Official 2011-2012 NFL Thread

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 3, 2012 -> 06:08 PM)
He really said that? Forte will be happy to hear that, but you know it can't be true. How can money not be a factor in personnel decisions, especially in a league with a salary cap?

Yeah, I was wondering if he meant coaching personnel...

• Replies 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Jan 3, 2012 -> 05:41 PM)
The first order of business for our next GM is PROTECT our franchise QB with quality OLineman (first and foremost), find a #1 WR through free agency and start finding defensive replacements for our aging D through the draft.

Don't get cheap on us now, McCaskey.

I agree. The most important positions in football, in my opinion, are QB, OL and DL (in order with the latter two being interchangeable). And the only way to acquire talent at these spots is through hitting on your first- and second-round picks or through free agency. The latter is not the most efficient way to build, but might have to be done with the Bears this year.

The Bears really need to add a No. 1 WR through free agency (Bowe/V-Jax would be perfect), add two veteran Olinemen in free agency and a stud in the secondary. Finally, they need to draft the BEST PLAYER available in the first and second round unless it's a QB/RB. The best teams in the NFL don't draft for need, it's always on talent. We have so many glaring needs, it really doesn't matter what position the player is, he can find meaningful snaps.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jan 3, 2012 -> 07:46 PM)
I agree. The most important positions in football, in my opinion, are QB, OL and DL (in order with the latter two being interchangeable). And the only way to acquire talent at these spots is through hitting on your first- and second-round picks or through free agency. The latter is not the most efficient way to build, but might have to be done with the Bears this year.

I don't think our line play is as bad as it seems...especially if we run an offense that no longer requires 7 step drops every other passing attempt.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 3, 2012 -> 07:49 PM)
I don't think our line play is as bad as it seems...especially if we run an offense that no longer requires 7 step drops every other passing attempt.

I think we are solid in the guards and center, but I seriously cannot stand seeing J'Marcus Webb starting at tackle again. And I am very concerned about Carimi and his ability to stay healthy. Had medical yellow flags coming out of Wiscy and that didn't change in Year One.

The line doesn't need as much work as it seems really. First off a new offense will put much less pressure on the line as shack alluded to. Secondly next year they will get guys back from injury. I like Webb as a depth guy but nit as the franchise LT. So, if you bring in another LT your line starts looking like this

New LT

C. Williams

Garza or Spencer

Spencer or Louis

Carimi

And now your bench is Webb, Spencer or Louis, E. Williams, and another guy (Omiyale gets a job application at a used car dealership). That's really not bad at all.

My first choice for GM would be Eric DeCosta from Baltimore and Reggie McKenzie from GB. DeCosta doesn't seem to be in a hurry to leave Baltimore though, and the ravens have him tapped as Ozzie Newsome's successor whenever that is.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jan 3, 2012 -> 11:59 PM)
New LT

C. Williams

Garza or Spencer

Spencer or Louis

Carimi

And now your bench is Webb, Spencer or Louis, E. Williams, and another guy (Omiyale gets a job application at a used car dealership). That's really not bad at all.

I can't say I disagree with you. I think the Bears have some options and flexibility with the line. It all starts with finding a bonafide LT. Then you can maybe bring in a true starting C and move Garza back to RG. The line would improve further if you move your best RG back at RG and upgrade the C position as well. Still, I wouldn't be upset if Garza is our starting C going into next year. He was pretty solid there too.

The real question is how do you improve the WR position? Other than Earl Bennett (a solid possession WR), what do we have? I'm not in favor of blowing a mid-to-late 1st round pick on a WR. I think that leaves spending money on Bowe or Jackson or other FA WR that I can't recall right now.

One last thought. . . .

What is the benefit of letting Ted Phillips, a self-proclaimed "non-football guy," run the hiring search for the new GM? Moreover, why is he involved in football decisions at all? Why not hire a "President of Football Operations" and let Phillips run the business side of things? I just don't understand the philosophy of the Bears "organizational structure." I am happy that George McCaskey seems less complacent than other members of his family, but part of "putting the right people in the right places" requires finding someone qualified to make those decisions. What qualifies Phillips (who hired a search firm to hire Angelo) to make the hiring decision for the new GM?

I hope the Bears take a serious run at Jeremy Bates for the new OC for Cutler. It's gonna be even more criminal for Cutler to learn another new offense 3 out of 4 seasons. Just destroys his development. Get him back to the West Coast offense. Cutler has praised Bates before. Tice is another one who I wouldn't mind them promoting for Cutler to still have the same offense. And we all know Tice is a guy who loves to run the ball.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jan 4, 2012 -> 03:18 AM)
I hope the Bears take a serious run at Jeremy Bates for the new OC for Cutler. It's gonna be even more criminal for Cutler to learn another new offense 3 out of 4 seasons. Just destroys his development. Get him back to the West Coast offense. Cutler has praised Bates before. Tice is another one who I wouldn't mind them promoting for Cutler to still have the same offense. And we all know Tice is a guy who loves to run the ball.

FWIW, they had a falling out before he went to Seattle

Dez Clark was on the score yesterday and he really gave bigtime props to Cutler and his ability to play and understand the game. He all but said that a different OC was necessary because Martz didnt try and use Cutlers ability to make in-game decisions by himself and Cutler needs that to be effective.

QUOTE (MurcieOne @ Jan 4, 2012 -> 12:16 AM)
I can't say I disagree with you. I think the Bears have some options and flexibility with the line. It all starts with finding a bonafide LT. Then you can maybe bring in a true starting C and move Garza back to RG. The line would improve further if you move your best RG back at RG and upgrade the C position as well. Still, I wouldn't be upset if Garza is our starting C going into next year. He was pretty solid there too.

The real question is how do you improve the WR position? Other than Earl Bennett (a solid possession WR), what do we have? I'm not in favor of blowing a mid-to-late 1st round pick on a WR. I think that leaves spending money on Bowe or Jackson or other FA WR that I can't recall right now.

Looks like the top WR FA's are Bowe, Wayne, Colston, Vincent and DeSean Jackson, Welker, Stevie Johnson, Brandon Lloyd, Robert Meachem, and Mario Manningham. Mike Wallace is also available but he is restricted.

I would say Bowe should be our single largest offseason concern once we get the GM and OC situation sorted out. Wayne could be available should Manning get dealt, but I can't see him leaving Indy (or Peyton allowing him to) unless Peyton is out too. I would think Welker is smart enough to know to stay in New England, question is whether or not they are willing to pay him what he might get offered on the open market. I would think Colston might get out of NO, since Brees already has so many other weapons, and Vincent Jackson might be swayed by a big offer, but we certainly don't want DeSean, Stevie, or Brandon Lloyd again. So my feeling is we better targe Bowe.

At least there are a lot of options for this area of need.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jan 4, 2012 -> 12:01 AM)
My first choice for GM would be Eric DeCosta from Baltimore and Reggie McKenzie from GB. DeCosta doesn't seem to be in a hurry to leave Baltimore though, and the ravens have him tapped as Ozzie Newsome's successor whenever that is.

I'm really banking on Cutler making us a more attractive destination for a guy like McKenzie than in the past, when the person stepping in always had to be concerned about finding a qb.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 4, 2012 -> 07:32 AM)
Dez Clark was on the score yesterday and he really gave bigtime props to Cutler and his ability to play and understand the game. He all but said that a different OC was necessary because Martz didnt try and use Cutlers ability to make in-game decisions by himself and Cutler needs that to be effective.

We just keep wasting prime "good QB" time in Chicago. Pretty soon, Cutler will be gone and the carousel will begin anew.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jan 4, 2012 -> 08:06 AM)
Just wondering if anybody else noticed that Angelo's firing seemed to come out of nowhere the day after Bill Polian's firing came out of nowhere, as if the decision to fire Angelo wasn't made until Polian was available.

The decision to fire Angelo came two days following the final Bears game of the season. Bill Polian is 69 and apparently would come in a package deal with his son who is the reason Bill no longer works for the Indianapolis Colts.

I do not believe the two items were related.

I just don't see why the Polians are so attractive. Basically the exact same thing happened to the Colts that happened to the Bears. They lost their star QB and an astonishing lack of depth was exposed on an aging defense and offense.

So, why the Polians?

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 4, 2012 -> 07:32 AM)

Martz didn't even let Cutler really audible. The OC should be making his game-plan adapt to his franchise QB, not the other way around.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 4, 2012 -> 08:46 AM)
I just don't see why the Polians are so attractive. Basically the exact same thing happened to the Colts that happened to the Bears. They lost their star QB and an astonishing lack of depth was exposed on an aging defense and offense.

So, why the Polians?

You would be going on what he did in Buffalo, Carolina and Indy(just not the last 3 years). I would tell him to leave his kid at home.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jan 4, 2012 -> 08:52 AM)
You would be going on what he did in Buffalo, Carolina and Indy(just not the last 3 years). I would tell him to leave his kid at home.

If it was simply a case of telling him to leave his kid at home I think he would still be employed by the Colts. Seems like they are a package deal.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 4, 2012 -> 08:58 AM)
If it was simply a case of telling him to leave his kid at home I think he would still be employed by the Colts. Seems like they are a package deal.

The older one is 69 years old, so it's not like he has much time left on the clock