Official 2011-2012 NFL Thread

• Replies 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no brees talk? kinda surprising since this was one of the better records in football.

but i take it soxtalk nation is smart enough to realize that its a completely different NFL now than it was when Marino played. After all, Brady is almost certain to top Marino next week, with Rodgers, Eli and stafford having a shot too (albeit with monster games)

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 27, 2011 -> 10:25 AM)
It was still cool, and it's been a "new nfl" for a bit now and that record still stood for 28 years? That's pretty amazing.

The Monday night crew tried to explain away the "new NFL" theory by saying Brees eclipsed the NFL average ypg by more yards than Marino did in 1984. However, the average ypg this year is really misleading. You've got 10 or so guys throwing for more than 4,000 yards this season (there were only 3 who did so in 1984), and then 8 rookies starting or something. The deviation between the good and the bad qb's in the NFL this season was huge, while it was much smaller in 1984.

Brees really is playing a different game.

Edited by iamshack

Darren Sproles has been an incredible pickup for them.

edit: note to san diego, if you hear that the saints are interested in a player you have who is exploring free agency, sign that player! Cut someone else you think is good that probably sucks!

Edited by bmags

I think it would be funny if Brady broke the record next week. Brees doesn't really need to play next week, but the Patriots need to win to keep home field advantage.

I would guess in the next couple of years you could see this record fall again.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Dec 27, 2011 -> 09:50 AM)
I think it would be funny if Brady broke the record next week. Brees doesn't really need to play next week, but the Patriots need to win to keep home field advantage.

I would guess in the next couple of years you could see this record fall again.

If the Saints win & the 49ers lose, then the Saints get the 1st round bye so he does have a reason to play. Granted the 49ers are playing St. Louis, but the Saints lost there this season, so anything can happen.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 27, 2011 -> 10:11 AM)
If the Saints win & the 49ers lose, then the Saints get the 1st round bye so he does have a reason to play. Granted the 49ers are playing St. Louis, but the Saints lost there this season, so anything can happen.

I forgot about that 49ers game.

Speaking of St. Louis, rumor is that Gruden might be coaching there next year.

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Dec 28, 2011 -> 12:38 PM)
T Owens wants to play for the 49ers..

The 49ers will WIN the NFC.

No matter how good their defense is this year, they still won't be able to outscore GB or NO.

The Bears still have need of a WR and Williams can be effective...but the drops simply kill him. Even if the Bears bring in an extra WR and just want to move Williams to the 3rd WR role, he just doesn't do anything in particular well enough to overcome the fact that he can't hold onto the ball.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 28, 2011 -> 02:49 PM)
The Bears still have need of a WR and Williams can be effective...but the drops simply kill him. Even if the Bears bring in an extra WR and just want to move Williams to the 3rd WR role, he just doesn't do anything in particular well enough to overcome the fact that he can't hold onto the ball.

As far as I am concerned, he needs to at least remain in the discussion until the draft. If they are able to get a guy like Michael Floyd or something, fine, you can release him then. Additionally, you've got Knox coming off a surgery, and Bennett who's not the most injury-proof guy...so I guess it depends on what he wants...but from where I sit, he deserves a chance to potentially come back.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 28, 2011 -> 05:38 PM)
As far as I am concerned, he needs to at least remain in the discussion until the draft. If they are able to get a guy like Michael Floyd or something, fine, you can release him then. Additionally, you've got Knox coming off a surgery, and Bennett who's not the most injury-proof guy...so I guess it depends on what he wants...but from where I sit, he deserves a chance to potentially come back.

With Free Agency hitting before the draft like a normal year...I think you have to target that #1 WR spot as the main thing to fill before the draft. Along with things like backup QB, warm body to replace Omiyale, etc. Beyond that, I'm much more flexible, and there's lots of options that could fill that 3rd/4th WR the Bears could use to replace their drug dealer. I'd be willing to go with Williams for that.

If the Bears target other possible needs, like a new tackle and some DE and CB strength in free agency, then they have to go WR in round 1 and then still add in another guy.

Last year it wasn't the worst gamble in the world to try Williams out as the WR addition they need. Now, WR seems to be an even bigger need than it was then.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 28, 2011 -> 04:38 PM)

I kinda felt this way going into this season. I didnt mind the pickup because we didnt do anything else to improve the position. However, imo if they go into next season where he would be good enough to be a top 3 WR on the roster they have already failed miserably.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Dec 28, 2011 -> 05:52 PM)
I kinda felt this way going into this season. I didnt mind the pickup because we didnt do anything else to improve the position. However, imo if they go into next season where he would be good enough to be a top 3 WR on the roster they have already failed miserably.

I think our discussion here is "would you really feel that bad if Williams were the #3 WR going into next year, behind Bennett and some major addition".

I'd tentatively be OK with that, especially if Knox is expected to be back to normal.

IF there's a worry Re: Williams, it's that the Bears FO might decide to bring him back during the period when they have exclusive rights to him, before the FA period starts, then go through the FA period thinking they have stability at their WR spot and let legit options like Jackson, Wayne, Johnson, hell take your pick there's a bunch, slip through their fingers because they think "They signed Williams already and can still add in the draft".

That would be a bad setup.