Official 2011-2012 NFL Thread

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Oct 17, 2011 -> 02:29 PM)
Tebow is nowhere near Steve Young like, not even close.

Well I think you're wrong.

Aside from them both being left handed, which is what triggered the initial thought in my mind, neither have good arm strength, both were mobile QBs who weren't particularly fast but had great vision, and both showed an incredible desire to win. The main differences, and they are big, are Young's ability to checkdown (which we really haven't seen from Tebow yet, but we really haven't seen Tebow yet) and their accuracy.

QBs who don't have good arm strength won't succeed in Fox's system, thus, Steve Young would not have succeeded in Fox's system. They quite obviously succeed in Chan Gailey's system, so, while he may not have been as good, he would still fit the Bills offensive system.

Like I mentioned, Young had years and years of tutelage under one of the greatest QBs of all time as well as an incredible quote. Tebow would have Ryan Fitzpatrick and Chan Gailey.

• Replies 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Either I really dont' understand Palmer's hype or NFL players are a lot smarter than me. Seems like a lot of NFL players think Palmer is an elite QB. Maybe Cinncy just made him look terrible. He's clearly a major upgrade over what they had, but he also hasn't played (supposedly he's in great shape though) and needs to learn the offense.

The price though was insane.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 18, 2011 -> 11:11 AM)
Possibly 2 1st rounders for Carson f***ing Palmer. Al Davis isn't dead, apparently.

I get the feeling if Davis was still alive he would have made the even worse decision to start Pryor. Maybe this is actually the less of the terrible decisions.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 18, 2011 -> 11:56 AM)
Either I really dont' understand Palmer's hype or NFL players are a lot smarter than me. Seems like a lot of NFL players think Palmer is an elite QB. Maybe Cinncy just made him look terrible. He's clearly a major upgrade over what they had, but he also hasn't played (supposedly he's in great shape though) and needs to learn the offense.

The price though was insane.

Nah, since he blew out his shoulder in 2008 he hasn't been the same player and has a fraction of the arm strength. He's Kyle Orton, now.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 18, 2011 -> 12:15 PM)
Nah, since he blew out his shoulder in 2008 he hasn't been the same player and has a fraction of the arm strength. He's Kyle Orton, now.

he blew out his shoulder too? all i remember is when he blew out his knee in the playoff game against the steelers, after he had his best season as a pro

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 18, 2011 -> 10:21 AM)
Well I think you're wrong.

Aside from them both being left handed, which is what triggered the initial thought in my mind, neither have good arm strength, both were mobile QBs who weren't particularly fast but had great vision, and both showed an incredible desire to win. The main differences, and they are big, are Young's ability to checkdown (which we really haven't seen from Tebow yet, but we really haven't seen Tebow yet) and their accuracy.

QBs who don't have good arm strength won't succeed in Fox's system, thus, Steve Young would not have succeeded in Fox's system. They quite obviously succeed in Chan Gailey's system, so, while he may not have been as good, he would still fit the Bills offensive system.

Like I mentioned, Young had years and years of tutelage under one of the greatest QBs of all time as well as an incredible quote. Tebow would have Ryan Fitzpatrick and Chan Gailey.

We'll just agree to disagree, Tebow sucks, IMO, like GoSox05 posted, he's a white Vince Young, another college star player who's talents don't translate well in the NFL.Comparing him to an NFL great is a stretch.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Oct 18, 2011 -> 01:27 PM)
Carson Palmer was literally one of the worst qb's in the nfl last year. It was torture to watch him play.

He did look a lot better once Owens and Johnson were out of the way. His last few games, his completion percentage, rating, yards per attempt all shot up, they won 3 games, he threw fewer INT's.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 18, 2011 -> 01:06 PM)
He did look a lot better once Owens and Johnson were out of the way. His last few games, his completion percentage, rating, yards per attempt all shot up, they won 3 games, he threw fewer INT's.

I don't even know what his stats were but I literally watched every one of his games last year(he was my fantasy qb for a majority of the year...ugh) and the amount of int's that db's dropped against him was kind of ridiculous. Palmer was HORRENDOUS last year, hot garbage.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Oct 18, 2011 -> 01:29 PM)
Its a huge overpay for Palmer.

this will be a definite backfire if they dont even make the playoffs

Teams in the AFC that are 4-2 or better....

New England Patriots 5-1

Baltimore Ravens 4-1

San Diego Chargers 4-1

Pittsburgh Steelers 4-2

Buffalo Bills 4-2

Oakland Raiders 4-2

Cincinnati Bengals 4-2

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 18, 2011 -> 01:21 PM)
Kevin Kolb received a 2nd round pick and Dominique Rogers-Cromartie as compensation.

Are you trying to compare the two? An up-and-coming hot 26-year old commodity vs a declining, retired 32 year old? The book isn't closed on Kolb yet, but that f***er is about 98% shut on old Palmer.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 18, 2011 -> 02:59 PM)
Are you trying to compare the two? An up-and-coming hot 26-year old commodity vs a declining, retired 32 year old? The book isn't closed on Kolb yet, but that f***er is about 98% shut on old Palmer.

Yes, I'm trying to compare the 2.

The hot up and coming commodity got a 2nd round pick and a nickel back.

The declining, retired 32 year old got a first round pick and a conditional additional first rounder.

What conclusion do you take from that?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 18, 2011 -> 02:02 PM)
Yes, I'm trying to compare the 2.

The hot up and coming commodity got a 2nd round pick and a nickel back.

The declining, retired 32 year old got a first round pick and a conditional additional first rounder.

What conclusion do you take from that?

I thought you were pointing out that the compensation was comparable and thus justified. I couldn't figure out your angle. I now think you are agreeing that it's an insane overpay.

If that is the case, then I commend you on your greatness.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 18, 2011 -> 03:04 PM)
I thought you were pointing out that the compensation was comparable and thus justified. I couldn't figure out your angle. I now think you are agreeing that it's an insane overpay.

If that is the case, then I commend you on your greatness.

Yes. Just pointing out how truly insane of an overpay that was.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 18, 2011 -> 12:07 PM)
Yes. Just pointing out how truly insane of an overpay that was.

I'd also say that Kolb doesn't look all that great either. I really was stunned. I thought Palmer would end up going for like a 3rd or 4th rounder.

I used to think the Bears needed to have Hanie come in and play 1-2 really good games so that they could trade him and load up on picks.

Now I'm convinced what they really need is to convince Cutler to retire, temporarily. Someone will empty out a decades worth of drafts for him based on that standard.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 18, 2011 -> 02:21 PM)
I'd also say that Kolb doesn't look all that great either. I really was stunned. I thought Palmer would end up going for like a 3rd or 4th rounder.

Kolb has been terrible so far. He forgets that he has Larry Fitzgerald on his team most of the time. Not even exaggerating but 80 percent of the time, he'll look to the complete opposite side of the field of Larry then realize nothing is developing, roll out of the pocket and throw the ball away. It's been dreadful to watch.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 18, 2011 -> 09:57 AM)
I think Forte is vastly overrated, but I think he's worth more than a 15-25 pick first rounder.

IDK if I am missing something or if this is referring to everybody wanting Forte to get his big contract but I can't think of 3 guys in the NFL who have done more with less like Forte.

Edited by Chi Town Sox

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Oct 18, 2011 -> 01:00 PM)
According to NFL Network's Jason LaCanfora, coach Leslie Frazier has notified Christian Ponder that he'll be starting over Donovan McNabb this week.

I think it's time for McNabb to call it a career.

Yup, sounds like it's time for McNabb it hang em up. I think he will always be a bit underrated, since he never won it all and played under the microscope in Philly. 5 NFC championship games is still impressive and I believe his recieving corps closely resembled what Cutler now has for the most part. When he did get TO, that was the one year they went to the Super Bowl.