Official 2011-2012 NFL Thread

• Replies 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im kind of surprised that so many people automatically think Orton>Hanie. We havent seen much of Hanie but we got a glimpse of a more than capable back up qb in the NFC championship. Orton had decent numbers in Denver but most of his stats came when they were getting crushed and the team as a whole had little success. He also had Brandon Marshall (for a while) and Brandon Lloyd making circus catches for him on passes that had no business being thrown. If the Bears get him to be Hanies backup or to step in IF Hanie fails then fine but if this move is in hopes that Orton is going to step in and play over Hanie after this week I hate it.

Edited by DrunkBomber

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Nov 22, 2011 -> 11:50 PM)
Im kind of surprised that so many people automatically think Orton>Hanie. We havent seen much of Hanie but we got a glimpse of a more than capable back up qb in the NFC championship. Orton had decent numbers in Denver but most of his stats came when they were getting crushed and the team as a whole had little success. He also had Brandon Marshall (for a while) and Brandon Lloyd making circus catches for him on passes that had no business being thrown. If the Bears get him to be Hanies backup or to step in IF Hanie fails then fine but if this move is in hopes that Orton is going to step in and play over Hanie after this week I hate it.

I'm not sure anyone is automatically thinking Orton>Hanie. I think they are thinking Hanie is an unknown quantity, whereas orton is not. But no, I don't think anyone is expecting him to play this week.

if they land orton, i dont expect him to play for at least 3-4 weeks (if at all)....i think its just good insurance if hanie really really struggles the next 2-3 weeks. At least you can get a veteran who, as recently as last year threw for 20 TDs with just 9 INTs with an 87.5 QB rating. At the very least we know Orton can manage a game (at this point we're not sure Hanie can do that)....so its just a good backup plan should Hanie stink

Edited by daa84

I'm totally in favor of bringing back Orton, as long as it's not immediately to start over Hanie. He has a bad rap as being a s***ty QB when he's not... it's just that Kyle Orton is the base model with no upgrades in every way. 4-cylinder, no AC, cloth seats, no power windows, no cruise control, none of that. He'll just get you to and from work, that's all.

It's unreasonable to expect Orton to be able to learn even the basics of the offense in a week, in time to get him to start at Oakland... Hanie should be that guy unless he shows himself incapable, and that's where Orton comes in. We know at the very least that Kyle Orton is a capable NFL quarterback. He's not going to anyone's Pro Bowl, but he doesn't lose the team games either.

@BradBiggs - With #Bears 30th in waiver wire, would be very surprised if they claimed Kyle Orton. They could negotiate own contract w/ him if he clears

I believe the only teams after on the waiver wire are Green Bay and San Fran. So, if he clears every other team, there's no point in the Bears claiming him.

Unless the handshake agreement is that the Bears would claim him and pick up his salary in exchange for Denver doing the Bears the favor of waiving him.

Denver must really have no confidence in Orton if they are giving him away to a team they play in a couple weeks.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Nov 22, 2011 -> 05:50 PM)

I will say this, in 2008 he threw for almost 3000 yards and had NO wide receivers. His only "receiver" was Devin Hester. His second target was Olson. A combination of Knox, Williams, and Bennett is better than the 2008 core. Forte is a better running back.

With regards to this year in Denver, he wasnt great, but I think someone also pointed out that dever was giving up something like 30 pts a game when Orton started, but only 15 with Tebow.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 23, 2011 -> 09:06 AM)
I think no matter what happens in the games, Orton is the #3 QB this Sunday and the #2 QB next Sunday. At that point, there will be two weeks worth of Hanie's play to evaluate and then make the decision from there.

I think Hanie starts for sure this weekend, but I think he will have to play out of his mind to keep the job if Orton is claimed/signed. They arent picking up Orton to hold a clipboard until the season is over

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 23, 2011 -> 09:08 AM)
I think Hanie starts for sure this weekend, but I think he will have to play out of his mind to keep the job if Orton is claimed/signed. They arent picking up Orton to hold a clipboard until the season is over

I would think the opposite. The last thing the Bears want to admit is that they have a bad back up QB. They are signing Orton in case Hanie gets hurt mostly, because they know Enderlie isn't ready. There is a part of them signing Orton just in case Hanie gets hurt, but knowing the Bears, they want to prove they were right about Hanie, and they will give him multiple weeks to prove himself.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 23, 2011 -> 09:13 AM)
I would think the opposite. The last thing the Bears want to admit is that they have a bad back up QB. They are signing Orton in case Hanie gets hurt mostly, because they know Enderlie isn't ready. There is a part of them signing Orton just in case Hanie gets hurt, but knowing the Bears, they want to prove they were right about Hanie, and they will give him multiple weeks to prove himself.

Hanie isnt Martz' guy, he was benched in the preseason and the only reason he is #2 is because of the final preseason game. There is no way that scenario plays out.

Plus, this is Hanies walk year. If he isnt in their plans next season, which by all accounts he is not, then you let Orton take it unless(like i said) Hanie plays out of his mind on Sunday

QUOTE (lostfan @ Nov 23, 2011 -> 01:52 AM)
I'm totally in favor of bringing back Orton, as long as it's not immediately to start over Hanie. He has a bad rap as being a s***ty QB when he's not... it's just that Kyle Orton is the base model with no upgrades in every way. 4-cylinder, no AC, cloth seats, no power windows, no cruise control, none of that. He'll just get you to and from work, that's all.

It's unreasonable to expect Orton to be able to learn even the basics of the offense in a week, in time to get him to start at Oakland... Hanie should be that guy unless he shows himself incapable, and that's where Orton comes in. We know at the very least that Kyle Orton is a capable NFL quarterback. He's not going to anyone's Pro Bowl, but he doesn't lose the team games either.

I keep seeing this but I'm not seeing the people begging for him to start in oakland. The reality is Hanie is an unknown and Orton is a known. While Orton may not light up the scoreboard, it's possible hanie could lose us games. So I'm very much interested in getting Orton.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 23, 2011 -> 09:13 AM)
The last thing the Bears want to admit is that they have a bad back up QB.

Dude, they had Todd Collins last year.

They are saying all the right things, such as the "Hanie will start and Orton will backup" stories that are being leaked. That's what you say, because if KC claims him (highly likely) you can't have Hanie thinking he was going to get replaced and they have zero confidence in him.

Hanie probably starts this weekend regardless, but if the Bears are awarded the claim on Orton, he will absolutely be starting against the Chiefs at home the following week.

The question is, do the Chiefs want to blow $2.5 million with a 4-6 record? You'd think they'd look at all their injuries (DB's, Charles, Cassell, etc) and chalk it up, but who knows.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 23, 2011 -> 11:08 AM)
Dude, they had Todd Collins last year.

They are saying all the right things, such as the "Hanie will start and Orton will backup" stories that are being leaked. That's what you say, because if KC claims him (highly likely) you can't have Hanie thinking he was going to get replaced and they have zero confidence in him.

Hanie probably starts this weekend regardless, but if the Bears are awarded the claim on Orton, he will absolutely be starting against the Chiefs at home the following week.

The question is, do the Chiefs want to blow $2.5 million with a 4-6 record? You'd think they'd look at all their injuries (DB's, Charles, Cassell, etc) and chalk it up, but who knows.

Reading yesterday, it was more like $1.4 million for the rest of teh season for Orton.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 23, 2011 -> 11:18 AM)
Reading yesterday, it was more like $1.4 million for the rest of teh season for Orton.

According to NFLPA documents, Orton has a salary of $8.89 million this season. With six weeks remaining, that means he would be owed about $2.58 million for the rest of the season by any team that claims him on waivers before Wednesday's 3 p.m. deadline.

link

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 23, 2011 -> 11:23 AM)

i think the Bears pass on claiming him. whats the point in making a claim? It isnt as if SF and the Packers are goign to claim him. if the Bears dont claim him, the Broncos are on the hook for the 2.58 mil and the Bears pay the prorated minimum

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 23, 2011 -> 05:26 PM)
i think the Bears pass on claiming him. whats the point in making a claim? It isnt as if SF and the Packers are goign to claim him. if the Bears dont claim him, the Broncos are on the hook for the 2.58 mil and the Bears pay the prorated minimum

I think it's steelers and pack behind the bears, no? Maybe I'm wrong.

This waiver wire is confusing.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 23, 2011 -> 11:37 AM)
I think it's steelers and pack behind the bears, no? Maybe I'm wrong.

This waiver wire is confusing.

I have heard Pack and SF, but regardless even if it is the Steelers, it is highly doubtful they will pick up Orton