Official 2011-2012 NFL Thread

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 31, 2011 -> 09:06 AM)
What? If they didn't bench Orton, then Tebow would be on the bench and the fans would be clamoring for him to start. This way, the fans get their Tebow, and Elway can show everyone why he wants nothing to do with the kid, while trying to find a QB he likes.

Any organization that runs their personnel moves based on the fans desires gets what they deserve.

• Replies 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Oct 31, 2011 -> 09:21 AM)
One week I think the Saints are right there with the Packers and then they lose to the Rams.

that was a hideous loss for them. if they were a college team that would have killed them in the bcs standings, lol

I think Tebow's two performances have gone beyond "struggles". You look at blaine gabbert and that looks like pretty typical rookie struggling. Some promise, jittery in the pocket, trouble reading defenses. Tebow's isn't that. He can't throw the ball. His mechanics are atrocious, and they are coupled with poor arm strength AND accuracy.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ms-s...truggles_103111

You don't really see those come out about qbs just because they are learning.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 31, 2011 -> 09:25 AM)
that was a hideous loss for them. if they were a college team that would have killed them in the bcs standings, lol

Brees now has 34 picks in his last 24 games. I still think he is one of the best, but he's turning a little bit into Brett Favre.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 31, 2011 -> 09:18 AM)
Any organization that runs their personnel moves based on the fans desires gets what they deserve.

True, but they weren't gonna make the playoffs whether the QB was Orton, Tebow, or Quinn. You might as well throw him out there for a couple games. He was just a 1st-round pick from the previous administration, so you can't just dump him.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 31, 2011 -> 09:26 AM)
I think Tebow's two performances have gone beyond "struggles". You look at blaine gabbert and that looks like pretty typical rookie struggling. Some promise, jittery in the pocket, trouble reading defenses. Tebow's isn't that. He can't throw the ball. His mechanics are atrocious, and they are coupled with poor arm strength AND accuracy.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ms-s...truggles_103111

You don't really see those come out about qbs just because they are learning.

I caught a bit of breakdown on one of the post game shows. it was interesting because they were saying that Tebows biggest problem as a QB is that he throws to where receivers are, instead of where they are going to be.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 31, 2011 -> 03:34 PM)
True, but they weren't gonna make the playoffs whether the QB was Orton, Tebow, or Quinn. You might as well throw him out there for a couple games. He was just a 1st-round pick from the previous administration, so you can't just dump him.

It's not like the AFC west is gangbusters.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 31, 2011 -> 08:04 AM)
Rogers was a mid-20's pick who a lot of people thought had serious mechanical issues coming out of college. Having Rogers start right away was an invitation to turning him into Alex Smith. Having Luck sit for 3 years is a complete waste...he ought to be starting by day 1 in the league.

Balta, stick to other sports buddy. First... "Rodgers". Second... just because they were both drafted the same year doesn't mean you can just use this weird statement as a broad way to state what would have happened to Rodgers. I'm sure he'd have wound up this awesome had he started day one or waited as long as he did or started anywhere in between.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 31, 2011 -> 10:36 AM)
I caught a bit of breakdown on one of the post game shows. it was interesting because they were saying that Tebows biggest problem as a QB is that he throws to where receivers are, instead of where they are going to be.

If that's the case...that's an issue which is coachable/learnable with time and a good QB coach.

Does denver even have a QB Coach?

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 31, 2011 -> 09:37 AM)
Balta, stick to other sports buddy. First... "Rodgers". Second... just because they were both drafted the same year doesn't mean you can just use this weird statement as a broad way to state what would have happened to Rodgers. I'm sure he'd have wound up this awesome had he started day one or waited as long as he did or started anywhere in between.

the Rogers mispelling really bugs you, doesnt it Stephen? ;)

I'm starting to be under the impression, that the good QBs would have made it regardless of when they started playing. The 'it worked for this guy, but this guy started TOO early, but this guy needed to be on the bench" I don't find that compelling. What about Cam Newton makes him better for starting now as opposed to Alex Smith? I thought Newton was just as raw.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 31, 2011 -> 03:39 PM)
If that's the case...that's an issue which is coachable/learnable with time and a good QB coach.

Dude, you don't need to be coached to learn that. It's not like that should be an epiphony moment for Tebow. "No no, son, you are supposed to throw it to where he WILL be in the route, he doesn't just stop right to where you throw it."

"OHHHHHHHHHHHHHH I get it!"

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 31, 2011 -> 09:39 AM)

it is a win now league, the broncos arent going to try and coach up Tebow when they can just get a luck/landry jones/etc in the next draft.

Tebow has some of the worst accuracy i've ever seen. He misses open WR by 10 yards. He will be out of the league in a couple of years.

If his name was Bill Smith and was taken in the 5th round, he would been cut and out of football.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 31, 2011 -> 08:04 AM)
Rogers was a mid-20's pick who a lot of people thought had serious mechanical issues coming out of college. Having Rogers start right away was an invitation to turning him into Alex Smith. Having Luck sit for 3 years is a complete waste...he ought to be starting by day 1 in the league.

Rodgers was a consensus top 10 pick (alot argued #1 overall) but unfortunately pulled a Roethlisberger and slipped to the Packers lap with elite mechanics, a strong arm, and good foot work. He has very little weaknesses (in fact I think his only main weakness was his size at 6'2 and was a late bloomer so some scouts questioned his true upside). It's not his fault others teams passed on him. I do agree that having him digest that playbook was crucial to his development. Might have been over-ready actually.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Oct 31, 2011 -> 10:56 AM)
Rodgers was a consensus top 10 pick (alot argued #1 overall) but unfortunately pulled a Roethlisberger and slipped to the Packers lap with elite mechanics, a strong arm, and good foot work. He has very little weaknesses (in fact I think his only main weakness was his size at 6'2 and was a late bloomer so some scouts questioned his true upside). It's not his fault others teams passed on him. I do agree that having him digest that playbook was crucial to his development. Might have been over-ready actually.

I do remember the big deal that was made about how far he slipped down the draft chart. His draft position was a huge surprise.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 30, 2011 -> 07:19 PM)
I still stand by that statement. Their schedule still has games @GB, @ CHI, @NO, vs. GB, vs. SD, @ OAK. They finish 9-7 at best, which may or may not get them in the playoffs, depending on what the other NFC teams do. A win vs. the fighting Tebows doesn't change my opinion.

New Orleans doesn't scare me, Oakland has no QB, and they play the Bears pretty well. They can easily go 3-3 against those 6 you listed.

Do you remember all of the criticism for Rex Grossman for his "bad Rex" moments and all of the critical statements about him and his preperation and Ron Rivera calling him a mental midget and all of the bad articles?

do you ever remember an apologist column such as this?

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22475988/33052141

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 31, 2011 -> 10:16 AM)
I do remember the big deal that was made about how far he slipped down the draft chart. His draft position was a huge surprise.

And you have to give props to the Packers FO, they snatched him up when many teams that needed a QB passed on him, including (in my best Super Fan imitation) a certain team from a certain town...

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Oct 31, 2011 -> 11:44 AM)
New Orleans doesn't scare me, Oakland has no QB, and they play the Bears pretty well. They can easily go 3-3 against those 6 you listed.

The Saints in the Superdome should scare every team IMO and I think the Bears will give them a much better game outdoors at Soldier Field. You are right about the Raiders, they aren't the same team as a few weeks ago.

Obviously, they could pull out a couple of those games and finish 11-5. I just don't think their playoff berth is as much of a given as people make it out to be, I see them stuggling some over the last two months.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 31, 2011 -> 11:49 AM)
Do you remember all of the criticism for Rex Grossman for his "bad Rex" moments and all of the critical statements about him and his preperation and Ron Rivera calling him a mental midget and all of the bad articles?

do you ever remember an apologist column such as this?

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22475988/33052141

No. The media destroyed Rex mercilessly. It was f***ing unbelievable and still pisses me off to this day.