Official 2011-2012 NFL Thread

I don't even know how to respond to that. The line isn't better at all, huh? Did you see the long throws cutler had when he had multiple seconds to throw long? Those didn't happen earlier. Our defense isn't much better at all compared to the beginning of the season? These are just stupid observations. They deserve to be called out as stupid. Stats will not back you up.

• Replies 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (chw42 @ Nov 20, 2011 -> 06:35 PM)
f*** the Soldier Field turf...

Knox probably wouldn't have slipped if the turf didn't suck so bad.

The field is in good shape right now. Knox slipped because he isn't a good route runner. The announcers were talking about it. He came out of his route wrong and fell as a result of it.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 21, 2011 -> 09:51 AM)
I have never once been confident in a Bears team until the last few weeks.

Even the Super Bowl year no one actually thought the Bears would do anything. We kept waiting to be disappointed. This year, these past few weeks, the team looked focking amazing in most every aspect of the game, and the coaches were making all the right decisions.

That team had one of the best non super bowl winning defenses in recent memory, Hester at his best beast mode/amazing ST, a hellova O-Line, and one of the more underrated RBs in the game in Thomas Jones. (Benson was a good compliment to him) The only question mark the media/other fans had was at the QB position, and even then most thought the Bears had a Ravens-like chance with that defense. (that's how good they were) That was their highest points for/against ratio in recent memory (+132) as well. Even last year, with that pathetic O-Line, they had a stretch where they went 5-0 after their bye week (same record as this year from their bye in fact) and going 7-2 overall after the bye. People tend to forget last year the Bears only lost by a TD to the eventual champion Packers in the NFC game and that was with Cutler gone for most of it. With all that said though, I still feel that 05 Bears team (year before the SB year) was one of the best I remember. That was when the defense was even more great (202 total points allowed... :o) Urlacher was the DPOY that season, and Kyle Orton was a rookie starting. (Grossman destroyed his ankle in week 2) That team's highest points allowed in a game given up that year was 34 and that was the last game of the season when they rested everyone. That was statistically Jones' best season as well. The SB year still irks me in the way that man was used even after Benson got injured (had 112 yards rushing, 7.5 YPC and only 15 running plays called total in the game) along with other things that I didn't quite get in that game, but I digress.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 21, 2011 -> 10:13 AM)
I don't even know how to respond to that. The line isn't better at all, huh? Did you see the long throws cutler had when he had multiple seconds to throw long? Those didn't happen earlier. Our defense isn't much better at all compared to the beginning of the season? These are just stupid observations. They deserve to be called out as stupid. Stats will not back you up.

The line and the defense is better overall, but not much IMO. It's not a stupid observation, look at how much he still gets out of the pocket and avoids sacks in many different ways. These are things he didn't do as much early on.

And the defense, they've had some better games no doubt, but then go out and give up 330 yesterday.....

I don't really have to defend these statements, the coming weeks will prove my point.......enjoy that O line with Hanie back there.

The bears D giving up a lot of yards has been a staple for years. They haven't given up a sack in like 3 games after giving up 29 or however many in the first 5. That's no because jay cutler is just avoiding them. It's because lance louis has been amazing.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Nov 21, 2011 -> 07:44 AM)
lol. Dramatic much? They weren't going to beat the Packers anyway.

I don't know if I could say that. This team was playing as good as any team in the league. It has its flaws but it was playing at a high-level of football. When healthy and with Jay playing like he has been, this is the best Bears team I've ever seen (or at least right there with the most recent super-bowl team before Tommie got hurt).

QUOTE (HeGone33 @ Nov 21, 2011 -> 10:25 AM)
The line and the defense is better overall, but not much IMO. It's not a stupid observation, look at how much he still gets out of the pocket and avoids sacks in many different ways. These are things he didn't do as much early on.

And the defense, they've had some better games no doubt, but then go out and give up 330 yesterday.....

I don't really have to defend these statements, the coming weeks will prove my point.......enjoy that O line with Hanie back there.

I will say your right to an extent that Martz has called more rollout plays for Cutler to help buy his WRs some time with his mobility and bmags is right to an extent that the O-Line has done a much better job blocking in the pocket even when Cutler was in motion early on. I'm not even worried about the O-Line with Hanie back there as he is even faster with mobility in/out of the pocket. What worries me is if he can avoid the mistakes, understand the reads, not hold on to the ball forever (part of his problem in the playoff game last year) and if his arm is strong enough for deep plays. He'll have to play better than 05' Orton as this defense/ST isn't quite up to par with that 05 Bears one.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (HeGone33 @ Nov 21, 2011 -> 08:25 AM)

The line is significantly better. Not to mention the reason we lost that game wasn't just the line, it was our safeties. We gave up 2 huge plays in that game and if we don't give them up (which in a typical cover 2 you don't), we are in that game. The Bears are better than the Saints (with Cutler healthy).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 21, 2011 -> 10:30 AM)
I don't know if I could say that. This team was playing as good as any team in the league. It has its flaws but it was playing at a high-level of football. When healthy and with Jay playing like he has been, this is the best Bears team I've ever seen (or at least right there with the most recent super-bowl team before Tommie got hurt).

Not so much, there is a team who has won 8 straight and has played better than CHI on both sides of the ball......

No s*** Jay Cutler avoids sacks and the playcalling is helping the line. These are things that are SUPPOSED to happen that wasn't happening before, because Mike Martz was calling plays as if Cutler was Warner and he had Orlando Pace playing left tackle and not Omiyale or Webb.

Do people really think that Jay Cutler got sacked 11 times in 2008 because his line was THAT good that he had 6 second pockets on 75% of his dropbacks or something?

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 21, 2011 -> 10:32 AM)
The line is significantly better. Not to mention the reason we lost that game wasn't just the line, it was our safeties. We gave up 2 huge plays in that game and if we don't give them up (which in a typical cover 2 you don't), we are in that game. The Bears are better than the Saints (with Cutler healthy).

Well, Cutler was healthy when they played em earlier this year and they lost.......so that's a pretty weak arguement.

The Lions offense came back to life yesterday, so they are better than the Bears now? Silly logic...

QUOTE (HeGone33 @ Nov 21, 2011 -> 10:34 AM)
Not so much, there is a team who has won 8 straight and has played better than CHI on both sides of the ball......

ok, thats enough trolling. we know the 9ers are good, but you arent doing anything but trying to start a fight now

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 21, 2011 -> 10:37 AM)
ok, thats enough trolling. we know the 9ers are good, but you arent doing anything but trying to start a fight now

This is the NFL thread right? Where does it say Bears thread? I watch all Bear games and 49er games so why can't I have an opinion? My opinion unlike most isn't really that bias. You aren't going to hear my say the 49ers will beat the Pack, or go to the superbowl.....I'm a realist...but when you say the Bears are playing as good as anyone, I'm sorry, I beg to differ

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 21, 2011 -> 10:43 AM)
Lots of teams seem to "come back to life" against the Panthers D. The panthers scored a ton of points on that vaunted Lions D, 2 games in a row of 35+ pts against.

The Packers are gonna put 40 on them Thursday. We owe them one.

QUOTE (HeGone33 @ Nov 21, 2011 -> 10:41 AM)
This is the NFL thread right? Where does it say Bears thread? I watch all Bear games and 49er games so why can't I have an opinion? My opinion unlike most isn't really that bias. You aren't going to hear my say the 49ers will beat the Pack, or go to the superbowl.....I'm a realist...but when you say the Bears are playing as good as anyone, I'm sorry, I beg to differ

gmab, you are going out of your way to try and get people to argue with you that the 49ers are the second best team in the league. i dont see anyone questioning that

QUOTE (HeGone33 @ Nov 21, 2011 -> 10:41 AM)

Troll to English translation: I'm just saying things I know will piss people off for a reaction.

Wow, life long White Sox fan here. Have loved this site since 2004, thought people here were more knowledgeable and accepting of opinions.

Maybe I should have realized that just because the Bears have won a few games, they are better than a team they couldn't beat earlier this year. There's no argumentt at all in that statement. Next time, I'll just take the guys word for it.

I still love how I'm a troll in an NFL thread, that's the best one....

http://espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/story/_/id/...fractured-thumb

Chicago Bears quarterback Jay Cutler will undergo surgery on the thumb on his throwing hand after breaking it during Sunday's 31-20 victory over the San Diego Chargers.

The team initially said the surgery would take place Tuesday but quickly changed that statement to say a date hasn't been set.

Cutler injured the right thumb while trying to make a tackle on Antoine Cason, who intercepted a pass with just less than 10 minutes remaining in the fourth quarter. Cutler continued to play after the injury, completing his final two passes for 24 yards in the team's final drive.

The Bears also announced that long snapper Patrick Mannelly ruptured the anterior cruciate ligament in his knee and is out for the year.

Bears coach Lovie Smith, who is scheduled to address the media at 1 p.m. ET, wouldn't speculate on how long Cutler will be out while speaking to WBBM Radio on Monday morning. Sources said that he will likely miss the final six regular-season games, but the team is expressing hope that he can return before that.

"I'm not going to play doctor right now," Smith said when asked how long Cutler will be sidelined. "We're going through the process. We will be able to tell you a little bit more. That's all we can tell you right now. That's all we know right now."

With Cutler out, the attention turns to backup Caleb Hanie, who will take over as the starter. A four-year veteran, Hanie played in two games in 2010, completing 8 of 14 passes for 66 yards and an interception.

Hanie also filled in for Cutler in the NFC title game, and hit 13-of-20 for 153 yards a touchdown and two interceptions in a loss to the Green Bay Packers.

"(I expect) the same play from our quarterback position," Smith said. "Caleb has played a lot for us around here. We feel comfortable with him being our quarterback. It's always next guy up. We've had injuries at other positions, and that's what it will be.

"We're a good football team, and we still plan on winning"

The Bears have won five games in a row to improve to 7-3. It's possible Cutler could rejoin the team in time for the playoffs.

Smith said the Bears' strategy won't change.

"Running game, play from our quarterback position, outstanding defensive play, special teams," he said. "We've been in this situation before. So again, it's unfortunate, we don't know exactly how long Jay will be out, but while he's out the ship will keep moving."

Rookie Nathan Enderle is the Bears' only other healthy quarterback, so there's a good chance the Bears plan on making an acquisition. It's expected the Bears would consider quarterbacks with experience playing in the system of offensive coordinator Mike Martz.

Former Jaguars quarterback David Garrard -- with no experience in Martz's system -- seemed like a logical option, but he's just starting rehabilitation from back surgery and won't be able to undergo any contact for at least three weeks, according to a source.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 21, 2011 -> 10:46 AM)
gmab, you are going out of your way to try and get people to argue with you that the 49ers are the second best team in the league. i dont see anyone questioning that

Well, when someone says the Bears or the Saints are the only teams that could take the Pack down, that would imply those teams were 2nd best.

QUOTE (HeGone33 @ Nov 21, 2011 -> 08:35 AM)
Well, Cutler was healthy when they played em earlier this year and they lost.......so that's a pretty weak arguement.

The Lions offense came back to life yesterday, so they are better than the Bears now? Silly logic...

As if they are the same team. Give me a break. Football teams evolve and the Bears have evolved and have been playing a very high level of football.