Official 2011-2012 NFL Thread

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 17, 2011 -> 01:06 PM)
Guys I'd take ahead of him for sure:

Mike McCarthy

Bill Belichick

Mike Tomlin

Sean Payton

Rex Ryan

Jim Harbaugh

So, probably in the 10-14 range, i.e., average.

I could agree with this. Honestly, alot of people could also point to MVP-caliber players making coaches look very good. I'm not sure Sean Payton is a hero without Drew Brees.

I'd like to see your perspective on how you would rank Bears ownership against your list. I would have them dead last.

• Replies 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 17, 2011 -> 02:03 PM)
Great posts.

The Niners aren't flashy...but they're very solid. They're very 2005 Bears-ish...

I meniotned previously I watch all their games as well as Bear games, and they aren't just 2005 Bears-ish, they win exactly the same way the Bears do now. They rely on defense first, they have above average special teams with probably the best returner besides Hester in Ginn, and they have the one of the best takeaway/turnover ratios, and best average starting field position to oppenents starting.....that is all very similar to the Bears......

QUOTE (HeGone33 @ Nov 17, 2011 -> 02:32 PM)
I meniotned previously I watch all their games as well as Bear games, and they aren't just 2005 Bears-ish, they win exactly the same way the Bears do now. They rely on defense first, they have above average special teams with probably the best returner besides Hester in Ginn, and they have the one of the best takeaway/turnover ratios, and best average starting field position to oppenents starting.....that is all very similar to the Bears......

And their coach gets in silly fights with the Lions! There ya go! :D

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 17, 2011 -> 01:06 PM)
Guys I'd take ahead of him for sure:

Mike McCarthy

Bill Belichick

Mike Tomlin

Sean Payton

Rex Ryan

Jim Harbaugh

Mike Smith

John Harbaugh

Tom Coughlin

Maybes (but probably not):

Ken Whisenhunt

Jim Schwartz

Mike Munchak

So, probably in the 10-14 range, i.e., average.

Your list became a joke the moment you mentioned Rex Ryan.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Nov 17, 2011 -> 02:45 PM)
I forgot about the Philip Rivers and Jay Cutler love fest. Should be interresting to see if they say anything to each other.

They have been pretty quiet about it and dismissive in interviews. I bet they talk to each other pre game and Fox gets a shot of it and there is a lot of innuendo and nonsense made of it by the broadcasters

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 17, 2011 -> 02:50 PM)
Taking a 4-12 and 9-7 team to two straight AFC championship games in his first two years (with Sanchez) isn't very impressive, I agree.

The defense was largely in place... notice they improved the year before by 5 games despite having Favre with a busted arm as their QB. So I guess Rex gets all the credit for "his" defense, but Lovie doesn't for "his". Brilliant.

QUOTE (HeGone33 @ Nov 17, 2011 -> 02:51 PM)
It's funny how when that happened everyone said that Harbaugh was the idiot, now everyone is starting to see Shwartz for what he is.........

I never thought Harbaugh was the idiot, It was plainly obvious that Schwartz was being a b****. Im just giving you a hard time. The Lions were a nice story, then they puffed their chests and the 49ers smacked them, then the Bears smacked them down. I would not be surprised at all if they pull a late season swoon considering they still have the Packers to play twice as well as the Saints. The Chargers, Vikings and Oakland could give them fits too, all of those teams have good running games

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 17, 2011 -> 02:50 PM)
Taking a 4-12 and 9-7 team to two straight AFC championship games in his first two years (with Sanchez) isn't very impressive, I agree.

Man, the more I look at stats the more ridiculous you seem. Lovie inherited a team that had won 11 total games in the two years prior to his taking over... in 121 games since Lovie became head coach, he has a 57% winning percentage, a Super Bowl appearance, and an NFC Championship Game appearance.

Rex inherited an above-.500 team and has a 61% winning percentage.

And what's this (with Sanchez) bulls***? Doesn't Lovie get a (with Sexy Rexy, with Brian Griese, with Kyle Orton caveats).

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 17, 2011 -> 02:26 PM)
I could agree with this. Honestly, alot of people could also point to MVP-caliber players making coaches look very good. I'm not sure Sean Payton is a hero without Drew Brees.

I'd like to see your perspective on how you would rank Bears ownership against your list. I would have them dead last.

Eh, I can't put them dead last, but they certainly should be spending more money and making changes more frequently. Angelo and his team should have been fired long ago.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Nov 17, 2011 -> 01:21 PM)
Rex Ryan

Jim Harbaugh

Mike Smith

John Harbaugh

I really don't know how these guys are so far ahead of Lovie Smith. They may be equal, but not better by a far margin.

I think John Harbaugh and Mike Smith are way overrated.

Rex Ryan and Mike Smith are overrated in my opinion.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 17, 2011 -> 03:05 PM)
Eh, I can't put them dead last, but they certainly should be spending more money and making changes more frequently. Angelo and his team should have been fired long ago.

spending more money doesnt make these situations better. Spending it smartly does. Angelo has treated the OL and WR core like a red headed stepchild but it is hard to argue against his spending elsewhere

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Nov 17, 2011 -> 03:10 PM)
Rex Ryan and Mike Smith are overrated in my opinion.

Back to Back AFC title games with a very average QB is pretty good. I do think he has more bark than bite, but not overrated yet.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 17, 2011 -> 03:05 PM)
Man, the more I look at stats the more ridiculous you seem. Lovie inherited a team that had won 11 total games in the two years prior to his taking over... in 121 games since Lovie became head coach, he has a 57% winning percentage, a Super Bowl appearance, and an NFC Championship Game appearance.

Rex inherited an above-.500 team and has a 61% winning percentage.

And what's this (with Sanchez) bulls***? Doesn't Lovie get a (with Sexy Rexy, with Brian Griese, with Kyle Orton caveats).

Please. Rex inherited a team that won 13 total games the two year prior. What a huge difference.

Edit: Did my math wrong. 61% is right.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 17, 2011 -> 03:26 PM)

Honestly... I don't know why fans of sports teams complain about ownership as if there was anything that could be done about it. If a fan has a problem with the team's owner, they might as well find a new team. It's not like the owner is going to sell the team just because you don't like them. Think about it: the Bears owner is Virginia McCaskey for the past 30 years (she and her husband before he died). She is the daughter of the guy who founded the franchise in 1921. 90 f***ing years ago. The McCaskeys aren't going anywhere, when Virginia dies then Mike or George is taking over. If you're a Bears fan you just have to suck it up.

A legitimate gripe was had with Wirtz, but... he had to die before a change happened there. Otherwise the Blackhawks would still be a laughingstock.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 17, 2011 -> 01:33 PM)
I'm not saying it's ALL luck. I'm saying he gets lucky. I'm saying his record doesn't reflect how good his teams are. I remember those stretches early in his tenure when the defense and special teams would outscore the offense. That's not coaching, that's abnormal. Yes, I give him credit for bringing in a turnover/good defense mindset and for the defensive scheme that has clearly worked. But to me that's mostly negated by the bonehead time outs (yes, we can say that's more on Martz and the 12 year old looking qb coach, but after one game of that s*** i'd have everyone in my office getting the problem fixed, not letting it continue for 7-8 weeks into the f'n season), his refusal to make adjustments despite being outplayed (and outcoached) (who remembers that Sunday night game against the Giants last season when he refused to do ANYTHING different or at least tell Martz to try anything different. That is the s*** I cannot stand with him), the challenge issue as you mentioned, etc. I'm considering all of his work and still think he's just average. He's nowhere near "excellent" and to me not "good."

Does anyone here truly believe that last year they had any business in the NFC championship game? Seriously. Were they that good? To me (and everyone I know who follows them) they were an average team that lucked into that game. I really don't understand how people can dispute that. People use that as a "oh! 2 NFC championship games, must be a great coach." People were screaming for him and Angelo to be fired after the 2009 season. All that s*** got forgotten real quick once he took an average team to the NFC championship game, which IMO, was a fluke.

The Bears beat who they needed to beat to get to the NFC championship game, that ain't luck, if Cutler had a decent game and not gotten hurt, the Bears would've had a great shot at winning that game, we didn't get blown out if you recall.He's big mistake was not going with Hanie after Cutler got hurt.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 17, 2011 -> 03:11 PM)
spending more money doesnt make these situations better. Spending it smartly does. Angelo has treated the OL and WR core like a red headed stepchild but it is hard to argue against his spending elsewhere

There's no good reason the Bears couldn't have spent more money to lure a big FA QB at some point over the last 5 decades. Same with the WR position.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 17, 2011 -> 03:20 PM)
There's no good reason the Bears couldn't have spent more money to lure a big FA QB at some point over the last 5 decades. Same with the WR position.

5 decades? Are we talking about your beef with the Angelo/Lovie regime or with the Organization? Because your argument is splintering to another direction now