draft. Guys draft stocks rise and fall a ton between now and the draft.

I don't think he'll have a great combine, as if he knew he could run a 4.3, he would have gone pro last year