Official 2011-2012 NFL Thread

• Replies 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (knightni @ Nov 14, 2011 -> 07:31 PM)
If Indy gets #1, it would be dumb to not draft him.

Peyton Manning is a unique situation. We've seen that he's apparently worth 10 wins a year. I think the decision will have to do with how healthy Peyton is come draft day.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Nov 14, 2011 -> 08:34 PM)
Peyton Manning is a unique situation. We've seen that he's apparently worth 10 wins a year. I think the decision will have to do with how healthy Peyton is come draft day.

You have to trade 1 of them. I don't care that the new cap rules would make it possible to hold on to both. There is just too much value tied up in the qb position. Someone would empty 2 drafts for either of those guys, that would rebuild to Colts for 5 years.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 14, 2011 -> 07:51 PM)
You have to trade 1 of them. I don't care that the new cap rules would make it possible to hold on to both. There is just too much value tied up in the qb position. Someone would empty 2 drafts for either of those guys, that would rebuild to Colts for 5 years.

What do you do then? Trade the greatest QB of all time? Trade one of the top draft picks since then? It's a tough call. I'd lean towards keeping Manning, but it's tough.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 14, 2011 -> 08:51 PM)

Who can absorb Peyton's $24 million salary or whatever though?

And even though Peyton may be worth 10 wins to the Colts, that is only because their team is entirely built around him. Are they built well for a rookie QB? I don't know...they get away with having a small OLine because Peyton gets rid of the ball so quickly and because he can adjust the play at the line. They get away with having an undersized DLine because they play with the lead so much.

I'm not sure their window with this current team is long enough for them to win with Andrew Luck.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Nov 14, 2011 -> 08:15 PM)
If Colts get 1, they can trade down get a ridiculous stock pile of picks and pick another QB later on.

Brees for Vick worked out well.

Back before the Colts sucked major donkey balls, I thought Landry Jones or even Kellen Moore could be decent fits.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 14, 2011 -> 09:10 PM)
Who can absorb Peyton's $24 million salary or whatever though?

And even though Peyton may be worth 10 wins to the Colts, that is only because their team is entirely built around him. Are they built well for a rookie QB? I don't know...they get away with having a small OLine because Peyton gets rid of the ball so quickly and because he can adjust the play at the line. They get away with having an undersized DLine because they play with the lead so much.

I'm not sure their window with this current team is long enough for them to win with Andrew Luck.

It's $18 million, and you know as well as I do that half the teams in the league will find a way to make that happen if he's available.

There would clearly need to be rebuilding, but that's why they'll be having almost 3 first round picks this year.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 14, 2011 -> 08:32 PM)
It's $18 million, and you know as well as I do that half the teams in the league will find a way to make that happen if he's available.

There would clearly need to be rebuilding, but that's why they'll be having almost 3 first round picks this year.

But you're also getting rid of a guy who is arguably the best player in NFL history.

This isn't a Brett Favre deal. Peyton Manning's a whole different animal.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 14, 2011 -> 09:32 PM)

No it's not.

It's $69 million for the first 3 years of the contract.

$23 million a year.

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Nov 14, 2011 -> 09:33 PM)
But you're also getting rid of a guy who is arguably the best player in NFL history.

If you don't believe Luck can be the next great qb, then you trade Luck for an entire draft and add in 4-5 first round picks in the next 2 years around him.

You just can't sit one of them on the bench, not when you can rebuild the entire roster.