Official 2011-2012 NFL Thread

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Nov 14, 2011 -> 11:43 PM)
Guys, is Lovie Smith a very good coach? I'm afraid to believe he is, but I feel like he's converting me.

He's an excellent coach. He's extremely solid at pregame preparation. His defensive theories are sound, and his teams always are in the upper echelon in the league in terms of takeaways.

His issue is in-game coaching and making adjustments on the fly. He makes dumb challenges, he takes ill-timed timeouts, and his halftime adjustments often leave something to be desired.

Overall though, I think he is one of the better coaches in the league.

• Replies 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's an excellent coach. He's extremely solid at pregame preparation. His defensive theories are sound, and his teams always are in the upper echelon in the league in terms of takeaways.

His issue is in-game coaching and making adjustments on the fly. He makes dumb challenges, he takes ill-timed timeouts, and his halftime adjustments often leave something to be desired.

The Bears just seem to always get better as the season goes on. Weaknesses turn into strengths, strengths stay strengths and he'll let the team bend but they never really seem to break. I think about Lance Louis, like where the f*** did that guy come from? He's playing like the best OL I've seen on the Bears since John Tait or Big Cat. Chris Conte, DJ Moore, Matt Spaeth, Corey Graham, Brian Iwuh, Nick Roach--these guys are marginal talents that have found a way to really succeed and become a vital part of this team. His roster management is almost perfect (minus the love affair with Omiyale that lasted a season too long).

He makes a lot of something out of what looks like nothing.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 12, 2011 -> 08:30 PM)
Finally starting to get a handle on this year's NFL season...

Hit a big bet last week on the Bears with the Bears ML and over the total.

Dallas -5.5 over Buffalo

St Louis +3 over Cleveland

Denver+150 outright over KC

Seattle +7 vs Baltimore

Chicago -2.5 over Detroit

NYG +3.5 vs SF

NE +2 vs NYJ

Minnesota +13 vs GB

wow

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Nov 15, 2011 -> 12:57 AM)
The Bears just seem to always get better as the season goes on. Weaknesses turn into strengths, strengths stay strengths and he'll let the team bend but they never really seem to break. I think about Lance Louis, like where the f*** did that guy come from? He's playing like the best OL I've seen on the Bears since John Tait or Big Cat. Chris Conte, DJ Moore, Matt Spaeth, Corey Graham, Brian Iwuh, Nick Roach--these guys are marginal talents that have found a way to really succeed and become a vital part of this team. His roster management is almost perfect (minus the love affair with Omiyale that lasted a season too long).

He makes a lot of something out of what looks like nothing.

My one long-term worry re: Smith is that all of these things are able to happen because he also happens to have been gifted the single most perfect possible player you could imagine for his system. Without that advantage, I wonder...

My one long-term worry re: Smith is that all of these things are able to happen because he also happens to have been gifted the single most perfect possible player you could imagine for his system. Without that advantage, I wonder...

Right, but most coaches' tenures don't last longer than that of a star player, so as the GM hiring a coach, that's not something you really worry about. Plus, the GM has done a good job of getting defensive talent that matches the system--Linebackers who can really cover the field, corners who are physical and good tacklers but don't have to have A+ speed because they usually have help over the top, linemen who can generate pressure without needing 5th-6th rusers.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 14, 2011 -> 11:51 PM)

Well said shack. I don't think he gets the credit he deserves, partly because of his questionable in-game decisions. We all complain about Angelo's awful drafting, yet somehow Lovie has them set for their 4th playoff berth in 7 seasons. That includes 2 berths in 4 seasons of Rexy/NeckBeard/Griese at QB.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Nov 14, 2011 -> 07:30 PM)
I have no idea how the Colts want to handle this. It'd be great if Luck could sit behind Peyton. Don't think that's an option though.

With the new rookie salary structure, I think the Colts could get away with it for a year or maybe even two.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 15, 2011 -> 09:51 AM)
With the new rookie salary structure, I think the Colts could get away with it for a year or maybe even two.

They could, you're right. I just think it's a silly move. Tying up $6 million a year in cap space in Peyton Manning's backup seems very self-defeating for a team that has the kind of contracts that team has on offense.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 15, 2011 -> 08:54 AM)
They could, you're right. I just think it's a silly move. Tying up $6 million a year in cap space in Peyton Manning's backup seems very self-defeating for a team that has the kind of contracts that team has on offense.

If you are the Colts, you aren't thinking of this as 2012. You are setting up your future with a guy who is being described as a once in a generation QB, or essentially Peyton Manning. With Mannings age, you don't pass that up. It also makes Peyton impossible to trade. Draft luck, and let the situation dictate when it is time to move on with Peyton.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 15, 2011 -> 09:55 AM)
If you are the Colts, you aren't thinking of this as 2012. You are setting up your future with a guy who is being described as a once in a generation QB, or essentially Peyton Manning. With Mannings age, you don't pass that up. It also makes Peyton impossible to trade. Draft luck, and let the situation dictate when it is time to move on with Peyton.

The biggest quibble I have here is that you state Manning's age makes him impossible to trade. His contract would make it challenging, but look, this is Peyton Manning we're talking about. Hypothetically, you're the GM of the Vikings. Or the Redskins. Or the Dolphins. Or the Seahawks. Or any other team that has gone through years of sub-par QB play (other than the Raiders who have already traded away their draft). Arranging the cap space would be a challenge, but are you honestly going to tell me that you'd look at an offer for Peyton Manning for 4 years and say "Naw, he's too old"?

The only reason you'd say no is if the neck problems were so severe that his career was likely over.

Joe Montana was tradeable. Peyton Manning is tradeable.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 15, 2011 -> 07:55 AM)

You can say that about a lot of coaches. Is Mike McCarthy a good coach? He happens to have the best player in the entire league running his team, what would happen if Flynn was starting every game?

I had a quote last year that tried to encompass his brilliance and idiocy. I do believe he is both. But being an NFL football coach is hard, and he's a good one. Even our awful 2009-10 season I can't believe we got to 7 wins. While I'm still confused why he thinks Martz would be a good OC for his type of game, but he has attracted good assistant coaches. Best of all being Tice.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 15, 2011 -> 09:00 AM)
The biggest quibble I have here is that you state Manning's age makes him impossible to trade. His contract would make it challenging, but look, this is Peyton Manning we're talking about. Hypothetically, you're the GM of the Vikings. Or the Redskins. Or the Dolphins. Or the Seahawks. Or any other team that has gone through years of sub-par QB play (other than the Raiders who have already traded away their draft). Arranging the cap space would be a challenge, but are you honestly going to tell me that you'd look at an offer for Peyton Manning for 4 years and say "Naw, he's too old"?

The only reason you'd say no is if the neck problems were so severe that his career was likely over.Joe Montana was tradeable. Peyton Manning is tradeable.

and I believe that is the gray area that the Colts are stuck in. Do you cut bait and possibly risk trading one of the greatest QBs of all time when he possibly has another couple years in him?

People call Luck a once in a generation QB, but he wouldnt be the first QB to bust out after being drafted #1 with that label. It happens

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 15, 2011 -> 09:00 AM)

The only reason you'd say no is if the neck problems were so severe that his career was likely over.

Joe Montana was tradeable. Peyton Manning is tradeable.

I was more going towards Peytons status as a once in a generation QB. he is pretty much the biggest thing to happen in Indy, well, ever.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 15, 2011 -> 09:18 AM)
and I believe that is the gray area that the Colts are stuck in. Do you cut bait and possibly risk trading one of the greatest QBs of all time when he possibly has another couple years in him?

People call Luck a once in a generation QB, but he wouldnt be the first QB to bust out after being drafted #1 with that label. It happens

And the odds of him being a bust decrease with every year he gets to have a guy like Manning as a mentor. It sure worked for Steve Young and Aaron Rodgers.

I don't think trading Peyton Manning is an option. I see three ways to go with this:

1) Colts think Peyton is going to be fine and trade Luck

2) Colts think Peyton might be fine and hold on to Luck for a year to see how Peyton does and then trade Luck if Peyton is indeed fine

3) Colts think Peyton won't be fine and hold on to Luck

As great as Peyton is/Luck might be, the Colts need more than a QB to turn what they have now into a Super Bowl contender, so keeping both of them if Peyton is 100% healthy doesn't make sense

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 15, 2011 -> 09:00 AM)
You can say that about a lot of coaches. Is Mike McCarthy a good coach? He happens to have the best player in the entire league running his team, what would happen if Flynn was starting every game?

Mike McCarthy is part of the reason why Aaron Rodgers is as good as he is. I think McCarthy is top 5 coach in the NFL.

From his play calling to game management. He is really good.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 15, 2011 -> 10:18 AM)

IMO, the best way to make sure Luck is Lucky in life is to make sure that he is surrounded by a team as talented as the Packers supposedly are. And the way to do that is moving Manning.

I don't know which one you trade if you're in that seat, but the "Safe" play of holding onto them both is also the weakest move you can make for the franchise.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 15, 2011 -> 09:25 AM)
IMO, the best way to make sure Luck is Lucky in life is to make sure that he is surrounded by a team as talented as the Packers supposedly are. And the way to do that is moving Manning.

I don't know which one you trade if you're in that seat, but the "Safe" play of holding onto them both is also the weakest move you can make for the franchise.

Drafting an Andrew Luck can not be construed as weak in any sense. It is more like great or excellent choices for the future of the Colts.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 15, 2011 -> 04:27 PM)
Drafting an Andrew Luck can not be construed as weak in any sense. It is more like great or excellent choices for the future of the Colts.

The thing is, by all accounts, there is no reason to have Luck sit for 2 years. You are going to have to make a hard decision one way or another. Peyton Manning is going to decide when HE wants to retire, not what's best for the team. What if he's playing at a high level for 4-5 more years? If they draft Luck, they should part with Manning. They need to make that hard decision to part with the QB that has meant everything to them for 13 years. It's best to cut the ties that bind you now.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Nov 15, 2011 -> 09:33 AM)
You take Luck and keep Manning. If Manning plays well for a couple years, than you deal with it than.

This. You get the best of the worlds. You get Manning to mentor Luck. You get to see Luck in practice on a daily basis to know that he is ready. And you also get to have Luck in case Manning isn't ready.