Official 2011-2012 NFL Thread

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 4, 2012 -> 12:43 PM)
Call it whatever role you want, the guy had a roster spot, he was listed as a WR, and the Bears need 2.

Edit: Unless Knox is 100% ready to go.

Forget this. Knox is garbage. He doesnt run routes correctly, he never finishes routes, he doesnt fight for the ball. I am done with the Knox experiment. I wish him well in his health. I wish him away from the Bears. Bobby Wade part 2

• Replies 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Jan 4, 2012 -> 02:05 PM)
Come on down, step right up, the Bears have an opening at GM!.....you just can't make any coaching decisions and have to make sure Lovie likes you first, but other than that, its all yours!!!!

So if we don't land a decent GM, we're looking at what maybe 2 more years of mediocre football until Lovie then gets fired. Then another 2-3 years until the GM and his new coaching staff get fired. THEN we can blow the whole thing up and look for another franchise QB. Woooo

Oh give me a break.

The let the mad scientist take control of the entire organization model has proven to not have much merit to it. There has to be manageable divisions of labor, and a clear hierarchy within any organization.

The Bears are the charter franchise of the NFL, with a huge fanbase, reasonably solid stadium, in a major market with a franchise quarterback and a solid (yet aging) defense in place. It is an attractive job.

Lovie has shown an ability to work with many different personalities and even many different styles of offense. He's a low-key, intelligent, winning coach who has never thrown his boss or anyone else under the bus publicly. If anything, he is loyal to a fault. Lovie is not going to stop us from attracting both a great GM and a great OC.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 4, 2012 -> 02:23 PM)
Forget this. Knox is garbage. He doesnt run routes correctly, he never finishes routes, he doesnt fight for the ball. I am done with the Knox experiment. I wish him well in his health. I wish him away from the Bears. Bobby Wade part 2

Do you think that maybe Knox's weak points would be less exposed in a system that does not require such precise deep crossing routes? I know Johnny has his faults, but as a receiver, I still think he is somewhat valuable.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 4, 2012 -> 01:29 PM)
Do you think that maybe Knox's weak points would be less exposed in a system that does not require such precise deep crossing routes? I know Johnny has his faults, but as a receiver, I still think he is somewhat valuable.

When Martz came on board, I was under the impression that his offense would make use of Knox's abilities more than Turner did. Either The Score/Hub was wrong, or Knox is bad. After watching him half ass it multiple times this season, and seeing how he hasnt made any strides in his time as a Bear(and actually regressed this season), my opinion is that he is bad.

Im done with him. It would be such a bears move to keep a wide reciever that just broke his back and hope that he is able to be back 100 percent though, so i wont be surprised if he is brought back.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 4, 2012 -> 01:27 PM)
Oh give me a break.

The let the mad scientist take control of the entire organization model has proven to not have much merit to it. There has to be manageable divisions of labor, and a clear hierarchy within any organization.

The Bears are the charter franchise of the NFL, with a huge fanbase, reasonably solid stadium, in a major market with a franchise quarterback and a solid (yet aging) defense in place. It is an attractive job.

Lovie has shown an ability to work with many different personalities and even many different styles of offense. He's a low-key, intelligent, winning coach who has never thrown his boss or anyone else under the bus publicly. If anything, he is loyal to a fault. Lovie is not going to stop us from attracting both a great GM and a great OC.

How is letting your GM pick a coach/staff a "mad scientist" approach? That seems more like a "common sense" approach.

I'm not saying there is all that much wrong with Lovie...but I don't like the situation being basically "you can't make any changes to the coaching staff" to attract a good GM. But I guess anything is better than JA's stubborn ass

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Jan 4, 2012 -> 01:52 PM)
How is letting your GM pick a coach/staff a "mad scientist" approach? That seems more like a "common sense" approach.

I'm not saying there is all that much wrong with Lovie...but I don't like the situation being basically "you can't make any changes to the coaching staff" to attract a good GM. But I guess anything is better than JA's stubborn ass

I was more referring to the Parcells/Holmgren/Shanahan model with the mad scientist comment.

I understand it might be a more lucrative position if our HC was let go as well, but I don't see Lovie as being much of a deterrent when it comes to hiring the GM. And the new GM will be able to choose his OC with input from Lovie, I would think, which will be something like, "Is he Mike Martz"? "No." "Ok, he's fine by me."

I think Vjax is done in San Diego. I cant see them franchising him again and there is no way he will resign there. Welker clearly isnt going anywhere. I dont think Philly is gonna franchise Djax but I think they have a shot to resign him, but either way he isnt what the Bears need. Bowe would be the guy I really want but I think hes gonna be the hardest to get. If not Bowe then I think you have to go after Vjax and then Stevie, in that order. I wouldnt mind Colston but I dont think hes going anywhere either and then the last guy I think you could settle on would be Wayne if you strike out everywhere else.

I think I have a mental block on Lloyd because of his last stint here but he has been really good the past few years, but hes also very injury prone. If they were to get someone like him or maybe Manningham Id want it to be in conjunction with one of the other guys I already listed. Imo the Bears current roster only has 2 usable wr's. Bennett as the 2 or 3 and Hester as the 4 (I normally wouldnt even count him but his retrun game, when he is healthy, and his speed make him worth keeping)

The other option I wouldnt mind would be signing one of the first few guys I listed and then using their first rounder on a WR, which from the little I know about this WR class and considering where the Bears pick would probably be someone like Michael Floyd.

Actually looking at the rest of that list there are a few other guys who you could gamble on if you sign on one of the other guys first. Guys like Plax, Garcon, Steve Smith (Phi). I know Royal has been irrelevant for a few years also but I believe Cutler was the Qb his rookie year where he had a great season, I think over 1000 yards, and he could replace Knox in the return game.

Edited by DrunkBomber

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Jan 4, 2012 -> 03:31 PM)
I think Vjax is done in San Diego. I cant see them franchising him again and there is no way he will resign there. Welker clearly isnt going anywhere. I dont think Philly is gonna franchise Djax but I think they have a shot to resign him, but either way he isnt what the Bears need. Bowe would be the guy I really want but I think hes gonna be the hardest to get. If not Bowe then I think you have to go after Vjax and then Stevie, in that order. I wouldnt mind Colston but I dont think hes going anywhere either and then the last guy I think you could settle on would be Wayne if you strike out everywhere else.

I think I have a mental block on Lloyd because of his last stint here but he has been really good the past few years, but hes also very injury prone. If they were to get someone like him or maybe Manningham Id want it to be in conjunction with one of the other guys I already listed. Imo the Bears current roster only has 2 usable wr's. Bennett as the 2 or 3 and Hester as the 4 (I normally wouldnt even count him but his retrun game, when he is healthy, and his speed make him worth keeping)

The other option I wouldnt mind would be signing one of the first few guys I listed and then using their first rounder on a WR, which from the little I know about this WR class and considering where the Bears pick would probably be someone like Michael Floyd.

I dunno about Welker...yes, it would be best for HIM to stay in NE, but that doesn't mean NE wants to pay him $10 million to stay there. It could be a situation where NE gets cocky and thinks they can just plug in Edelman and they tell Welker to take a hike unless he wants to play for less than market.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Jan 4, 2012 -> 02:31 PM)
Imo the Bears current roster only has 2 usable wr's. Bennett as the 2 or 3 and Hester as the 4 (I normally wouldnt even count him but his retrun game, when he is healthy, and his speed make him worth keeping)

I dunno about you but I'd be perfectly happy with Johnny Knox as a part of the WR corps so long as it's down a few rungs. Certainly we all hate having him in the role the Bears have had him, trying to pass him off as a 1/2 guy, but as a 3/4 sign me up

QUOTE (WHarris1 @ Jan 4, 2012 -> 03:02 PM)
I dunno about you but I'd be perfectly happy with Johnny Knox as a part of the WR corps so long as it's down a few rungs. Certainly we all hate having him in the role the Bears have had him, trying to pass him off as a 1/2 guy, but as a 3/4 sign me up

It might just be me personally hating him but I wouldnt want him on the team at all. I know hes probably a capable 4th/5th WR and has good speed and contributes in the return game but Im just so sick of watching him give up on routes, not fight for balls in the air etc. To me him and Hester are basically the same WR with Hester having a leg up in the return game, and you dont need two guys like that.

Im sure a good amount of you guys watched the Giants/Cowboys game, there was a play in that game that just made me even more angry about the WR dilemma the Bears have had over the past decade. The play where Eli was being chased around the pocket and literally just launched the ball in the area where Victor Cruz was and he jumped in front of the corner and grabbed it. Even if he couldnt have made the catch he wasnt going to let the defense intercept it. That has to be a pretty nice luxury for a QB to be able to trust his wr's enough to do that.

QUOTE (WHarris1 @ Jan 4, 2012 -> 04:02 PM)

That's how I feel.

QUOTE (WHarris1 @ Jan 4, 2012 -> 03:02 PM)

A 3/4 that just sprints full speed down field every couple plays and returns kicks is fine with me. No routes, nothing over the middle, 1 move or less, only thrown to in single coverage.

QUOTE (WHarris1 @ Jan 4, 2012 -> 04:02 PM)

My worry about this continues to be that the last I saw of Johnny Knox involved him being darn near ripped in half.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 4, 2012 -> 03:53 PM)
I dunno about Welker...yes, it would be best for HIM to stay in NE, but that doesn't mean NE wants to pay him $10 million to stay there. It could be a situation where NE gets cocky and thinks they can just plug in Edelman and they tell Welker to take a hike unless he wants to play for less than market.

If Denver wants to try Tebow for another season, they ought to dump piles of money on Welker.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 4, 2012 -> 03:39 PM)
My worry about this continues to be that the last I saw of Johnny Knox involved him being darn near ripped in half.

Excellent point.

Man remember when Cutler made that ridiculous back of the end zone throw against SD where Knox hauled it in? Yeah, that's where we peaked.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Jan 4, 2012 -> 03:36 PM)
A 3/4 that just sprints full speed down field every couple plays and returns kicks is fine with me. No routes, nothing over the middle, 1 move or less, only thrown to in single coverage.

Thats what Hester is to me. You dont need 2 guys like that imo and clearly Hester is more valuable then Knox.

I find myself agreeing with iamshack almost all the time this season. I don't know what his future in KC will look like, but Bowe is the guy I think they should be going after in FA and they do have the salary cap space to do it. Yes he did quit on some games in KC when they were losing badly but that s*** won't fly here with Tice and Cutler. VJax will cost too much and if he doesn't get franchised I think DJax will have his feelings hurt by how much money he'll actually get. There are a lot of #2s available too although i want Bennett to play there.

Knox averages like 20 yards a catch... why? Because he can only make 20-yard catches! He can run fast in a straight line, or a post. Ask him to do a crossing route, a curl, or to come back... he can't do it. He slips and falls a lot (so does Hester who has the same problem) and it gets blamed on the turf but the truth is he has bad techniques on his breaks and after being in the NFL this long with no improvement there I don't know how much better he can do. On the play Cutler got injured this exact thing happened. And Cutler's interceptions were way down, but would be even lower without Knox allowing the ball to sail past him on blown routes. He would work fine as the 4th receiver or a guy who is brought in on passing downs to split the safeties... not running complex X or Z routes.

I had no idea Wes Welker was a free agent... if you made a robot designed to play slot receiver you'd model it after him. However we have Hester who should be doing for us exactly what Welker does in New England, and we're paying him a lot of money to do other things he's no good at.

I'm also crossing my fingers hoping that the football gods compensate us for this season by allowing Michael Floyd to fall to us in the draft.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Jan 4, 2012 -> 03:56 PM)
Thats what Hester is to me. You dont need 2 guys like that imo and clearly Hester is more valuable then Knox.

Alternate them both doing that so 1 of them is always out there with Bowe or VJ/Bennet :)

Hester is by far the more valuable player overall, but Knox is a far better 4th receiver. Knox wasn't very good this year and he still almost put up more yards than Hester's receiving career high.

Edited by WHarris1

I tweeted Robert Mathis and asked his feelings on playing opposite Peppers and told him I know he can't really speak on the future yet, and he said (paraphrasing) "Pep is a cool ass dude and a hell of a DE but you right, can't speak on that topic"

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 4, 2012 -> 12:29 PM)
The Bills have a mess on their hands, because Fred Jackson is also an unrestricted FA this offseason, and they can't tag both of them.

VJax could well be tagged again this season, but this would be a 2nd year tag for him. He made $11.4 million on the tag this year, so next year's tag should be something like $13.7 million/1 year for him if they use it on him again.

Fred Jackson is signed for about $1.5 mill next year. He's not a free agent. Next year IS the last year of his deal.

I remember them making a big deal about that when he got injured, because he very well could have been a holdout candidate next training camp considering he was on pace to put up 1500 rushing yards and 2200 all purpose yards. Now that he's injured and Spiller showed he can be effective, he's going to have to prove he's healthy again.

If the Bills can't come to terms with Stevie on a long term deal, franchising him is the next logical step, because they sure as hell aren't going to franchise Demetrius Bell (who I'd be perfectly fine with having back).

Topical:

Multiple sources tell the San Diego Union-Tribune that the Chargers are "unlikely" to place the franchise tag on free agent Vincent Jackson.

The Bolts don't want to allocate $13 million for one player when they need several offensive line upgrades, a new pass rusher, and potentially a new strong safety. "We will have some significant personnel changes," said GM A.J. Smith. San Diego's goal will reportedly be to lock up Jackson with a long-term deal, despite Smith's past hesitancy. If the sides can't find common ground, it sounds like Jackson could head to the open market.

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/225...v-jackson-again