Official 2011-2012 NFL Thread

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 9, 2012 -> 02:27 PM)
And that fact was proven over 2-3 seasons.

He's played 14 games in his career.

In both 2008 and 2009, he was given 3 games where he had a solid first game but then struggled, and was sent to the bench after 2 poor performances. The Browns won one of those games in 2008 in spite of him, but they benched him anyway.

• Replies 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Jan 9, 2012 -> 01:23 PM)
The Broncos had 3 s***ty QBs. s***ty QB 1 failed, which left them with 2 options: s***ty QB 2 and s***ty QB 3 who also happens to have a massive following because he thanks jebus after winning football games.

Which would you start? And if he was clearly their best option all along, why was he slotted as a 3rd stringer?

Claiming that his religous cult following crap had NOTHING to do with him playing is what's ridiculous.

I probably would have stuck with Orton honestly. The season was lost, let him finish it out. Tebow clearly wasn't ready yet, and Quinn just flat out sucks. But Tebow would have been my next choice because I would want to see if he's got any future with the organization. I wouldn't keep him in the organization for 3-4 years without knowing if he could step in an play if my #1 goes down.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 9, 2012 -> 02:31 PM)
I probably would have stuck with Orton honestly. The season was lost, let him finish it out. Tebow clearly wasn't ready yet, and Quinn just flat out sucks. But Tebow would have been my next choice because I would want to see if he's got any future with the organization. I wouldn't keep him in the organization for 3-4 years without knowing if he could step in an play if my #1 goes down.

hell, I would have gone with Tebow too. But let's understand why...it's because he was a first round pick when he didn't deserve to be, and because the fanbase won't let the org live it down if they didn't give him a chance.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 9, 2012 -> 01:31 PM)

In both 2008 and 2009, he was given 3 games where he had a solid first game but then struggled, and was sent to the bench after 2 poor performances. The Browns won one of those games in 2008 in spite of him, but they benched him anyway.

And in 2009-2010 he played in 10 games, had 8 td's and 10 turnovers and a 67 QB rating. He was then traded by the franchise that drafted him. I'm sure he'll be a pro-bowler soon.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 9, 2012 -> 01:31 PM)

Then he started 6 straight games late in 2009. One very outstanding game vs a bad Lions team, and another decent game, but then let's look at the other 4 games.

13-31, 99 yds, 2 INTs, 0 TDs

15-34, 100 yds, 0 TDs

6-19, 90 yds, 0 TDs

10-17, 66 yds, 0 TDs, 2 INTs

Bad.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 9, 2012 -> 02:36 PM)
Then he started 6 straight games late in 2009. One very outstanding game vs a bad Lions team, and another decent game, but then let's look at the other 4 games.

13-31, 99 yds, 2 INTs, 0 TDs

15-34, 100 yds, 0 TDs

6-19, 90 yds, 0 TDs

10-17, 66 yds, 0 TDs, 2 INTs

Bad.

And this 6 game stretch is pretty much the only legit bit people have to evaluate him on, and the usual rule of thumb is that it takes minimum 16-32 games of consistent playing time for a QB to really start to develop in terms of reading a defense and managing an offense. I'm not surprised people would like to see what he has to offer either, if a team doesn't have much at the QB slot.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 9, 2012 -> 01:31 PM)

The biggest reason Tebow played is because Elway had to make an evaluation on whether he was worth keeping or not. With the team lost for the year, there was no downside. If he failed, Elway would know to bury him.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 9, 2012 -> 01:42 PM)
And this 6 game stretch is pretty much the only legit bit people have to evaluate him on, and the usual rule of thumb is that it takes minimum 16-32 games of consistent playing time for a QB to really start to develop in terms of reading a defense and managing an offense. I'm not surprised people would like to see what he has to offer either, if a team doesn't have much at the QB slot.

So that's why Caleb Hanie struggled so much in that small 4-game stretch. It's not that he is bad at football, he just needs consistent playing time to develop into a good QB. I'm sure someone will give him that chance.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 9, 2012 -> 02:48 PM)
The biggest reason Tebow played is because Elway had to make an evaluation on whether he was worth keeping or not. With the team lost for the year, there was no downside. If he failed, Elway would know to bury him.

And the reason why this particular 3rd string QB had to be decided immediately on whether he was worth keeping or not was...?

He wasn't going anywhere, he doesn't have any options that need picked up in the next couple years, he wasn't going to be cut, they were already out of position for Luck...there's no legitimate football-related reason why that player needed to be evaluated immediately, especially following an offseason where he didn't get the coaching he needed to try to grow as a passer.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 9, 2012 -> 01:51 PM)
So that's why Caleb Hanie struggled so much in that small 4-game stretch. It's not that he is bad at football, he just needs consistent playing time to develop into a good QB. I'm sure someone will give him that chance.

16-32 times!

Also all of the negativity about Tebow this year and his future potential isn't fair because he should be evaluated over the course of 16-32 games too.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 9, 2012 -> 02:52 PM)
Also all of the negativity about Tebow this year and his future potential isn't fair because he should be evaluated over the course of 16-32 games too.

Totally true, and I'm still in the camp that the thing the Broncos need to do next year is to try to bring in guys who can help him with his weaknesses. I think that they're nuts if they don't throw their checkbook at Wes Welker.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 9, 2012 -> 01:52 PM)
And the reason why this particular 3rd string QB had to be decided immediately on whether he was worth keeping or not was...?

He wasn't going anywhere, he doesn't have any options that need picked up in the next couple years, he wasn't going to be cut, they were already out of position for Luck...there's no legitimate football-related reason why that player needed to be evaluated immediately, especially following an offseason where he didn't get the coaching he needed to try to grow as a passer.

Um, weren't the Broncos 1-4 when Tebow was handed the reigns? And a terrible 1-4 at that? They were not out of the Luck race. So it would make sense that the Broncos needed to know if Tebow was an option for the future or if they would have to draft a QB.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 9, 2012 -> 01:53 PM)
Totally true, and I'm still in the camp that the thing the Broncos need to do next year is to try to bring in guys who can help him with his weaknesses. I think that they're nuts if they don't throw their checkbook at Wes Welker.

Welker is great, but he can't catch it if it's 7 feet over his head and 5 feet to his right. The only player that could help Tebow with his weaknesses might be Calvin Johnson.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jan 9, 2012 -> 01:52 PM)
I am forced to like and root for Tebow because everyone else hates him.

I am the exact same way. His flaws are entirely obvious. But the fact that he continues to prove his doubters wrong makes me root for him. I'm not a fan of his so much as i'm a fan of the whole wildcard storylines he creates. He makes the last 6 minutes of boring football games interesting (though this Steelers game was one of the few that was exciting throughout).

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jan 9, 2012 -> 01:52 PM)

I rooted for Denver for the soul fact that I wouldn't have to listen to Joe Cowley's smug ass talking about Pittsburgh all week logn.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 9, 2012 -> 02:59 PM)
I rooted for Denver for the soul fact that I wouldn't have to listen to Joe Cowley's smug ass talking about Pittsburgh all week logn.

I rooted for Denver because their QB is not a rapist.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jan 9, 2012 -> 02:52 PM)

I'm usually the same way but I just can't stand Tebow.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 9, 2012 -> 02:59 PM)
I am the exact same way. His flaws are entirely obvious. But the fact that he continues to prove his doubters wrong makes me root for him. I'm not a fan of his so much as i'm a fan of the whole wildcard storylines he creates. He makes the last 6 minutes of boring football games interesting (though this Steelers game was one of the few that was exciting throughout).

He hasn't proven anyone wrong, he had a good game yesterday but besides that he has still been garbage.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 9, 2012 -> 01:59 PM)

Your first problem is that your listen or read anything that Joe Cowley has to say anymore.