Official 2011-2012 NFL Thread

• Replies 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know that 49ers vs Baltimore would be the best story (Harbaugh vs Harbaugh), but what two teams do you all thing would make for the most interesting Superbowl to watch? My favorite team left is the 49ers and I want them to go, but I think NE vs Giants would be the most interesting. I think the Giants have the best chance of keeping up with NE and I like the fact that it would be a Super Bowl rematch from when NY spoiled NE's perfect season. Its funny the way the NFL works, I like New England's chances and this is not one of the better teams they have put out there in the past 7 or 8 years.

QUOTE (The Gooch @ Jan 16, 2012 -> 10:58 AM)
I know that 49ers vs Baltimore would be the best story (Harbaugh vs Harbaugh), but what two teams do you all thing would make for the most interesting Superbowl to watch? My favorite team left is the 49ers and I want them to go, but I think NE vs Giants would be the most interesting. I think the Giants have the best chance of keeping up with NE and I like the fact that it would be a Super Bowl rematch from when NY spoiled NE's perfect season. Its funny the way the NFL works, I like New England's chances and this is not one of the better teams they have put out there in the past 7 or 8 years.

I really don't care about the "Subplots", so I think the only game I might really not enjoy is 49ers vs. Baltimore, because I don't know if either of those QB's would be able to move the ball against the opposing defense.

That said, that'd be one solid defensive struggle.

QUOTE (The Gooch @ Jan 16, 2012 -> 09:58 AM)

I'm having a hard time finding a matchup I'd really care about... I have zero interest in seeing the Patriots in another Super Bowl, and though they did the deed, I also don't need to see the Giants in another Super Bowl. That being said, the Ravens are boring to watch.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 16, 2012 -> 10:02 AM)
I really don't care about the "Subplots", so I think the only game I might really not enjoy is 49ers vs. Baltimore, because I don't know if either of those QB's would be able to move the ball against the opposing defense.

That said, that'd be one solid defensive struggle.

I concur. 49ers/Ravens could look like LSU/Alabama, and I don't know if I can handle another game like that. 49ers/Patriots would be an entertaining contrast of styles.

As far as actual rooting interest, I don't necessarily like any of the teams, so I don't care too much who wins.

QUOTE (The Gooch @ Jan 16, 2012 -> 09:58 AM)

I'm not sure about that...their defense is definitely a vulnerability but this offense of theirs rivals almost any they have had other than the 2007 one...

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 16, 2012 -> 10:20 AM)
I'm not sure about that...their defense is definitely a vulnerability but this offense of theirs rivals almost any they have had other than the 2007 one...

Their offense looks as good as ever, but their defense is at the bottom of the league. The big difference for me this year is that there are a lot more high powered offenses than usual. I think a lot more teams had the capability to keep up with NE than in the past, but most of them have been eliminated already.

QUOTE (The Gooch @ Jan 16, 2012 -> 11:31 AM)
Their offense looks as good as ever, but their defense is at the bottom of the league. The big difference for me this year is that there are a lot more high powered offenses than usual. I think a lot more teams had the capability to keep up with NE than in the past, but most of them have been eliminated already.

Yes they have...and New England's offense is a little different in my opinion...Gronkowsi and Hernandez are just insanely talented players at a position where defenses are not usually going to be able to matchup, no matter what scheme you employ against them. I'll be very interested to see how Baltimore tries to slow them down.

I wrote a few weeks ago that I though last year's Packers 10-6 team was better than this year's 15-1 team soley on the fact that GB's D was awesome last year, while this year they were awful, all it took was a team that was solid on D and have a more than capable O.I'm shocked though how eay the Giants beat the Pack, if it wasn't for two awful ref calls, it would've been more of a beatdown.

If the 49ers and Ravens make it to the SB, that would go against the "passing offense wins in today's NFL" thinking, wouldn't it?

Not really, winning or losing a game doesnt mean that the system is any better or worse.

Packers lost partially because of the Giants passing game.

49ers were able to beat the Saints because their QB had one of the best games of his career.

If the Giants or 49ers didnt throw the ball as well as they did, they likely would have lost. If anything, it would appear that passing defense kind of matters.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Jan 16, 2012 -> 10:49 AM)
I wrote a few weeks ago that I though last year's Packers 10-6 team was better than this year's 15-1 team soley on the fact that GB's D was awesome last year, while this year they were awful, all it took was a team that was solid on D and have a more than capable O.I'm shocked though how eay the Giants beat the Pack, if it wasn't for two awful ref calls, it would've been more of a beatdown.

If the 49ers and Ravens make it to the SB, that would go against the "passing offense wins in today's NFL" thinking, wouldn't it?

Like Badger said, Alex Smith had the game of his life and actually bailed SFs defense out. Eli Manning is no longer Peyton's little brother. He's a proven/great QB who's two wins away from one upping big brother in the ring department. This past weekend did nothing to distort the fact that his is a pass-heavy league and you better have a QB and weapons for that QB to win.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 16, 2012 -> 11:16 AM)
Im generally in the anyone but the Patriots camp, but since the fates already handed me a Packers loss, I consider these playoffs to be a success and will just enjoy the game.

True. Either way, I'll be drunk so it's a win.

Like Badger said, Alex Smith had the game of his life and actually bailed SFs defense out. Eli Manning is no longer Peyton's little brother. He's a proven/great QB who's two wins away from one upping big brother in the ring department. This past weekend did nothing to distort the fact that his is a pass-heavy league.

Actually Alex Smith has been playing like this for most of the season. I've to give Harbaugh a lot of credit for giving Alex the confidence even before the season started.

I'll agree with about Eli. He's an elite QB

Alex Smith has not been passing that way they entire season.

Yesterday he threw for 299 yards, highest amount this entire season, he had 42 attempts, highest amount this season, 3td tied for highest amount, 24 completions, highest amount.

Half of Smith's game this year he didnt even throw for over 200 yards.

Now granted if you go back in this thread you will see me defending Smith and saying that he was good enough to win a Super Bowl, but the guy accounted for 4 tds, which I believe may be the first time he has ever done that.

Lets be realistic here, if the Saints dont self implode with turnovers, they probably win that game. Which is why I from the start said that the 49ers could win, but that the Saints had the larger margin of error.

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Jan 16, 2012 -> 11:20 AM)
Actually Alex Smith has been playing like this for most of the season. I've to give Harbaugh a lot of credit for giving Alex the confidence even before the season started.

I'll agree with about Eli. He's an elite QB

I know you love your boy. But no, he went above and beyond anything he had done previously this year. He won them that game.

Alex Smith has not been passing that way they entire season.

Yesterday he threw for 299 yards, highest amount this entire season, he had 42 attempts, highest amount this season, 3td tied for highest amount, 24 completions, highest amount.

Half of Smith's game this year he didnt even throw for over 200 yards.

Now granted if you go back in this thread you will see me defending Smith and saying that he was good enough to win a Super Bowl, but the guy accounted for 4 tds, which I believe may be the first time he has ever done that.

Lets be realistic here, if the Saints dont self implode with turnovers, they probably win that game. Which is why I from the start said that the 49ers could win, but that the Saints had the larger margin of error.

I'll take 3200 passing yds, 17 TD's and 5 int from Alex.

The Saints made those turnovers because of our great defense and special teams. We play all 3 parts of the football game very well. The Saints haven't a face team that hits harder than us all year.

Edited by SOXOBAMA