Official 2011-2012 NFL Thread

• Replies 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jan 29, 2012 -> 11:15 AM)
You're telling me you put Peyton on the Browns or the Rams and they're SB contenders? I don't even think the Colts this year WITH HIM would be that good. That defense was just awful.

Part of that is that in years past, other offenses had to keep up with Manning or play from behind, which had the Colts defenses able to just tee off with Mathis and Freeney... they always had problems stopping the run, save for a couple of years (one of them being 2006). This year they couldn't do that and you saw the result.

I'm really excited about the Emery hiring. He has a very strong history of drafting talent. I'm curious to see how he does in the peronsell move department (as that will be a bit new for him). However, I have a feeling we are about to see a bit of a culture change in the front office.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 30, 2012 -> 10:48 AM)
I'm really excited about the Emery hiring. He has a very strong history of drafting talent. I'm curious to see how he does in the peronsell move department (as that will be a bit new for him). However, I have a feeling we are about to see a bit of a culture change in the front office.

I hope so. I don't really know how to "gauge" (pun intended) whether or not were in for any culture change. In fact, Emery is familiar with Halas Hall and the way things work. I think that's a big reason he got the job. Accordingly, I'm not really excited for the hiring. I'm cautiously optimistic, mostly just because Phil Emery is not Jerry Angelo.

QUOTE (MurcieOne @ Jan 30, 2012 -> 11:31 AM)
I hope so. I don't really know how to "gauge" (pun intended) whether or not were in for any culture change. In fact, Emery is familiar with Halas Hall and the way things work. I think that's a big reason he got the job. Accordingly, I'm not really excited for the hiring. I'm cautiously optimistic, mostly just because Phil Emery is not Jerry Angelo.

I'm in the same boat. He might work out, but I was hoping that they would really clean house, not just bring in a guy who basically was in the same team for a number of years. I would have taken the Pats guy with one mission: bring everything they do there and bring it here.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 30, 2012 -> 01:52 PM)
I'm in the same boat. He might work out, but I was hoping that they would really clean house, not just bring in a guy who basically was in the same team for a number of years. I would have taken the Pats guy with one mission: bring everything they do there and bring it here.

And bringing in one of Pioli's assistants doesn't count?

QUOTE (daa84 @ Jan 30, 2012 -> 02:08 PM)
trying to listen to the press conference via streaming 670, and all i can hear is those tools Boers and bernstien playing annoying, not funny sound bites over Emery talking

I honestly don't know how anyone stands those two... they are obnoxious and only take the callers that are easy to poke fun at. They also never own up to things they are wrong about.... just a waste of airtime.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Jan 30, 2012 -> 02:12 PM)
I honestly don't know how anyone stands those two... they are obnoxious and only take the callers that are easy to poke fun at. They also never own up to things they are wrong about.... just a waste of airtime.

+1

Emery pretty impressive so far in this press conference. But I do have 1 problem...he said he's most proud of the 2005 NFL Draft with the Falcons. He drafted Roddy White, Jonathan Babineaux and Michael Boley. The bad: he drafted Frank Omiyale.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Jan 30, 2012 -> 02:12 PM)

I find them very entertaining. Yes, occasionally they get out of control and you have to tune out. But when they are on their game, they are easily the smartest & most knowledgable sports personalities on Chicago radio.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 30, 2012 -> 01:32 PM)
And bringing in one of Pioli's assistants doesn't count?

Eh, I guess, but it's not exactly like being in the Patriots front office/facilities. I dunno, i'd take anyone from the Packers, Steelers or Patriots organizations. They compete every year.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 30, 2012 -> 02:44 PM)
Eh, I guess, but it's not exactly like being in the Patriots front office/facilities. I dunno, i'd take anyone from the Packers, Steelers or Patriots organizations. They compete every year.

In Drew Magary's latest Jambaroo (other than this last one about killing bats and whatever other assorted's he has for the one during dead week) he brought up a point about how the reason that the Patriots' Way can work is because they have the best coach in the game and he can make it work. Thus far, he has been the only coach that has been able to do so, and the Patriots have had a ton of guys between college and the pros take over teams and have seen them fail pretty miserably.

Now, I know that Drew Magary isn't exactly the most credible of sources for NFL football, but it's a generally good point. The Patriots have been good about finding guys that fit their system and can do what they need them to do. The Patriots have made guys like David Givens, Deion Branch, and Wes Welker look extremely good. Do you think those guys could do something similar elsewhere?

I honestly think the only way I'd want the Bills to bring in someone from the Patriots would be if they could bring in Belichick. That simply won't happen.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 04:17 AM)
In Drew Magary's latest Jambaroo (other than this last one about killing bats and whatever other assorted's he has for the one during dead week) he brought up a point about how the reason that the Patriots' Way can work is because they have the best coach in the game and he can make it work. Thus far, he has been the only coach that has been able to do so, and the Patriots have had a ton of guys between college and the pros take over teams and have seen them fail pretty miserably.

Now, I know that Drew Magary isn't exactly the most credible of sources for NFL football, but it's a generally good point. The Patriots have been good about finding guys that fit their system and can do what they need them to do. The Patriots have made guys like David Givens, Deion Branch, and Wes Welker look extremely good. Do you think those guys could do something similar elsewhere?

I honestly think the only way I'd want the Bills to bring in someone from the Patriots would be if they could bring in Belichick. That simply won't happen.

Honestly the Patriots way hasn't been very effective the past few seasons.... their defense is below avg. the only good player is a DT taken in the same draft as Tommie Harris and the offense rolls with Tom Brady who probably could dominate with any group of weapons similar to Manning/Brees.

I was going to post something similar to Wite yesterday...we should be looking to begin the NEW Patriots way, i.e., the Bears way, not try and duplicate a system that half the rest of the League is attempting to emulate.

One thing in regards to Patriots coaches, I do think Charlie Weiss and Romeo Crennel are very good coaches, but once you start trying to bring in some of the lower (or lesser developed) branches from that coaching tree you start reaching.

I'm not thrilled with Emery, but I wasn't part of the interview process, nor do I have any sort of intimate knowledge of the candidates, so I am going to give the Bears the benefit of the doubt and believe this guy was the best candidate for us at this time.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 05:20 AM)
Honestly the Patriots way hasn't been very effective the past few seasons.... their defense is below avg. the only good player is a DT taken in the same draft as Tommie Harris and the offense rolls with Tom Brady who probably could dominate with any group of weapons similar to Manning/Brees.

They have been drafting so well that their secondary consists of a WR and a guy who couldn't make the Raiders practice squad this year. Their recent talent evaluation has been awful on defense. Somehow, Brady & Belichick still make it work.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 08:29 AM)
They have been drafting so well that their secondary consists of a WR and a guy who couldn't make the Raiders practice squad this year. Their recent talent evaluation has been awful on defense. Somehow, Brady & Belichick still make it work.

I think this season it has been mostly Brady.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 08:32 AM)
Drafting those TE's and keeping a solid O-Line in front of Brady despite some turnover has been 2 clearly important steps.

Like 2 or 3 seasons ago, their TEs had 31 catches or so on the entire season. Finding those two stud TEs, and developing & incorporating them into the offense so seamlessly was well done by Belichick.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 05:50 AM)
I was going to post something similar to Wite yesterday...we should be looking to begin the NEW Patriots way, i.e., the Bears way, not try and duplicate a system that half the rest of the League is attempting to emulate.

One thing in regards to Patriots coaches, I do think Charlie Weiss and Romeo Crennel are very good coaches, but once you start trying to bring in some of the lower (or lesser developed) branches from that coaching tree you start reaching.

I'm not thrilled with Emery, but I wasn't part of the interview process, nor do I have any sort of intimate knowledge of the candidates, so I am going to give the Bears the benefit of the doubt and believe this guy was the best candidate for us at this time.

I'd point out that Emery has also said in some areas he's different than the Patriots. The one thing I've figured out about Emery so far is that he seems to be the type of scout that likes athletes. He talked about getting guys that were bigger, faster, and stronger than the rest. I think the Patriot way he was referring to was the overall confidence factor and the fact that he wants to keep things quiet (no more leaks at Halas Hall).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 09:50 AM)
I'd point out that Emery has also said in some areas he's different than the Patriots. The one thing I've figured out about Emery so far is that he seems to be the type of scout that likes athletes. He talked about getting guys that were bigger, faster, and stronger than the rest. I think the Patriot way he was referring to was the overall confidence factor and the fact that he wants to keep things quiet (no more leaks at Halas Hall).

Oh I wasn't referring to Emery as having anything to do with the Pats...I was responding to the other posts about the Personnel guy we interviewed from the Pats.

As far as Emery goes, I know very little about him other than what has already been discussed.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 08:00 AM)
Oh I wasn't referring to Emery as having anything to do with the Pats...I was responding to the other posts about the Personnel guy we interviewed from the Pats.

As far as Emery goes, I know very little about him other than what has already been discussed.

My bad. I figured we were talking about Emery since he mentioned the "Patriot Way" during his press conference.