Official 2011-2012 NFL Thread

Not many players start 40 games in college.

Cam Newton started 1 season, Tyron Smith (top ol taken) started 20 games, Solder/Pouncey both started 3 years.

Its pretty unusual to have a 4 year starter, especially at a school that has produced many quality lineman. Last year Bill Nagy (who didnt even start for Wisconsin) was drafted by the Cowboys and started for them this year until his injury.

• Replies 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Oct 25, 2011 -> 07:42 PM)
Not many players start 40 games in college.

Cam Newton started 1 season, Tyron Smith (top ol taken) started 20 games, Solder/Pouncey both started 3 years.

Its pretty unusual to have a 4 year starter, especially at a school that has produced many quality lineman. Last year Bill Nagy (who didnt even start for Wisconsin) was drafted by the Cowboys and started for them this year until his injury.

Not many O lineman start that many games, and the ones that do are usually high picks, Mike Brewster comes to mind.

http://www.csnchicago.com/blog/bears-talk/...tm_medium=email

unning back Matt Forte’s 145 rushing yards, 32-yard TD run and 38 receiving yards against Tampa Bay have landed him as one of three finalists for another FedEx Ground player of the week, an award Forte won after his 205 rushing yards against Carolina.

Fans can vote for players in Ground and Air categories on NFL.com/FedEx before 2 p.m. Friday.

Forte keeps “negotiating” in the best possible way, by performing at a true elite level, which makes his contract situation a little more head-shaking with just about every passing week. But not for reasons relating to the Bears’ reluctance to bump their already hefty offer up to the range that Fote and agent Adisa Bakari want, and with good reason.

But Peter King over at Sports Illustrated, in his always read-worthy “Monday Morning QB,” throws in an interesting observation about paying huge money to running backs.

The case study is Chris Johnson, given an enormous deal by the Tennessee Titans after holding out this preseason and camp. Johnson is on pace for a 715-yard rushing season, which Forte is approaching in just seven games (672 yards).

What too many Bears critics still don’t keep in clear sight as a bargaining reality is that the Bears hold the ace of trump here: the franchise tag. I’ve been noting this since early in training camp and it means that the Bears can tag him next year for a guaranteed salary equal to the average of the top five at his position, expected to be about $8 million. If that happens, Forte plays (unless he balks, which’d be another whole story) two years for $550,000 plus $8 million, or about $4.3 million. Assuming he stays healthy through this year.

Why are the Bears, who’ve had an offer on the table for months that’s worth more than the Kansas City Chiefs gave Jamaal Charles (subsequently lost for the season due to injury, by the way), expected to simply throw that away and pay Forte a multiple of that amount when they’re under no obligation or real pressure to do so?

As I’ve said before, this is not taking a side in the taffy pull. Forte and the Bears have a different $$ amount assigned to his services – that doesn’t make anyone wrong here. Nor does it get anything done necessarily, however.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 27, 2011 -> 08:30 AM)
BradBiggs Brad Biggs

#Bears have released veteran safety Chris Harris, per @vxmcclure23

I wish it was Brandon Meriweather instead.

Yep, it was only a matter of time

ChrisHarrisNFL Chris Harris

by espnchijon

I was just released this morning by the Bears. Thank u for the opp to play football n do what I luv. I'm looking toward my next venture

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 27, 2011 -> 04:48 PM)
hthill Hunter Hillenmeyer

Does Theo Epstein know anything about football players? Jerry Angelo obviously doesn't?

daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaammmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmn

Far from an Angelo guy but Hunter was a borderline below average LB. STFU

Harris was being pretty graceful about the whole thing and cracking jokes. He posted a clip from Friday on Facebook and said he felt like Craig because he got fired on his day off. Then he retweeted someone saying someone had video of Harris stealing boxes from Halas Hall. I asked if he was trying to build a clubhouse.

QUOTE (Brian @ Oct 27, 2011 -> 05:15 PM)
Far from an Angelo guy but Hunter was a borderline below average LB. STFU

Hunter was a key role player on our team and he knew his role, that being said we used to always hear how smart he was. Why blast him for saying what everyone here is saying, should everybody on sox talk stfu?

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Oct 27, 2011 -> 08:44 PM)
Hunter was a key role player on our team and he knew his role, that being said we used to always hear how smart he was. Why blast him for saying what everyone here is saying, should everybody on sox talk stfu?

Quite honestly, Hillenmeyer is right. Angelo is a bad GM and everyone knows it.