Official 2011-2012 NFL Thread

• Replies 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 24, 2011 -> 07:42 AM)
do you guys think this is the worst offense ever trotted out on an nfl field?

QB Josh McCown

RB Bell

WR Hester

WR Bennett? is he playing

TE spaeth

bears oline.

I might be an idiot but I think Bell is a starting RB. The dude looks good every time I see him. Good vision, quick burst, nice cuts. I really like Bell and I think he could really produce (if we had a QB). The one bright side to the Bears stinking is all of those naysayers can finally realize we have something in Cutler and the Bears front office might finally rally around him and give him some weapons (and there are some available in free agency).

I also think with a QB, it would be wise for the Bears to take an annual flyer at wideout every year (late round) of those big physical guys that maybe just haven't produced. I think having a good QB is huge for the overall development of wideouts. I also think that we all know that we have about 1 legit starter at wideout (no more than a #2 though in Bennett) and 2 role players at wide-out (Knox & Hester).

As much as I hate knox, the dude does have a role in the NFL (if he can get better and I hope he can).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 24, 2011 -> 02:46 PM)
As much as I hate knox, the dude does have a role in the NFL (if he can get better and I hope he can).

Right now, if I'm in the Bears FO, I think I'm planning for a future without Knox. If he happens to be able to play football again, great, but I don't know how you can count on that. Maybe by late-Feb the doctors reports will be clear, but with everything I've read...that looks career-threatening, and the Bears haven't exactly been open with a discussion of how bad it was.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 24, 2011 -> 11:53 AM)
Right now, if I'm in the Bears FO, I think I'm planning for a future without Knox. If he happens to be able to play football again, great, but I don't know how you can count on that. Maybe by late-Feb the doctors reports will be clear, but with everything I've read...that looks career-threatening, and the Bears haven't exactly been open with a discussion of how bad it was.

I agree. I think you build the team knowing you need at least 2 more wide-outs, one of which needs to be a #1 wideout. I don't know what route they go with the other wide-reciever (it could be 2 free agents or you could draft someone relatively early and hope they pan out). ALl I know is good offenses have a lot of good wideouts they can put in and it really allows them to continue to roll even when injuries happen. You add 2 wideouts and Knox gets healthy and that isn't too shabby (plus of course a special teams/depth guy).

I'm pretty convinced Dane isn't that guy (too inconsistent with those hands for a guy that is a "hands" receiver).

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 24, 2011 -> 11:53 AM)

I thought most everything has indicated he'd be able to play football again (or at least they are optimistic regarding that).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 24, 2011 -> 02:57 PM)
I'm pretty convinced Dane isn't that guy (too inconsistent with those hands for a guy that is a "hands" receiver).

I think he can have a role as a 5th/6th WR, guy who comes in as a slowly improving hands guy and plays a fair amount on ST, but yeah, the Bears need to target 2 WR's this offseason at least. They have no #1, their #2 is regularly hurt, and their #3/slot is Knox (may never play again), Sanzenbacher, and the best ST guy in the league. Oh, and their #4 WR is one of the biggest drug dealers in Chicago.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 24, 2011 -> 02:58 PM)
I thought most everything has indicated he'd be able to play football again (or at least they are optimistic regarding that).

I'll believe it when I see it...and there's also "Getting back to the level he was at beforehand' that matters too.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Dec 24, 2011 -> 03:08 PM)
"the level he was at beforehand" wasn't exactly starting-quality.

He'd be really useful in a 3rd WR role if you had Bennett and say, Vincent Jackson on the other side, where all Knox ever had to do was run deep when he was in there and defy the defense to single cover him. If he's single covered, he's a home run target, if they send a safety after him, then you can shred the defense with the single-covered guys down low who can catch (Bennett) or Catch and run (Jackson).

He also actually does compliment Sanzenbacher somewhat, because if he can develop as a hands guy, you can put Sanzenbacher in on 3rd and 4 plays and have 3-4 short possession/first down options to target (counting Forte).

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 24, 2011 -> 02:47 PM)
The Bills have just dropped 17 points on the Tebows in the first 7:15 of the 4th quarter and are on the verge of putting the miracle worker away.

The Broncos are nothing when that defense isn't effective. The Bills don't even have a good offense.

Oakland somehow won that game against KC. Looks like it could be a 3-way tie in that division going into week 17. Exciting stuff.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 24, 2011 -> 03:16 PM)
Bills officially finish off Tebow. He goes 13/30, 185 yards, 1 TD, 4 INT (3 in Q4, couple for TD's).

Denver now needs to beat KC next week to make the playoffs. The Raiders are about to tie them in record and the Chargers get the Lions later on.

Oy. The magic is dwindling.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Dec 24, 2011 -> 04:39 PM)
God damnit Jets, that was so awful. Now the Cowboys have nothing to play for. At least Felix and Robinson have another week to get healthy, but now Romo is banged up.

Just please, no injuries. And the defense showing SOME life would be nice.

Nothing? If they win next week, they're in. If anything, they've got EVERYTHING to play for.

But being a Cowboys fan, I have little confidence that they get it done.