Official 2011-2012 NFL Thread

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 4, 2012 -> 09:14 AM)
The older one is 69 years old, so it's not like he has much time left on the clock

And the younger one is apparently a fool... so we circle back to "why does anyone want the Polians?"

• Replies 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 4, 2012 -> 02:52 PM)
Martz didn't even let Cutler really audible. The OC should be making his game-plan adapt to his franchise QB, not the other way around.

Is that why he put the plays in so late?

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 4, 2012 -> 08:52 AM)
Martz didn't even let Cutler really audible. The OC should be making his game-plan adapt to his franchise QB, not the other way around.

Agree, agree, agree. This is the most indefensible indictment of Martz and why he was never a good fit for this team. I understand that Martz made his name in this league running his offense. I don't blame him for trying to install his offense when he got here. However, when it became CLEAR that we didn't have the personnel to run his offense, he should have scrapped it completely and tailored the offense around what Jay does best. I know they went to the run a lot the past two years, but that was only after a supposed "intervention" by Lovie. I think a good coach/manager does what he can to put his players in the best position to succeed. Martz only came around to that idea begrudgingly and after Cutler's eggs got scrambled numerous times.

I want an OC that is going to embrace Cutler, his skills and his football IQ. I want a QB coach that is going to work on honing his footwork (which improved under Martz). I'd love to see an OC challenge Jay to call some plays at the line like Brady, Manning, Breesus.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 4, 2012 -> 08:58 AM)
If it was simply a case of telling him to leave his kid at home I think he would still be employed by the Colts. Seems like they are a package deal.

Then I do not want him or his kid.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 4, 2012 -> 09:27 AM)
Is that why he put the plays in so late?

yep, he needed time to survey the defense. And since he wasnt on the field, he had to relay it to SHane Day who relayed it to Cutler.

And of course, if it was a disguised defense and Cutler saw through it and knew it was going to be a busted play, there was very very little he could do about it.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 4, 2012 -> 10:03 AM)
yep, he needed time to survey the defense. And since he wasnt on the field, he had to relay it to SHane Day who relayed it to Cutler.

And of course, if it was a disguised defense and Cutler saw through it and knew it was going to be a busted play, there was very very little he could do about it.

Can't describe how angry it makes me that not a single coach (including the infallible Lovie) didn't say "hey...that's a stupid f***ing way to run the offense"

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 4, 2012 -> 10:03 AM)

I understand you guys pointing out some of the inefficiencies in our offense under Martz, however, IMHO, we were making some major strides this year before the injury. I don't know for instance, that while someone else might have made better use of Cutler, that Martz didn't make the best use of the entire offensive personnel he had available to him. I'd love to have Olsen back, but other than that, I think he got the best use out of Forte and Knox and possibly even Roy Williams than might have otherwise been the case under another coordinator.

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 4, 2012 -> 10:42 AM)
I understand you guys pointing out some of the inefficiencies in our offense under Martz, however, IMHO, we were making some major strides this year before the injury. I don't know for instance, that while someone else might have made better use of Cutler, that Martz didn't make the best use of the entire offensive personnel he had available to him. I'd love to have Olsen back, but other than that, I think he got the best use out of Forte and Knox and possibly even Roy Williams than might have otherwise been the case under another coordinator.

At the same time though, everytime the offense made strides with Martz the past 2 years, it was after catastrophic games where Cutler was absolutely murdered and Martz was forced to scale back the offense and ditch his 7 and 5 step drops. Martz is a great offensive mind that gets in his own way sometimes.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 4, 2012 -> 11:26 AM)
At the same time though, everytime the offense made strides with Martz the past 2 years, it was after catastrophic games where Cutler was absolutely murdered and Martz was forced to scale back the offense and ditch his 7 and 5 step drops. Martz is a great offensive mind that gets in his own way sometimes.

Agreed..but this is where we all learn...from our mistakes. Granted they tended to relapse in the case of Martz, but I thought the improvement was more consistent this year than last.

Here's the pre-extension, pre-franchise tag list of FA wide receivers. I don't know that Welker is the ideal fit for the Bears, who could really use a guy who pairs with a cannon-armed QB on the deep ball, IMO. Any of the other top options, other than LLoyd just from previous experience, would be an adequate fit and a large upgrade. Then there are a number of other guys on the list who could be targets to fill the "Sam Hurd with fewer drugs" role that the Bears also need to fill now.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 4, 2012 -> 12:21 PM)
Here's the pre-extension, pre-franchise tag list of FA wide receivers. I don't know that Welker is the ideal fit for the Bears, who could really use a guy who pairs with a cannon-armed QB on the deep ball, IMO. Any of the other top options, other than LLoyd just from previous experience, would be an adequate fit and a large upgrade. Then there are a number of other guys on the list who could be targets to fill the "Sam Hurd with fewer drugs" role that the Bears also need to fill now.

5th WR and special teams guy?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 4, 2012 -> 12:18 PM)
What receivers become FA's and what ones become franchise-tagged?

I would think Bowe, Vincent Jackson and DeSean Jackson get franchised.

What do you think your Bills do with Stevie Johnson?

Colston, Lloyd, Manningham and Welker become FA's.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 4, 2012 -> 01:23 PM)
5th WR and special teams guy?

Except on the Bears right now...the 5th WR is much more like the 3rd WR in the actual depth chart...because Knox has the "injury" thing, Hester is a returner, Sanzenbacher is really WR #6, and WR #2, Earl Bennett, doesn't have the best history with injuries.

If Knox is actually back and 100%, he can get burn as the #3 Wr and probably be somewhat effective...but really, if you're honest about the injury situation in those Bears WR's, you want to add 2 WR's this offseason. Or at worst, a WR and a pass-catching TE. Something like that. One of them can be more of a gamble, maybe a Steve Smith or Braylon Edwards coming off an injury, that's acceptable if there's a higher flight guy thrown in also.

Wayne/Welker - Not going anywhere (unless Peyton is traded)

VJax/DJax/Stevie - head cases, no thanks

Bowe/Colston - I like them although Colston appears to be injury-prone

BLloyd - Has really improved since his last stint with the Bears

Meachem/Manningham - Better than anyone else the Bears have, but not #1's

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 4, 2012 -> 01:24 PM)
I would think Bowe, Vincent Jackson and DeSean Jackson get franchised.

What do you think your Bills do with Stevie Johnson?

Colston, Lloyd, Manningham and Welker become FA's.

The Bills have a mess on their hands, because Fred Jackson is also an unrestricted FA this offseason, and they can't tag both of them.

VJax could well be tagged again this season, but this would be a 2nd year tag for him. He made $11.4 million on the tag this year, so next year's tag should be something like $13.7 million/1 year for him if they use it on him again.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 4, 2012 -> 12:27 PM)
Except on the Bears right now...the 5th WR is much more like the 3rd WR in the actual depth chart...because Knox has the "injury" thing, Hester is a returner, Sanzenbacher is really WR #6, and WR #2, Earl Bennett, doesn't have the best history with injuries.

If Knox is actually back and 100%, he can get burn as the #3 Wr and probably be somewhat effective...but really, if you're honest about the injury situation in those Bears WR's, you want to add 2 WR's this offseason. Or at worst, a WR and a pass-catching TE. Something like that. One of them can be more of a gamble, maybe a Steve Smith or Braylon Edwards coming off an injury, that's acceptable if there's a higher flight guy thrown in also.

Hurd barely played as a WR. He was behind Williams too this year.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 4, 2012 -> 12:29 PM)
The Bills have a mess on their hands, because Fred Jackson is also an unrestricted FA this offseason, and they can't tag both of them.

VJax could well be tagged again this season, but this would be a 2nd year tag for him. He made $11.4 million on the tag this year, so next year's tag should be something like $13.7 million/1 year for him if they use it on him again.

My guess is that since the same regime is staying there, they'll stick with VJax one more year.

I don't really want Welker.

I want Bowe...I just can't see the Chiefs letting him get away.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 4, 2012 -> 06:36 PM)
My guess is that since the same regime is staying there, they'll stick with VJax one more year.

I don't really want Welker.

I want Bowe...I just can't see the Chiefs letting him get away.

Same here, I find a Bowe/Bennett pairing to be pretty good.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 4, 2012 -> 01:33 PM)
Hurd barely played as a WR. He was behind Williams too this year.

Call it whatever role you want, the guy had a roster spot, he was listed as a WR, and the Bears need 2.

Edit: Unless Knox is 100% ready to go.

Come on down, step right up, the Bears have an opening at GM!.....you just can't make any coaching decisions and have to make sure Lovie likes you first, but other than that, its all yours!!!!

So if we don't land a decent GM, we're looking at what maybe 2 more years of mediocre football until Lovie then gets fired. Then another 2-3 years until the GM and his new coaching staff get fired. THEN we can blow the whole thing up and look for another franchise QB. Woooo