Official 2011-2012 NFL Thread

Also, I believe that in the NFL, teams have the ability to give agents permission to seek out trades, right? So the Colts could give Mannings' agent permission to do that next week. If the other option is hitting the free agent market and receiving nothing, then I'd say it'd be really likely that Manning's side would renegotiate at least a portion of that deal to reduce the cap hit when the trade happens, because he'd still have more leverage than if he was outright cut.

• Replies 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 09:24 AM)
Just cause he says he's healthy enough doesn't mean he is. Do you wanna risk $28 million and 1st round picks on a guy who may never play for you. He's not gonna tell ESPN how hurt he is, but I don't think all those "sources" are just making it up.

Clearly, you have to do a physical or something like that to cover your bases, and make sure you have the medical reports, but if that were a really huge issue, then everything is moot and there won't be a Lebron style free agent chase for him anyway.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 08:24 AM)
Just cause he says he's healthy enough doesn't mean he is. Do you wanna risk $28 million and 1st round picks on a guy who may never play for you. He's not gonna tell ESPN how hurt he is, but I don't think all those "sources" are just making it up.

It would be interesting to sit in on his physical and listen to what his doctors have to say.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 09:20 AM)
If I had $40 million in cap space, I'd absolutely risk that. I'd probably try my darndest to sit down with Manning and renegotiate part of that deal, which he might well do because he'd be aware that having his whole bonus hit the cap that year would hurt any chance he had of having a winning team around him. But if I'm again, the Jets, and I had to cut the Sanchize and give up a first and a conditional pick or something like that to put Manning on my roster, it happens.

But it's not just cap space. It's a $28 million roster bonus plus $23 million in cap space, correct?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 09:39 AM)
But it's not just cap space. It's a $28 million roster bonus plus $23 million in cap space, correct?

Whatever the total money is, that doesn't matter at all. If there's a team looking to turn themselves into a super bowl caliber team, he's worth more than that to a team and you know that. The big issue is the cap space.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 08:26 AM)
Clearly, you have to do a physical or something like that to cover your bases, and make sure you have the medical reports, but if that were a really huge issue, then everything is moot and there won't be a Lebron style free agent chase for him anyway.

But I think that's what it all comes down to. it wasn't an ACL injury that you know he can recover from. It's an injury that no one has tried to come back from before, the reports everywhere are conflicting. If it was guaranteed that he would play like Peyton Manning when he came back, it would be a diffferent story.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 02:57 PM)
http://www.drafttek.com/CMDRound1_17-32.asp

would love to see this draft for the bears.

Based on this draft I'd go with Alshon over Dwight Jones and in the 6th I'd go with Russell Wilson over the RB they had the bears taking, If the Bears wanna go with a RB in the 6th I'd rather have Herron.

I'd go with

1 RD Decastro

2 RD Jeffery WR

3 RD Cam Johnson DE

3 RD Orson Charles TE

4 RD Nate Potter OT

5 RD Cliff Harris CB

6 RD Russel Wilson QB

Based on this draft

While I would love it if it happened, I see no way that Jeffery slips to the Bears in the late second round. That guy is a physical freak, he is going to be a hell of a WR

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 08:53 AM)
Whatever the total money is, that doesn't matter at all. If there's a team looking to turn themselves into a super bowl caliber team, he's worth more than that to a team and you know that. The big issue is the cap space.

I disagree. He's going to be 36 when the season begins? The question is highly dependent on who you already have on your roster and what your financial situation is. Most teams aren't budgeting that kind of money for a qb unless that qb has already been on their roster. And you can't just start releasing players to create cap room. You have to pay penalties against the cap in most instances. So I don't think it's as easy as you would like to believe for a team to fit him on their roster. Then you're asking them to give up draft picks on top of that...I'm just not sure he's worth it unless you are fairly well-positioned to make something like that happen...and you really feel comfortable with his health.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 08:53 AM)

If all of this was moot as you are saying, he will be traded. I highly doubt the Colts would prefer to lose Manning for nothing. I also highly doubt a team is willing to mortgage their immediate future for such a large question mark. If Peyton never plays another down and some team goes all out and sends everything to Indy for him, that team could be screwed for the next 2-3 years in the draft. That could totally bury a team

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 10:12 AM)
I disagree. He's going to be 36 when the season begins? The question is highly dependent on who you already have on your roster and what your financial situation is. Most teams aren't budgeting that kind of money for a qb unless that qb has already been on their roster. And you can't just start releasing players to create cap room. You have to pay penalties against the cap in most instances. So I don't think it's as easy as you would like to believe for a team to fit him on their roster. Then you're asking them to give up draft picks on top of that...I'm just not sure he's worth it unless you are fairly well-positioned to make something like that happen...and you really feel comfortable with his health.

The latter part here is the only real issue to me. There are going to be at least 5 teams or so that would feel comfortable and well positioned enough to make that happen, and I'd give up a first rounder + some conditional picks to make sure I won the race for that QB...

Unless he wasn't expected to be healthy. And if he isn't, then this whole "Free Agent Manning" derby isn't going to happen.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 09:13 AM)
The latter part here is the only real issue to me. There are going to be at least 5 teams or so that would feel comfortable and well positioned enough to make that happen, and I'd give up a first rounder + some conditional picks to make sure I won the race for that QB...

Unless he wasn't expected to be healthy. And if he isn't, then this whole "Free Agent Manning" derby isn't going to happen.

I think it is sort of due diligence to at least explore it. And I think ultimately someone will probably pay up for him. But the fact that we are reading that they are considering releasing him sort of belies all the points you are making, does it not?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 10:20 AM)
I think it is sort of due diligence to at least explore it. And I think ultimately someone will probably pay up for him. But the fact that we are reading that they are considering releasing him sort of belies all the points you are making, does it not?

And that's what I can't figure out. If the guy is pretty likely to play next season, he's more than worth anything you'd give up in a reasonable trade. But I consume enough media to know that the reporters are salivating over covering the "Peyton Manning free agent pursuit!" story here in a week or two, and I can't figure out how it makes a lick of sense.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 09:25 AM)
And that's what I can't figure out. If the guy is pretty likely to play next season, he's more than worth anything you'd give up in a reasonable trade. But I consume enough media to know that the reporters are salivating over covering the "Peyton Manning free agent pursuit!" story here in a week or two, and I can't figure out how it makes a lick of sense.

Wait, I was with you until that last part...

Let me throw one more version out there.

If I were Peyton Manning, and March came along, and I found myself a free agent, but I also knew I was 6 months or more away from being ready for football action...I wouldn't sign a contract until I could go out and practice. Teams would clearly be more willing to pony up for me if I could go out on a practice field with them and start completing throws, and it's just guaranteed that teams will still have QB needs in training camp and afterwards.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 10:33 AM)
Wait, I was with you until that last part...

Adam Schefter was my latest one, he was on the radio this morning trying to figure out if he should cancel his post-super-bowl vacation in order to cover the Peyton Manning is a free agent! story.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 06:20 AM)
If I had $40 million in cap space, I'd absolutely risk that. I'd probably try my darndest to sit down with Manning and renegotiate part of that deal, which he might well do because he'd be aware that having his whole bonus hit the cap that year would hurt any chance he had of having a winning team around him. But if I'm again, the Jets, and I had to cut the Sanchize and give up a first and a conditional pick or something like that to put Manning on my roster, it happens.

It isn't cap space though, we are talking about real money, if I'm not mistaken. Would a team pay 28 million for a 1st round pick and a 3rd round pick? I'm not sure. I think I'd rather just use that money on free agents (or stash it until the team is ready to contend again).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 10:58 AM)
It isn't cap space though, we are talking about real money, if I'm not mistaken. Would a team pay 28 million for a 1st round pick and a 3rd round pick? I'm not sure. I think I'd rather just use that money on free agents (or stash it until the team is ready to contend again).

That's what I was saying...I know 1st round picks are the holy grail of NFL assets...but even one of those may not be worth $28 million in cash.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 10:14 AM)
That's what I was saying...I know 1st round picks are the holy grail of NFL assets...but even one of those may not be worth $28 million in cash.

It comes down to one thing. Can Manning win you a Super Bowl? If the answer is yes, then you have to consider it.

Ive been saying for a few weeks there is no possible way they can trade Peyton. The trading window doesnt open until a week after he is owed his $28 million roster bonus. So not only would the Colts have to actually hand Peyton $28 million dollars, but by paying that bonus it includes that money in his cap hit. So if they pay him his roster bonus and then traded him theyd be taking on 44 million in dead cap space over the next 2 seasons, including I believe over 30 million this upcoming season alone and the Colts are already in relative cap trouble as it is and have a lot of UFAs they need to consider and still have to pay the $20 million whatever guaranteed to Luck.

Then theres also the task of getting another team willing to take on Mannings contract that still has over 60 million in base salary over the next 4 seasons, and even if they could the Colts would still be responsible for that 28 million owed to him.

However,if the Colts cut Manning before March 8th they will only have 16 million in dead cap space over 2 seasons (80% of his 20 million dollar signing bonus) which is still pretty crippling to a team with so many needs who is already hurting for cap space.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 08:15 AM)
It comes down to one thing. Can Manning win you a Super Bowl? If the answer is yes, then you have to consider it.

That is something for the team that trades him to consider. The problem is if the Colts are going to trade him, they can't make the trade by the time his bonus comes due and thus, the Colts would be paying the $28M bonus vs. the acquiring team. So basically the Colts would be paying 28M for a 1st round pick (or whatever they get via trade).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 10:24 AM)
That is something for the team that trades him to consider. The problem is if the Colts are going to trade him, they can't make the trade by the time his bonus comes due and thus, the Colts would be paying the $28M bonus vs. the acquiring team. So basically the Colts would be paying 28M for a 1st round pick (or whatever they get via trade).

Which is a tough risk to take...

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 10:24 AM)

Its not just paying the 28 million as I said above, its also the fact that paying him that roster bonus more then doubles his cap hit.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 03:57 PM)
http://www.drafttek.com/CMDRound1_17-32.asp

would love to see this draft for the bears.

Based on this draft I'd go with Alshon over Dwight Jones and in the 6th I'd go with Russell Wilson over the RB they had the bears taking, If the Bears wanna go with a RB in the 6th I'd rather have Herron.

I'd go with

1 RD Decastro

2 RD Jeffery WR

3 RD Cam Johnson DE

3 RD Orson Charles TE

4 RD Nate Potter OT

5 RD Cliff Harris CB

6 RD Russel Wilson QB

Based on this draft

Orson Charles is a stud. I think he'll end up going earlier than where they have him slotted, especially with the impact pass-catching TE's are having around the league. But, I would love to have him on the Bears.

And I agree with the other posters that if we go OL in R1, it has to be LT. I love DeCastro, but as previously said, our Guard-play was solid this year. If we don't have, say, Mike Adams available at #19, then I'm okay with going for CB, DE, or LB if we don't target a WR.

Edited by dasox24

Mega-deal for Megatron?

The Detroit Lions have serious salary cap problems heading into the 2012 season.

The team is already using $122,760,121 of their 2012 cap space and there isn’t expected to be much growth when it comes to the cap (the cap is currently $120.375 million). Unless the Lions are able to get some players to re-structure their 2012 contracts, signing new additions in free agency will be difficult without releasing individuals currently on the roster.

The most obvious candidate for the Lions to approach in regards to reworking their contract is wide receiver Calvin Johnson. Thanks to hitting most of the escalators in his current deal, Johnson has the largest 2012 cap number in the NFL at $21,081,946. Cap situation aside, trying to extend Johnson’s contract was probably an off-season priority already since he’s entering the final year of his rookie deal and is arguably the NFL’s best wide receiver.

Johnson will have a tremendous amount of leverage in negotiations with the Lions. The 26-year-old can afford to be patient because he’s scheduled to make $18.5 million next season ($14 million base salary and $4.5 million roster bonus) and has earned over $40 million during his five NFL campaigns.

Because of his huge cap number, Johnson is one of the few players who would welcome the franchise tag if he plays out his contract. The Pro Bowl wideout’s franchise number in 2013 would be $25,298,335, which is 120% of his 2012 cap number. Franchise numbers are based off the salaries of the five highest paid players at a position or from 120% of the prior year’s salary of the player (usually his cap number), whichever is greater. Megatron’s franchise number is so astronomical that the Lions might be forced to let him become an unrestricted free agent after next season if they can’t agree on a new deal.

Johnson’s situation is reminiscent of the predicament the Arizona Cardinals faced with Pro Bowler Larry Fitzgerald’s rookie contract. Fitzgerald hitting his escalators had increased his 2008 and 2009 cap numbers to $16,485,834 and $19,248,334, respectively. The Cardinals had less than $500,000 worth of room under the cap when they re-negotiated his contract.

When the dust settled, Fitzgerald got a four-year, $40 million deal—with $30 million guaranteed and a franchise/transition tag prohibition—that put him at the top of the wide receiver market. His contract gave the Cardinals $9,489,020 of immediate cap relief and saved $8,500,712 on their 2009 cap.

The Lions will probably have to make Johnson the highest paid non-quarterback in NFL history for him to have incentive to give them significant cap relief, perhaps similar to what the Cardinals got from Fitzgerald. Fitz’s seven-year contract extension averaging $16.14 million per year ($45 million in guaranteed money) signed last August is the standard for such players. He gets $51.5 million during the first three new years of the deal.

Johnson—who will be 27 early next season—must decide whether he wants to follow the same approach Fitzgerald took with his first veteran contract by signing a short deal (three or four year extension) so he can have the opportunity to sign another lucrative contract after the NFL’s new television deals start in 2014, or take a longer deal that could be the last big contract of his career.

What’s even more appealing is that the wide receiver could be able to obtain the best of both worlds with the longer deal by borrowing a concept from Steven Jackson’s 2008 six-year contract with the St. Louis Rams. Jackson’s deal contains escalators for 2012 and 2013—the final two years of the contract—which raise his salary by $3 million per season with 4,800 rushing yards and 1,200 receiving yards during the first four years of the deal.

That trigger also gives both sides the option to void the final two years in lieu of the escalator. Johnson’s leverage should allow him to eliminate the team’s ability to void if he wants this type of structure.

Unless Johnson is willing to give the Lions some sort of home team discount, his new contract should have the highest average salary in the NFL outside of the blockbuster deal Drew Brees will likely sign with the Saints before next season. His contract will also have future ramifications for the Lions.

Tom Condon—Matthew Stafford’s agent—will insist that Johnson’s deal is Stafford’s floor when the time comes to start negotiating the quarterback’s next contract.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Megade...rce=twitterfeed