Official 2011-2012 NFL Thread

• Replies 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Packers loading up on late round draft picks. There will be no undrafted free agency this year. Packers have done pretty good with the guys the past few years. Tramon Williams, Sam Shields and Frank Zombo.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Apr 30, 2011 -> 04:00 PM)
Packers loading up on late round draft picks. There will be no undrafted free agency this year. Packers have done pretty good with the guys the past few years. Tramon Williams, Sam Shields and Frank Zombo.

There will be free agent signings, just not right away.

QUOTE (knightni @ Apr 30, 2011 -> 04:08 PM)
There will be free agent signings, just not right away.

It can't be until the lockout is resolved, which judging by the 8th Circuit's tendencies would not be lifted by them, which will force the groups to back to mediation. Then the players might appeal to the US Supreme Court, and by the time football starts, the UDFAs will not enough time to likely to learn playbooks and team will have enough raw guys with their rookies. Add in the UDFAs that will go the CFL/UFL, the pool of UDFAs that go to the NFL this year will be very very very limited.

Loved the Bears first two picks, hated the others. The team obviously still has more than its fair share of holes, and who knows when they'll get the chance to fill them with this blasted lockout. Going to be tough sledding next year with Green Bay, the Lions improved, and a much tougher schedule.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Apr 30, 2011 -> 03:15 PM)
WTF? A quarterback....really. Its not like this is a vet to back up Cutler either. A late round project qb when we already have Hanie who looks like he could could be a capable number 2. How do we only have 1 offensive lineman at this point, no wrs, no cbs... I love the first two picks dont get me wrong. Im willing to give the third rounder a shot before I complain, but this is just asinine.

Technically, the Bears don't "Have" Hanie. I believe under the old rules he's a restricted free agent.

The Boston University center that studies brain injuries to professional athletes says former NFL player Dave Duerson had the brain disease associated with repeated concussions when he committed suicide in February.

The Center for the Study of Traumatic Encephalopathy at the BU School of Medicine announced on Monday its findings on its examination of Duerson's brain, saying he suffered from chronic traumatic encephalopathy. At least 20 other deceased players have been found to have the disease.

Link

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ May 1, 2011 -> 05:28 AM)
Bears probably had a C+ draft. Started off great but from the 3rd round on none of it makes sense.

They need to sign aggressively once UDFA are available. Theres still alot of good talent out there.

I've finally realized how stupid it is to give teams draft grades. Mel Kiper says the Seahawks draft sucked, but they got 2 offensive lineman with their top 2 picks, went defense (or special teams) with 6 of their next 7, and then brought in a receiver to a group that is collectively pretty untalented. They'll do more in free agency when it rolls around too, but I don't see a lot wrong with that.

Then they talk about the Raiders too and how they overdrafted a few players. I understand that you want to maximize the value of your choices while getting the players you want, but isn't the most important part of that formula getting the players you want? Oh yeah, they also went 8-8 and lost games by scores of 24-23, 31-24, 17-9, 38-31, and 31-26. People make fun of them for drafting track stars, but it looks like it's sort of panning out.

There are teams that you see where you are just like "they seriously didn't do anything they needed," especially when it regards a general area rather than something specific (like a team has older linebackers and they're thin anyways and they completely ignore it...that's stupid). I don't mind it as much when a team passes on a QB too when they have a pretty big need there, like the Dolphins or Bills, especially when they have a suitable option and they didn't find the guy they had in mind at that spot. That's a pretty important position and if you mess it up, it is almost assuredly going to cost you your job as a coach. Why would you draft someone you weren't comfortable drafting?

It just bugs me that these analysts say "OH THEY DRAFTED THAT GUY 10 PICKS EARLIER THAN HE SHOULD HAVE" (exaggerating, but barely) when really it's a bit of crapshoot too. So many teams were chastised last year for passing on Jimmy Clausen, but those teams look pretty smart now, don't they? Teams were dumb for passing on Matt Leinart too. Teams were smart for passing on Chris Johnson and Jamaal Charles, but really, neither may be nearly as good in a different system. That's the main point that bugs me - these guys (generally) look at all of these players and teams in a vacuum and don't consider their actual preferences. This isn't a video game though, and you can't just plug and play these players and everything works out fine. Some will fit better in specific schemes than they will others, and that covers more than just a QB running an offense or a linebacker in a particular defense. Three different teams had Big Mike Williams and nobody got anything out of him, and then his old coach Pete Carroll comes in and he has a pretty damn good season. How about that?

Everything I've read about Stefen Wisniewski suggests that he is a mauling run blocker. The Raiders were thin on their offensive line, the focus of their offense is going to be to running the ball, and they used their top pick on someone to help them out specifically in that area. That seems smart, even if they did "draft him a round or two too early," doesn't it?

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 3, 2011 -> 08:52 AM)
It just bugs me that these analysts say "OH THEY DRAFTED THAT GUY 10 PICKS EARLIER THAN HE SHOULD HAVE" (exaggerating, but barely) when really it's a bit of crapshoot too. So many teams were chastised last year for passing on Jimmy Clausen, but those teams look pretty smart now, don't they? Teams were dumb for passing on Matt Leinart too. Teams were smart for passing on Chris Johnson and Jamaal Charles, but really, neither may be nearly as good in a different system. That's the main point that bugs me - these guys (generally) look at all of these players and teams in a vacuum and don't consider their actual preferences. This isn't a video game though, and you can't just plug and play these players and everything works out fine. Some will fit better in specific schemes than they will others, and that covers more than just a QB running an offense or a linebacker in a particular defense. Three different teams had Big Mike Williams and nobody got anything out of him, and then his old coach Pete Carroll comes in and he has a pretty damn good season. How about that?

Everything I've read about Stefen Wisniewski suggests that he is a mauling run blocker. The Raiders were thin on their offensive line, the focus of their offense is going to be to running the ball, and they used their top pick on someone to help them out specifically in that area. That seems smart, even if they did "draft him a round or two too early," doesn't it?

I've been saying this speech for a long time. Mel Kiper has given the bears great draft greats for most of the decade. We've drafted TERRIBLY.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 3, 2011 -> 03:52 AM)
I've finally realized how stupid it is to give teams draft grades. Mel Kiper says the Seahawks draft sucked, but they got 2 offensive lineman with their top 2 picks, went defense (or special teams) with 6 of their next 7, and then brought in a receiver to a group that is collectively pretty untalented. They'll do more in free agency when it rolls around too, but I don't see a lot wrong with that.

Then they talk about the Raiders too and how they overdrafted a few players. I understand that you want to maximize the value of your choices while getting the players you want, but isn't the most important part of that formula getting the players you want? Oh yeah, they also went 8-8 and lost games by scores of 24-23, 31-24, 17-9, 38-31, and 31-26. People make fun of them for drafting track stars, but it looks like it's sort of panning out.

There are teams that you see where you are just like "they seriously didn't do anything they needed," especially when it regards a general area rather than something specific (like a team has older linebackers and they're thin anyways and they completely ignore it...that's stupid). I don't mind it as much when a team passes on a QB too when they have a pretty big need there, like the Dolphins or Bills, especially when they have a suitable option and they didn't find the guy they had in mind at that spot. That's a pretty important position and if you mess it up, it is almost assuredly going to cost you your job as a coach. Why would you draft someone you weren't comfortable drafting?

eh, I wouldn't exactly say the Raiders drafting has been "panning out"

2003: 4-12

2004: 5-11

2005: 4-12

2006: 2-14

2007: 4-12

2008: 5-11

2009: 5-11

2010: 8-8

Using the Raiders for your argument might be the worst choice as they have been terrible over the last 8 years, even with their 8-8 record that was 6 division wins as well.. I don't think its smart to take players who more than likely would still be on the board a round or 2 later, but I am in agreement with you that you should take the player you want.. I mean s***, they took that Michael Moore guy or whatever in round 2 a few years ago and he was graded out as a 7th rounder..

I understand its easy to bash on Kiper and McShay but they literally spend all year scouting these kids, they know what they are talking about.. Grading drafts is dumb though, because it takes a few years to get a true grade on it.. but if McShay and Kiper have people graded out as 5-7 round talents and the Raiders keep taking these guys in rounds 2-3 that's prolly a telling reason why they had 10+ losses 7 years in a row..

The Seahawks for instance, passed on Carimi and Sherrod for a guy that might have been available in round 2-3.. But thats where you get into the personal preference for a player.. I guess that's what New England was doing? It made no sense to me for them to take a project lineman, then trade out of the first round to get a pick next year which they will prolly just trade again.. They really needed pass rushers, and instead of adding say Corey Luiget and Cameron Heyward they get Nate Solder and 2 runningbacks..

Honestly though, I think teams need to draft the best player available.. in the NFL and MLB, that's the best strategy you can take.. look at the Steelers and Ravens, they are consistently taking really good defensive players in the top rounds, and they always have insane defenses.. Of course, they also took Big Ben and Flacco but they waited for them and took them where they should have been going anyways.. Unless you are in dire need of a QB, BPA is usually the best way to go or else you are that team reaching for a player because of need and more times than not you aren't having a great draft when doing that.. The only exception really is teams picking late in the draft, like the Colts, who can just take the best lineman left on the board and be fine with it because they have Manning..

Miami did that this year, although they didn't actually reach on any picks, all their picks where need picks who are going to help right away.. and I can give them a pass their because the coaching staff and GM are "playing" for their jobs next season so to speak..

QUOTE (T R U @ May 4, 2011 -> 03:08 AM)
Honestly though, I think teams need to draft the best player available.. in the NFL and MLB, that's the best strategy you can take.. look at the Steelers and Ravens, they are consistently taking really good defensive players in the top rounds, and they always have insane defenses..

Of course, take away James Harrison (an undrafted FA) and Ray Lewis (top of the first round) from those defenses and what are they?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 4, 2011 -> 07:39 AM)
Of course, take away James Harrison (an undrafted FA) and Ray Lewis (top of the first round) from those defenses and what are they?

they would still be really good even without those guys

Yea but if you look at the Bears we have obvious flaws, namely the offensive line and receivers. The fact that we have to take a damn safety every year in the first 3 rounds of the draft is just kind of annoying, there are other positions we need help at.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ May 5, 2011 -> 07:51 AM)
Yea but if you look at the Bears we have obvious flaws, namely the offensive line and receivers. The fact that we have to take a damn safety every year in the first 3 rounds of the draft is just kind of annoying, there are other positions we need help at.

I understand what you are saying but the Bears have taken a WR a few times in the 2nd round and they have busted.

Six NFL agents told Pro Football Weekly that teams contacted them in regard to their clients who weren't drafted. The agents spoke to the publication on the condition of anonymity.

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello told Pro Football Weekly that such contact between teams and agents for undrafted players during the lockout would be considered tampering.

With the NFL in a lockout, teams also are not allowed to talk with their players or drafted rookies.

In years past, the days after the NFL draft are akin to a feeding frenzy with teams signing multiple undrafted rookies.

"It was almost like a normal year in terms of contact, a little less [phone contact] than normal maybe, only without the signed contracts at the end," one of the agents told Pro Football Weekly.

Three of the agents told Pro Football Weekly that some team representatives contacted them from personal cell phones so the records would be harder to trace if the NFL decides to audit teams' phone records in any tampering investigation. Two of the agents said their clients were contacted directly by teams.

Link

Twin Cities Suburb May Lure Vikings

Officials in a Twin Cities suburb say they have reached agreement with the Minnesota Vikings to lure the NFL team away from their longtime home in Minneapolis.

Ramsey County officials say they will be the team's partner on a proposed retractable-roof stadium in Arden Hills, about 10 miles from the Metrodome in downtown Minneapolis.

The site of the stadium would be the former Twin Cities Army Ammunitions Plant property. The agreement calls for an $884 million stadium and an additional $173 million for site infrastructure, parking and environmental costs.