Official 2011-2012 NFL Thread

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 21, 2011 -> 11:26 AM)
It's not up to Jerry, it's Lovie's call. Lovie probably doesn't want to get the kid killed behind that offensive line. Wouldn't surprise me if Enderle starts against the Vikings next week.

So it is a better idea starting him against Jared Allen? McCown shouldnt play, if they believe Enderle has a future in the league, its time to find out

• Replies 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 21, 2011 -> 11:26 AM)
It's not up to Jerry, it's Lovie's call. Lovie probably doesn't want to get the kid killed behind that offensive line. Wouldn't surprise me if Enderle starts against the Vikings next week.

The Packers are 26th in the league with 27 sacks. The Vikings are 3rd with 40 and have the individual league leader. Someone is gonna get killed either Sunday.

I think Lovie is just playing the still alive for the playoffs card and going with the veteran. I'd rather give Enderle a shot, but I'm sure he will be Hanie-esque so what's the difference?

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 21, 2011 -> 11:36 AM)
So it is a better idea starting him against Jared Allen? McCown shouldnt play, if they believe Enderle has a future in the league, its time to find out

Yes. Jared Allen is one guy and he would be the only one to cause any problems. The Packers defense will give a rookie all kinds of problems.

So we have tons of holes going into last years draft and decide to use our 4th pick on a potential third string qb and ignore the other pressing needs the team has. Our starting QB gets hurt, it turns out our backup QB is bad and instead of giving the draft pick a chance they bring in a guy off the street who wont be on the team next year to play the last 2 games of a lost cause.

Well I suppose its a good thing we used that pick on a third string qb who they arent even going to give a chance to play instead of going after a WR, LT, RG, C, TE, CB, OLB, FS. Decisions like that and the inability to draft capable depth is the difference between the Bears going from riding high after the San Diego game to becoming a joke after Cutler and Forte went down. Then look at a team like Houston who has had Arian Foster, Matt Schaubb, Matt Leinart, Andre Johnson, Mario Williams and probably others I cant think of miss time this season and have managed to stay afloat.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 21, 2011 -> 11:58 AM)
I'd rather start McCown than enderle. Enderle looked bad in preseason. You owe it to the vets on this team to TRY and make it to 9-7.

At least enderle had a preseason. McCown was teaching a month ago, and hadnt played in the NFL in 2 years. I really dont know how McCown gives you a better shot

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Dec 21, 2011 -> 12:54 PM)
So we have tons of holes going into last years draft and decide to use our 4th pick on a potential third string qb and ignore the other pressing needs the team has. Our starting QB gets hurt, it turns out our backup QB is bad and instead of giving the draft pick a chance they bring in a guy off the street who wont be on the team next year to play the last 2 games of a lost cause.

Well I suppose its a good thing we used that pick on a third string qb who they arent even going to give a chance to play instead of going after a WR, LT, RG, C, TE, CB, OLB, FS. Decisions like that and the inability to draft capable depth is the difference between the Bears going from riding high after the San Diego game to becoming a joke after Cutler and Forte went down. Then look at a team like Houston who has had Arian Foster, Matt Schaubb, Matt Leinart, Andre Johnson, Mario Williams and probably others I cant think of miss time this season and have managed to stay afloat.

If Hanie played as well as the Texans' 3rd string, rookie 5th round pick, quarterback has, we would probably be, at least, 8-6. Probably 9-5. That's the biggest indictment on Martz and Angelo. The Texans have had to rely on T.J. Yates to keep their season moving, and he's been drastically better (albeit, still mediocre) than Caleb Hanie. Hanie has had 4 years to prepare for this moment. The Bears had 4 years to train Hanie for this moment. The Bears have had 4 years to evaluate if Hanie was worthy of this moment. Big time failure on all accounts.

QUOTE (MurcieOne @ Dec 21, 2011 -> 02:40 PM)
If Hanie played as well as the Texans' 3rd string, rookie 5th round pick, quarterback has, we would probably be, at least, 8-6. Probably 9-5. That's the biggest indictment on Martz and Angelo. The Texans have had to rely on T.J. Yates to keep their season moving, and he's been drastically better (albeit, still mediocre) than Caleb Hanie. Hanie has had 4 years to prepare for this moment. The Bears had 4 years to train Hanie for this moment. The Bears have had 4 years to evaluate if Hanie was worthy of this moment. Big time failure on all accounts.

Yates has also had his RB's there in the games since he took over.

QUOTE (MurcieOne @ Dec 21, 2011 -> 01:40 PM)

Well said. Yates is helped by one of the best running games in the league, but he still has played mediocrely enough to keep his team in some games. Hanie has been much much worse. Everyone remembers how bad the Quinn/Hutchinson/Krenzel era was for the Bears. Well, according to QB rating, Hanie has been worse.

Bottom 3 QB passer ratings of the Lovie Smith era: (min. 3 starts, so no Todd Collins)

Jonathan Quinn 53.7

Craig Krenzel 52.5

Caleb Hanie 41.6

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 21, 2011 -> 01:47 PM)
Yates has also had his RB's there in the games since he took over.

Granted. Still, the Bears run game hasn't been miserable in Forte's absence - despite the fact that teams were stacking the box. Obviously, Forte's absence is felt in the screen/checkdown game. Hanie could have benefitted from having Forte as a checkdown, provided that Hanie would've thrown accurate passes to Forte. Hanie's on-field performances provide evidence to the contrary.

I don't think there are any viable excuses to explain away Hanie's failures. He's just been THAT bad.

QUOTE (MurcieOne @ Dec 21, 2011 -> 02:06 PM)
Granted. Still, the Bears run game hasn't been miserable in Forte's absence - despite the fact that teams were stacking the box. Obviously, Forte's absence is felt in the screen/checkdown game. Hanie could have benefitted from having Forte as a checkdown, provided that Hanie would've thrown accurate passes to Forte. Hanie's on-field performances provide evidence to the contrary.

I don't think there are any viable excuses to explain away Hanie's failures. He's just been THAT bad.

Well one viable excuse is the offensive line. I don't think it means Hanie would have been a superstar or anything, but it is an valid question.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id...for-caleb-hanie

ESPN's Stats & Information judges each NFL pass to determine whether it was thrown "under duress," defined as any time a quarterback is forced from the pocket, had his throwing motion altered or faced a defender with a clear path in his line of sight. When under duress, Hanie threw all three of his touchdown passes and two of his interceptions. When not under duress, he threw seven interceptions.

Some context: Hanie is the only NFL quarterback with at least 80 attempts this season who hasn't thrown at least one touchdown pass when not under duress.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 21, 2011 -> 06:48 PM)

In other words, he can't read defenses and is dumb as s***. He is a good athlete and can have success when improvising and allowing his athleticism to take over.

That probably explains why he had success when thrown into the mix against GB, had success at the end of the Raiders game, had a little success at the end of the Chiefs game, had a little success in the second half of the Broncos game....it seems like he just isn't particularly good unless he is forced to avoid thinking.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 21, 2011 -> 08:53 AM)
Some of that won't change. football is a sport where there are purposeful collisions. quarterbacks are not typically the ones you see with these symptoms. You do now becuase of the prevalence of the artificial surfaces.

However, a factor that people don't talk about because it isn't as populr of a topic is that much of that brain damage can be link to steriod use as well. This is where the media misses the boat. Steriod use is as big a factor as the concussions for brain damage.

http://www.onionsportsnetwork.com/articles...football,26140/