Official 2011-2012 NFL Thread

• Replies 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Dec 20, 2011 -> 08:59 AM)
Because most here would agree basing your thoughts of a team on Madden rankings is perfectly acceptable.

I just thought it was funny when I saw it and thought Id share it. I guess I should have expected a comment like this though. You dont need a video game to tell you how bad the Bears offense is right now. The only real issue I have with the ratings is Hester being a better WR then Bennett, but Im sure that is just because of Hesters speed.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Dec 20, 2011 -> 02:35 PM)
I just thought it was funny when I saw it and thought Id share it. I guess I should have expected a comment like this though. You dont need a video game to tell you how bad the Bears offense is right now. The only real issue I have with the ratings is Hester being a better WR then Bennett, but Im sure that is just because of Hesters speed.

I thought it was a pretty funny indictment on their offense, honestly.

What was Cutler rated as?

49er fan here as well, still not sold on Smith. The way I'm looking at it is this is his first year with Harbough, and I've seen a tremendous amount of growth. I'm hopeful it continues and his ceiling is higher than we think it is. Without getting crazy into stats, there are plenty of reasons to think he can win a superbowl, hell, Steve Young and Trent Dilfer both said he could win one last night and I trust their opinions as both being Superbowl QB's.

Not so sure next year will be the year either, but sometime in the next 3-4 years seems possible, considering the offense will grow and the defense is stacked with extremely talented youth.

I do realize that Trent Dilfer has won a Super Bowl. Ryan Theriot & Nick Punto both appeared in the starting lineup for the WS champion this October too.

I'm not saying the 49ers will never have a chance, but I think in today's NFL you need way more offense than they have. It would be hard for them to beat the Saints, Packers, & Patriots 3 games in a row solely relying on their defense and run game. The league is different now than it was last decade when the Ravens & Buccs were able to ride their defense to the title. Maybe Alex Smith keeps maturingg under Harbaugh? He still has a bit of ways to go though.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 20, 2011 -> 05:08 PM)
I do realize that Trent Dilfer has won a Super Bowl. Ryan Theriot & Nick Punto both appeared in the starting lineup for the WS champion this October too.

I'm not saying the 49ers will never have a chance, but I think in today's NFL you need way more offense than they have. It would be hard for them to beat the Saints, Packers, & Patriots 3 games in a row solely relying on their defense and run game. The league is different now than it was last decade when the Ravens & Buccs were able to ride their defense to the title. Maybe Alex Smith keeps maturingg under Harbaugh? He still has a bit of ways to go though.

This. All of this. Now let me go away before I get "pwned" again.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 20, 2011 -> 05:08 PM)

The Ravens had one of the all time greatest defensive teams when they won the Super Bowl.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 20, 2011 -> 05:13 PM)
And in today's NFL we're seeing some of the most prolific passing attacks of all time. That Ravens D is not as good in today's league.

If a team in 2012 puts up defensive stats that rate as one of the best defenses ever they are instant contenders. There just arent any right at this moment. Football is largely fluid, the trends change over and over.

I dont think the league is that different, lets look at the last 5 Super Bowl Champions:

2011- Green Bay Packers (not in top 5 total yards, not in top 5 scoring), Green Bay was actually 10th in total points, #1 was New England.

2010- New Orleans Saints #1 in total offensive points, #1 in total yards

2009- Pittsburgh Steelers 20 in total offensive points, 22 in total yards.

2008- New York Giants, 14 in total offensive points, 16 in total yards

2007- Indianapolis Colts, 3 in total offensive points, 3 in total yards.

So in the last 5 years only 2 teams that have won the Super Bowl have been in the top 5 in offense and only 1 time int he last 5 years has the "best" offense, won the Super Bowl.

So I dont really see a major difference in the last 5 years.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Dec 20, 2011 -> 05:41 PM)
I dont think the league is that different, lets look at the last 5 Super Bowl Champions:

2011- Green Bay Packers (not in top 5 total yards, not in top 5 scoring), Green Bay was actually 10th in total points, #1 was New England.

So in the last 5 years only 2 teams that have won the Super Bowl have been in the top 5 in offense and only 1 time int he last 5 years has the "best" offense, won the Super Bowl.

How many of those teams had QBs that were eons better than Dilfer, Alex Smith, & whatever Johnson the 03 Buccs had? It's not necessarily about being the best or highest scoring offense. But you need a team that's able to move the ball down the field quickly in large chunks, that's not something the 49ers excel at right now.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 20, 2011 -> 05:48 PM)
How many of those teams had QBs that were eons better than Dilfer, Alex Smith, & whatever Johnson the 03 Buccs had? It's not necessarily about being the best or highest scoring offense. But you need a team that's able to move the ball down the field quickly in large chunks, that's not something the 49ers excel at right now.

What is eons? Eli wasnt a very good QB when he won the super bowl. Looking back he was 17th in yards and 14th in QB rating (86.4). This year Alex Smith is 9th in rating (91.1) and 17th in yards.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 20, 2011 -> 05:22 PM)
If a team in 2012 puts up defensive stats that rate as one of the best defenses ever they are instant contenders. There just arent any right at this moment. Football is largely fluid, the trends change over and over.

The league has all but assured we won't see a defense like that for some time. Everything is geared towards offense.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Dec 20, 2011 -> 05:41 PM)

And you're only going by SB winners. How about the runner ups? Obviously, you can throw out the '06 Bears. That offense blew outside of Thomas Jones. The '07 Pats scored the most points in NFL history. The '08 Cardinals featured Warner, Fitzgerald and Boldin. The '09 Colts - Manning. Big Ben probably goes for 4000+ yards last year, as he did the season before, if not for the suspension. We could have as many as 10 QBs this year throw for 4,000+ yards. Ten years ago you might've gotten five that reached or surpassed those numbers. I'm not saying it's required to have an elite passing attack to get to or win the SB. But the days of scrubs like Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson aka "just don't throw an interception and you're fine" are over.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 20, 2011 -> 06:04 PM)
The league has all but assured we won't see a defense like that for some time. Everything is geared towards offense.

Why must you always deal in absolutes? The last 4 teams standing the playoffs last season (expanding for you outside of SB champs) were all ranked in the top 6 in scoring defense. Its just as important as ever to have a very good defensive team. Of course some of the rules changes has increased the ability of a team to keep a QB healthy and to get clean releases off the line for receivers so those passing numbers will increase, but at the end of the day defense is still going to be a key factor for any team to advance in the playoffs.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 20, 2011 -> 06:14 PM)
Why must you always deal in absolutes? The last 4 teams standing the playoffs last season (expanding for you outside of SB champs) were all ranked in the top 6 in scoring defense. Its just as important as ever to have a very good defensive team. Of course some of the rules changes has increased the ability of a team to keep a QB healthy and to get clean releases off the line for receivers so those passing numbers will increase, but at the end of the day defense is still going to be a key factor for any team to advance in the playoffs.

I never said defense wasn't important. Badger brought up Trent Dilfer as a counter-argument to LH, I guess, questioning Alex Smith as a QB. Trent Dilfer was a long time ago and that "just don't make a mistake" crap from back then isn't happening today. Your QB needs to move the chains and make plays. Lots of them.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 20, 2011 -> 06:22 PM)
I never said defense wasn't important. Badger brought up Trent Dilfer as a counter-argument to LH, I guess, questioning Alex Smith as a QB. Trent Dilfer was a long time ago and that "just don't make a mistake" crap from back then isn't happening today. Your QB needs to move the chains and make plays. Lots of them.

Alex Smith is more Eli Manning this season than Trent Dilfer. He's an outlier and that team only won because they had a once in a few decades defensive team.