Official 2011-2012 NFL Thread

• Replies 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Oct 24, 2011 -> 07:55 AM)
No pride, season is over, Peyton would have kept the defense off the field at least. Everyone in the world knew that Manning was one of if not the most valuable player in football but yeesh...

Yeah, it is amazing the drop off that Indy has experienced. New England didn't fall off anywhere close to this when they lost Brady for a season.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Oct 23, 2011 -> 10:46 PM)
Thank god the Colts are not in primetime anymore this year..............NBC will flex them out later in the year!

Wonder how much money they've lost for the league already this year. I know I flipped on for :20 last night to check the score and that was it.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Oct 24, 2011 -> 08:55 AM)
No pride, season is over, Peyton would have kept the defense off the field at least. Everyone in the world knew that Manning was one of if not the most valuable player in football but yeesh...

That defense was built to have Peyton Manning on the roster. When the other team knows the Colts are going to score 28+ points, they have to take chances to try to keep up with them, and that creates opportunities for the Colts defense to generate big plays. When the other team only has to worry about the Colts putting up 14 a game, they can win the game with 2-3 scoring possessions and don't have to take risks. They can go for whatever play works best...they don't have to worry about putting 3 on the board and then having Manning come back and put 7 up 2 minutes later.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 24, 2011 -> 08:09 AM)
Wonder how much money they've lost for the league already this year. I know I flipped on for :20 last night to check the score and that was it.

I do know that NWI is sporting a whole lot less 18 jerseys than the prior years...

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 24, 2011 -> 08:01 AM)
Yeah, it is amazing the drop off that Indy has experienced. New England didn't fall off anywhere close to this when they lost Brady for a season.

I think they went 11-5 and missed the playoffs because it was a tough year in the AFC. Cassel may be better than Painter, but he's not that much better.

"Glad to report my genitalia are in stable condition and expected to make a full recovery!''

-- @TJLang70, Packers offensive lineman T.J. Lang, who was stomped in the groin by Minnesota defensive end Brian Robison during a scuffle in the Packers-Vikings game.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writ...l#ixzz1bhubUTgI

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 23, 2011 -> 07:25 PM)
Matt Ryan's looked a lot worse...but this is Stafford we're talking about. Talking about ankle and knee injuries for him on it. Might be a while.

MRI is scheduled for today on Stafford.

Also...there's talk that Suh was somehow taunting Matt Ryan after he went down to the ground with that rolled ankle.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 24, 2011 -> 08:56 AM)

Also...there's talk that Suh was somehow taunting Matt Ryan after he went down to the ground with that rolled ankle.

Link

The play, which had Ryan in obvious pain after his right ankle bent in a bad way after he tripped over tackle Will Svitek(notes). Ryan came off the field and returned to action shortly thereafter, but per Jeff Schultz of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, Suh and at least one teammate went over the line verbally.

"I had respect for Suh before the game," Falcons center Todd McClure(notes) said after the game. "But when Matt was on the ground, the things he was saying and the trash he was talking was definitely uncalled for. There are certain things you don't do. [He said], 'Get the cart' and several other things that I can't repeat."

Receiver Roddy White(notes) agreed. "I lost a whole lot of respect for 90 [suh] today, and also 92 [Cliff Avril(notes)], the [bleep] they were doing when Matt got hurt. That was unacceptable. … Like 92 was kicking [Ryan's] feet, saying, 'Get him off the field.' We don't do stuff like that. We don't rally over guys when they get hurt. It was just inappropriate behavior. I mean, 'Get the cart'? Are you serious? Come on. When you compete, you never want to see a guy get hurt."

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 24, 2011 -> 08:56 AM)

I'm not surprised. Ironic that the same game sees his guy go out.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Oct 24, 2011 -> 07:55 AM)

Yeah, it's akin to the Cavs minus LeBron.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Oct 24, 2011 -> 09:49 AM)
Anyone know the last time an NFL game had 9 or fewer total points?

Last season Week 8. Green Bay 9, NY Jets 0

And in 2009 the Browns won another game 6-3 over Buffalo

Edited by LittleHurt05

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Oct 24, 2011 -> 09:49 AM)
Anyone know the last time an NFL game had 9 or fewer total points?

The Steelers beat the Dolphins 3-0 back in 2007, but there was crazy winds and rain in that game.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/...-getting-fired/

Tony Sparano to official: Review play or I’m getting fired

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on October 24, 2011, 10:56 AM EDT

Tony Sparano AP

Dolphins coach Tony Sparano’s job is safe for now by all indications in Miami.

But even Sparano had doubts in the middle of his team’s ridiculous collapse on Sunday. CBS cameras caught him pleading to officials to review Denver’s first touchdown.

All scoring plays are reviewed, but Sparano took a timeout to get the officials to take a longer look upstairs. They eventually did look at the play, but the score was upheld.

“If I don’t call timeout we’re all [explicit]. Now I’m getting fired,” Sparano told the officials according to the South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

Ugh. That’s just sorta sad. And it’s worth pointing out that the Dolphins led 15-7 at the time.

All Miami had to do was recover an onside kick and they win. Recover that kick and we wouldn’t have the fawning Tim Tebow coverage today or the sad Tony Sparano press conference after the game.

http://www.csnchicago.com/blog/bears-talk/...mp;feedID=10330

Century Man

Forte rushed for 145 yards, the third time in the last four games that he rushed for more than 115 yards, with only the Detroit game a loss with Forte over 100 (116).

That Detroit loss was a notable rarity. Since 2004 the Bears are 20-4 when one of their backs rushes for 100 yards.

Forte’s 38 receiving yards gave him 183 for the game. Forte has totaled at least 123 yards in all but one game this season, the lone sub-120 day being an 82-yard day in the loss to Green Bay.

Bears have the second wild card right now, right? They've beaten the other four and three teams.

Yes, the Bears have the tiebreaker over the other current 4-3 teams, Tampa and Atlanta. If Dallas wins next week, they would go to 4-3 and have an edge over the Bears via conference record.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Oct 24, 2011 -> 03:55 PM)
Yes, the Bears have the tiebreaker over the other current 4-3 teams, Tampa and Atlanta. If Dallas wins next week, they would go to 4-3 and have an edge over the Bears via conference record.

The NFC East is going to get really interesting down the stretch. The Cowboys are one of the better teams in the NFL and in my opinion, they're going to start to really show it. The Eagles are also better than their record, and will probably start putting a winning streak together. The Giants are sort of an enigma in my opinion, and the Redskins are not quite good enough. We need , IMO, Dallas to start kicking ass and let the rest of them beat up on eachother.

I personally think Atlanta and Tampa are average teams and Detroit will win 9 games.

Detroit Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford is day-to-day after injuring his right ankle in Sunday's loss to the Atlanta Falcons, but coach Jim Schwartz said Stafford's right knee isn't an issue

“He went home yesterday in a boot for his ankle, and he’s no more than day-to-day," Schwartz said during his weekly news conference today. "We’ll see where he is on Wednesday and, hopefully, we can get him out on the practice field. He’s got an ankle; knee’s not an issue."

Stafford grabbed his right knee as he went to the ground on the Lions' final offensive play Sunday. Falcons linebacker Curtis Lofton rolled into Stafford's leg.

Schwartz wouldn't reveal the results of an MRI exam done on Stafford's leg but said, "If he had a broken bone or something like that, he’d be more than day-to-day."

Link