Official 2011-2012 NFL Thread

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Jan 2, 2012 -> 01:03 PM)
I liked Green Bay better last year, it may sound crazy but they were better at 10-6 than this year's 15-1 team.They were better balanced, really good offense with a really good D, this year they have a great offense with a D that gives up a lot of points.

They can certainly win it all again this year but you can score on their D, stopping them enough to beat them will be the problem.

Yeah, they're on the decline, actually. The injuries are starting to catch up with them. The Saints and Giants seem to be fairly close to their peak while the Packers are on the downslope. I'd like to add that the Falcons are playing their best ball of the year, too.

I think the Saints may just beat Green Bay in the NFC Championship.

• Replies 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 2, 2012 -> 02:08 PM)
Yeah, they're on the decline, actually. The injuries are starting to catch up with them. The Saints and Giants seem to be fairly close to their peak while the Packers are on the downslope. I'd like to add that the Falcons are playing their best ball of the year, too.

I think the Saints may just beat Green Bay in the NFC Championship.

Serious question...wasn't the Packers D quite a bit more banged up last year than they are right now?

Can anyone give a reason why that Packers D would be much stronger last year?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 2, 2012 -> 02:09 PM)
Serious question...wasn't the Packers D quite a bit more banged up last year than they are right now?

I'll leave that for someone that watches the Packers more than I do to answer.

All I know is, last year, the Packers were peaking right now, as Mex said...this year they seemed to have peaked around Thanksgiving or so and are now on the decline.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 2, 2012 -> 01:09 PM)

Everyone that they put in as a replacement last season was a solid if not spectacular replacement. Everything worked out very well.

One player they are missing this season that they had last season was Nick Collins. Maybe he is the Mike Brown "glue" guy of the defense, and they are missing him more than we realize?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 2, 2012 -> 01:09 PM)

One reason: B.J Raji. There are more, but he's the nose tackle and he's been absolutely awful this year. Much, much better last year. Charles Woodson has also taken a step back, but nothing close to what Raji has done.

I think he played too many snaps last year and it might have affected him this year. It's the only thing I can come up with.

Black Monday indeed.

So far, Bill and Chris Polian out in Indy, Spagnuolo, Devaney out in St Louis, Morris fired by Tampa.

Have to think there are going to be some jobs lost in Philly as well. Possibly Chargers.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 2, 2012 -> 03:00 PM)
I almost want to see them hold on to Turner. I don't know that fanbase that well, but a number of fanbases would riot at that.

If it weren't for Jay having so many different coordinators already, I would cheer for Turner to be fired so they Bears could hire him as their OC.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 2, 2012 -> 02:59 PM)
Black Monday indeed.

So far, Bill and Chris Polian out in Indy, Spagnuolo, Devaney out in St Louis, Morris fired by Tampa.

Have to think there are going to be some jobs lost in Philly as well. Possibly Chargers.

Surprised by the Polians being fired...that shakes things up quite a bit...

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 2, 2012 -> 03:02 PM)
If it weren't for Jay having so many different coordinators already, I would cheer for Turner to be fired so they Bears could hire him as their OC.

Of course, then the Bears could hire them as their HC, have had both of Jerry Jones's coordinators as HC's, and go another 5 years underperforming.

Playing in bad weather will hurt Green Bays offense too. If you look at the teams in the NFC playoffs going to Green Bay isnt as big a disadvantage as it seems. The Saints have very comparable receiving weapons to the Packers with probably the best option between both teams being Jimmy Graham. The Saints also have a better offensive line and the x factor being the Saints having a much better stable of running backs. So if the weather is awful then the Saints are more equipped to keep the ball on the ground.

Atlanta has been on fire lately and as the Packers know momentum going into the playoffs can be huge. Michael Turner could have a huge game against the Pack in Green Bay too.

San Fran has the defense and running game which is a better formula for bad weather but if they got down vs Green Bay they dont have the offensive firepower to keep up.

The Giants are hot right now and have essentially played playoff games the past 2 weeks. As someone else said they have the pass rushers to disrupt the passing game too. Eli, Cruz, Nicks and Co also can handle bad weather.

I dont think the Lions could beat the Pack considering they lost to them without the MVP yesterday. I dont think it matters though because I dont see Detroit getting past New Orleans anyway.

QUOTE (lord chas @ Jan 2, 2012 -> 02:06 PM)
Wow talk about the next GM in Indy put in a difficult spot

Kind of, but not really. The new guy coming in can just say "you know what, I want to start from the ground up and do it my way" and accomodate Peyton in whatever way possible to get him to a new team, or he could hang on to Manning for a few years while Luck grows more accustomed to the NFL. With the Polians, there is a lot of history there, and a lot of angst about what to do with Manning.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Jan 2, 2012 -> 02:45 PM)
Redskins or Broncos.

No way I can see Elway making that move. Redskins, 100 percent.

I think Elway will let this Tebow thing go on until people realize he is not a fit NFL QB(i know, such a hater I am), then he will get his franchise QB via draft.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 2, 2012 -> 02:50 PM)
No way I can see Elway making that move. Redskins, 100 percent.

I think Elway will let this Tebow thing go on until people realize he is not a fit NFL QB(i know, such a hater I am), then he will get his franchise QB via draft.

The Tebow experiment is over, teams have figured the scrub out and he will do next to nothing vs the Steelers.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Jan 2, 2012 -> 02:57 PM)
The Tebow experiment is over, teams have figured the scrub out and he will do next to nothing vs the Steelers.

No way in hell it is over, he gets next season as full time starter. Im not saying it is justified, but it will happen

"Tebow led the Broncos to the playoffs" will be the rally call. And it will be that largely misinforming statement that will get him next season.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 2, 2012 -> 04:01 PM)
No way in hell it is over, he gets next season as full time starter. Im not saying it is justified, but it will happen

"Tebow led the Broncos to the playoffs" will be the rally call. And it will be that largely misinforming statement that will get him next season.

If you were in John Elway's seat and you had a pick around #21, an 8-8 team, and the option to do whatever you wanted without the fans killing you, would you draft a late first round QB, would you sign a FA, or would you go with Tebow?

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 2, 2012 -> 03:01 PM)

If that happens, and Elway would be an idiot to let it happen, they could easily go 3-13 if they are dumb enough to let him start every game.

Edited by MexSoxFan#1

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Jan 2, 2012 -> 04:13 PM)
If that happens, and Elway would be an idiot to let it happen, they could easily go 3-13 if they are dumb enough to let him start every game.

I don't know if that can win a super bowl, but if you fortify the running game with an extra back and add in a possession WR to help bail out Tebow, Denver's formula ought to be able to put out a decent number of wins.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 2, 2012 -> 03:12 PM)
If you were in John Elway's seat and you had a pick around #21, an 8-8 team, and the option to do whatever you wanted without the fans killing you, would you draft a late first round QB, would you sign a FA, or would you go with Tebow?

Draft...no team would let a capable QB go FA and Tebow is just not an option.