Official 2011-2012 NFL Thread

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 22, 2011 -> 01:29 PM)
Belichick has built the system around them. Yes, they are talented and athletic, but they aren't the greatest TEs in football, and Gronkowski physically is no better than Greg Olsen. It's the system. Belichick has decided he wants to make a showcase of his TE's and that is what is happening. He decided years ago he wanted Brady to set the TD record, and it happened as well.

I credit it all to Belichick, not some new wave, "oh my god the Pats somehow have the two best TE's in the game", theory.

At no point did I say either of those things.

• Replies 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Compared to the last few years as well, Brady doesn't have the kind of WR dominance he had with Moss on the outside, and he hasn't had his previous checkdown target (Faulk) for quite a while, he hasn't had the running game he had backing him when they were winning titles, and he hasn't had the defense he had when they were winning titles (so Brady must put points up). So there is a lot of difference there.

But yeah, they're still quite good, and I think Gronkowski is a couple steps above Olsen.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 22, 2011 -> 01:42 PM)
Compared to the last few years as well, Brady doesn't have the kind of WR dominance he had with Moss on the outside, and he hasn't had his previous checkdown target (Faulk) for quite a while, he hasn't had the running game he had backing him when they were winning titles, and he hasn't had the defense he had when they were winning titles (so Brady must put points up). So there is a lot of difference there.

But yeah, they're still quite good, and I think Gronkowski is a couple steps above Olsen.

he still has Welker, who is either 1 or 2 in receptions this season. And Branch is no slouch either. i will give you faulk and the lack of a running game, but Brady has 4 pretty damn good recievers to throw to

Bellichick is just taking advantage of undervalued assets in the marketplace to maximize his resources...he's smart enough to understand how to incorporate them into his systems to achieve success. Obviously, much of this revolves around having one of the best qb's in history, but that's all he's doing.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 22, 2011 -> 04:02 PM)
Bellichick is just taking advantage of undervalued assets in the marketplace to maximize his resources...he's smart enough to understand how to incorporate them into his systems to achieve success. Obviously, much of this revolves around having one of the best qb's in history, but that's all he's doing.

MONEYBALL

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 22, 2011 -> 04:04 PM)
Does the AFC get first dibs on him, like in baseball?

I don't believe so, it just goes by record, worst to first. Since the Bears have such a tough strength of schedule, I believe they are 30th in the waiver order, only ahead of GB & SF. I think they have the best SOS of all the 7-3 teams, which sucks for them.