Official 2011-2012 NFL Thread

• Replies 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 22, 2011 -> 04:00 PM)
The day this team starts making moves based on what meatballs will or won't say is the day I swear off of NFL football.

I think Denver kinda did that with Tebow. Yes the Broncos under Orton were not good, but there was SO much pressure to start Tebow.

Do this now, Jerry.

In one sense, I'd almost take Orton over Hanie right now. His experience probably trumps Hanie's knowledge of the Martz offense, given that Caleb's only thrown 14 NFL passes. Hanie deserves the chance to start, but it can't hurt to have another veteran back-up, and Orton's far and away the best option available.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Nov 22, 2011 -> 03:58 PM)
oh... you have too much faith in meatball nation.

For the record: i would welcome Orton back as the temp starter until Cutler is back. While not great, he's better than Haine.

I think this season has ended that argument in meatball nation they are now back into the Bears are cheap because they will not give Forte Chris Johnson money.

I think this move would be huge as it does give them security if Hanie fails

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Nov 22, 2011 -> 04:06 PM)
Its not Angelo's choice, many other teams have a shot at Orton first. There is even a chance a team like Detroit claims him just to deny the Bears the opportunity.

How does the NFL waiver thing work? If it's anything like MLB's, the Bears get to pick before Detroit does.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Nov 22, 2011 -> 04:06 PM)
Its not Angelo's choice, many other teams have a shot at Orton first. There is even a chance a team like Detroit claims him just to deny the Bears the opportunity.

Boers and Bernstein have been talking about this. They have the RIGHT to claim him, but Orton could make it known that he'll refuse to show up to practice for any team other than the Bears. There's no doubt in my mind that Orton wants to be here, the timing is too perfect.

Im not sure how the NFL rules work, somewhere I read it depends on SOS and other things, so I wasnt sure if Detroit could claim first. Thats why I said "a team like Detroit) because Im not sure the waiver rules.

Just that other NFC teams may want to deny the Bears to try and hurt them.

@BradBiggs - With #Bears 30th in waiver wire, would be very surprised if they claimed Kyle Orton. They could negotiate own contract w/ him if he clears

I believe the only teams after on the waiver wire are Green Bay and San Fran. So, if he clears every other team, there's no point in the Bears claiming him.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Nov 22, 2011 -> 04:14 PM)
Yeah thats the information I read which is why I believed Detroit could claim first.

The Lions have a fine backup QB and I doubt want to burn over a million bucks to block a waiver claim that may or may not be beneficial to a rival club. Come on, they aren't Kenny Williams. suicide.gif

$1mil in cap space is nothing if taking Orton prevents the Bears from making the playoffs.

Also if they dont claim Orton, and Orton helps the Bears make the playoffs, how do you explain to your fans you didnt block it?

The Lions control their own destiny at this point--it wont be their front offices' fault for letting Orton get by. Trust me, they'll have plenty to b**** about if the Lions blow it.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 22, 2011 -> 04:33 PM)
ZachZaidman Zach Zaidman

ChicagoBears.com, team's official website: "Some veteran will be signed most likely on Wednesday, but it won’t be Favre, Warner or Bulger."

If Warner could stand in the pocket I would take him immediately. Probably too old and out of shape though.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 22, 2011 -> 04:44 PM)
If Warner could stand in the pocket I would take him immediately. Probably too old and out of shape though.

He's not out of shape, he looks great, he's just very much done with his playing days.