Official 2011-2012 NFL Thread

• Replies 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 30, 2011 -> 07:14 PM)
i hope the bears are watching the cowboys and taking notes on how not to defend the eagles. good lord

I think they are trying to put too much pressure on them and just getting beaten badly by the Eagles' speed. The Bears will try to contain them a lot more and force field goals and stalled drives by tackling and just hoping they make mistakes. Probably not too different than the recipe last year.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Oct 30, 2011 -> 06:36 PM)
He plays quarterback though. Just because people suspect he might be better used differently doesnt change the fact that he is a starting qb in the NFL, which he is awful at.

I can agree with that. If he keeps playing like this the next few weeks, the Broncos will have to make a switch. He can be an NFLer, but yes, as a QB he is absolutely horrendous.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 30, 2011 -> 10:07 PM)
I can agree with that. If he keeps playing like this the next few weeks, the Broncos will have to make a switch. He can be an NFLer, but yes, as a QB he is absolutely horrendous.

I don't think he can make it anywhere. He's not some super athlete. He's super athletic for a QB.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Oct 30, 2011 -> 10:41 PM)
I don't think he can make it anywhere. He's not some super athlete. He's super athletic for a QB.

He can run the wildcat formation, be the backup QB I think. With enough experience and what he brings to table he should be fine in that role.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Oct 30, 2011 -> 10:26 PM)
He can run the wildcat formation, be the backup QB I think. With enough experience and what he brings to table he should be fine in that role.

I think he could be a pretty solid TE...

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Oct 30, 2011 -> 11:55 PM)
I mean I guess there is a chance but I have no idea if he can catch the ball or block anyone.

Exactly. There is definitely the off chance he can play tight end, but he has done nothing to make us think its plausible. I think people discredit all the tools it takes to be a tight end in the NFL, its one of the most dynamic positions there is.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Oct 30, 2011 -> 11:53 PM)
Tebow is all hype, like so many other college star QBs that amount to crap in the NFL, they'll be lots more after him.

BTW, whatever happened to sure thing Matt Leinart?

He sure looked good against the Bears, I'm positive if he went out a year earlier and was the first overall or top5 pick he prob be starting in league now or at least had significant starting time.

QUOTE (Brian @ Oct 31, 2011 -> 01:01 PM)
Wonder how the media would treat Romo if he was the QB in Jacksonville his whole career or a smaller market.

Nature of the beast really.

But I think right now, his career as a Cowboy is at it's most tenuous point right now.

I think Jerry Jones is going to try and trade up for Andrew Luck in the draft if the Cowboys don't finish above .500. Because right now, the defense has actually been pretty good (besides tonight), and the running game is improving with DeMarco Murray. It's the passing game which has been the weakness, which you wouldn't have thought at all coming into this season.

Now a lot of that boils down to protection (especially in the interior), but I think if Jerry has a chance for trade up for Luck, he's going to do it, well because he's Jerry Jones.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Oct 31, 2011 -> 12:22 AM)
He sure looked good against the Bears, I'm positive if he went out a year earlier and was the first overall or top5 pick he prob be starting in league now or at least had significant starting time.

Year before:

Lions - Stafford. Tebow doesn't get picked.

Rams - Jason Smith. Didn't take Sanchez, no Tebow.

Kansas City Chiefs - Tyron Jackson. Had Cassel. No Tebow.

Seattle Seahawks - Aaron Curry. Had Hasselback comign back from injuries. No Sanchez.

New York Jets - Sanchez. You can argue this one, but NY loved Sanchez, who knows on Tebow.

He would have floundered in NY and as a starter, he's been nothing other than overrated.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Oct 31, 2011 -> 03:48 AM)
Year before:

Lions - Stafford. Tebow doesn't get picked.

Rams - Jason Smith. Didn't take Sanchez, no Tebow.

Kansas City Chiefs - Tyron Jackson. Had Cassel. No Tebow.

Seattle Seahawks - Aaron Curry. Had Hasselback comign back from injuries. No Sanchez.

New York Jets - Sanchez. You can argue this one, but NY loved Sanchez, who knows on Tebow.

He would have floundered in NY and as a starter, he's been nothing other than overrated.

I'm pretty sure he was talking about Leinart.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Oct 31, 2011 -> 02:41 AM)
Nature of the beast really.

But I think right now, his career as a Cowboy is at it's most tenuous point right now.

I think Jerry Jones is going to try and trade up for Andrew Luck in the draft if the Cowboys don't finish above .500. Because right now, the defense has actually been pretty good (besides tonight), and the running game is improving with DeMarco Murray. It's the passing game which has been the weakness, which you wouldn't have thought at all coming into this season.

Now a lot of that boils down to protection (especially in the interior), but I think if Jerry has a chance for trade up for Luck, he's going to do it, well because he's Jerry Jones.

I can't see anyone trading Luck. Even if Indy were to get him, they keep him.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 31, 2011 -> 07:41 AM)

It would be a tough pill to swallow for St Louis after all of the money they threw at Sam Bradford.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 31, 2011 -> 08:41 AM)

If the Colts get that pick, I think they'd seriously consider moving him. The price would be high, but someone would probably pay it. Like "2 firsts, 2 2nds, 2 3rds" high...but if you've got Manning, and the medics tell you he will be back next year and he has 5 more years in his career...I'd do that trade. Andrew Luck is not going to be an asset sitting on the bench for 4 years.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 31, 2011 -> 07:53 AM)
If the Colts get that pick, I think they'd seriously consider moving him. The price would be high, but someone would probably pay it. Like "2 firsts, 2 2nds, 2 3rds" high...but if you've got Manning, and the medics tell you he will be back next year and he has 5 more years in his career...I'd do that trade. Andrew Luck is not going to be an asset sitting on the bench for 4 years.

Rodgers sat for 3, and I think we all can see that he probably could have come in sooner and played competently, if not very well.

Peyton Mannings injury really isnt something a doctor can put a timetable on, especially with spinal stenosis in his family with Cooper. My dad had the exact same surgery as Manning and shortly thereafter developed stenosis, and there really isnt anything you can do about it. Sometimes your body just does weird things. I think if the Colts manage the 1st round pick, they take Luck and hope they can squeeze a few years out of Peyton with Luck learning from him. And if Peyton cannot go, then Luck is there and you dont have to watch Painter and Collins flounder around a few more years.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 31, 2011 -> 07:49 AM)
It would be a tough pill to swallow for St Louis after all of the money they threw at Sam Bradford.

I could actually see them trading Bradford. You get Luck then, and a s***load of other picks and/or players.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 31, 2011 -> 08:59 AM)
Rodgers sat for 3, and I think we all can see that he probably could have come in sooner and played competently, if not very well.

Peyton Mannings injury really isnt something a doctor can put a timetable on, especially with spinal stenosis in his family with Cooper. My dad had the exact same surgery as Manning and shortly thereafter developed stenosis, and there really isnt anything you can do about it. Sometimes your body just does weird things. I think if the Colts manage the 1st round pick, they take Luck and hope they can squeeze a few years out of Peyton with Luck learning from him. And if Peyton cannot go, then Luck is there and you dont have to watch Painter and Collins flounder around a few more years.

Rogers was a mid-20's pick who a lot of people thought had serious mechanical issues coming out of college. Having Rogers start right away was an invitation to turning him into Alex Smith. Having Luck sit for 3 years is a complete waste...he ought to be starting by day 1 in the league.