Official 2011-2012 NFL Thread

• Replies 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 4, 2012 -> 05:03 PM)
And the Bears should have the biggest need of all of them. Really.

I know how badly the Bears need a #1, but not the biggest fan of him. Seems to be close to TO/Moss diva level, without as much talent. Takes plays/games off too. Still would be a gigantic upgrade though.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 4, 2012 -> 06:06 PM)
I know how badly the Bears need a #1, but not the biggest fan of him. Seems to be close to TO/Moss diva level, without as much talent. Takes plays/games off too. Still would be a gigantic upgrade though.

I believe the same sort of thing was also said about Peppers when the Bears signed him. When they signed him, they had the biggest need of a DE in football, because they just had one pass away...they went out, got him, and the difference was impressive.

If he takes a play off, it happens, but it will still make the team so much better when he doesn't, and fixing the rest is Lovie's problem

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 4, 2012 -> 05:06 PM)

Lovie seems to be good at getting guys to play for him.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 4, 2012 -> 05:08 PM)
I believe the same sort of thing was also said about Peppers when the Bears signed him. When they signed him, they had the biggest need of a DE in football, because they just had one pass away...they went out, got him, and the difference was impressive.

If he takes a play off, it happens, but it will still make the team so much better when he doesn't, and fixing the rest is Lovie's problem

I completely forgot that about Peppers, good point. Even if I'm not the biggest fan, the WR core is so bad, VJax would probably be worth any potential headaches.

I would be shocked if Vjax resigned in San Diego. I remember seeing a quote from him talking about how he plans on structuring his contract with a new team so it gets San Diego the lowest compensatory pick possible. If AJ Smith was gone then maybe, but still doubtful, but since hes still there I say no way.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 4, 2012 -> 04:37 PM)
Topical:

Multiple sources tell the San Diego Union-Tribune that the Chargers are "unlikely" to place the franchise tag on free agent Vincent Jackson.

The Bolts don't want to allocate $13 million for one player when they need several offensive line upgrades, a new pass rusher, and potentially a new strong safety. "We will have some significant personnel changes," said GM A.J. Smith. San Diego's goal will reportedly be to lock up Jackson with a long-term deal, despite Smith's past hesitancy. If the sides can't find common ground, it sounds like Jackson could head to the open market.

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/225...v-jackson-again

Vincent Jackson + Jay Cutler = OMG

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Jan 4, 2012 -> 05:38 PM)
I would be shocked if Vjax resigned in San Diego. I remember seeing a quote from him talking about how he plans on structuring his contract with a new team so it gets San Diego the lowest compensatory pick possible. If AJ Smith was gone then maybe, but still doubtful, but since hes still there I say no way.

But if they franchise him, he has no choice.

Luckily, it appears as though they won't...

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 4, 2012 -> 04:37 PM)
Topical:

Multiple sources tell the San Diego Union-Tribune that the Chargers are "unlikely" to place the franchise tag on free agent Vincent Jackson.

The Bolts don't want to allocate $13 million for one player when they need several offensive line upgrades, a new pass rusher, and potentially a new strong safety. "We will have some significant personnel changes," said GM A.J. Smith. San Diego's goal will reportedly be to lock up Jackson with a long-term deal, despite Smith's past hesitancy. If the sides can't find common ground, it sounds like Jackson could head to the open market.

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/225...v-jackson-again

That Chargers team should've won a SB a few years ago but it looks like the window closed on them.

Jeff Fisher wants Bears coaching job

Jeff Fisher's the hottest name in coaching right now, likely getting his pick of open jobs around the NFL. But here's a spicy meatball: Fisher's top choice of NFL gigs isn't one that's open, as he reportedly has "always wanted" the Chicago Bears job.

That's what Albert Breer of NFL Network reported on Tuesday night, and it's a bit of a stunner, though the connected dots do make some sense. For starters, Fisher was a Bear when he was in the NFL from 1981-1984. According to Breer, Fisher has "maintained a close relationship with ownership" since his playing time.

------

Just one problem: Lovie Smith's still coaching in Chicago. Despite firing their general manager, the Bears decided that Smith "will remain" as the coach of the organization. So there's no place for Fisher in Chicago right now, and Breer writes that it ultimately isn't something that's likely to happen, and the "more likely result" is Fisher landing with the Rams.

The Bears would need a significant swing in management -- a la Bill Polian -- in order to warrant that sort of drastic coaching change. But if the 2012 coaching carousel's taught us anything, it's that the unexpected is pretty normal and ruling anything out is foolish.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Jan 5, 2012 -> 10:11 AM)
The Bears meathead fans are gonna want that...mustached guy who yells alot on the sidelines=wins.

I'll pass.

I saw this yesterday and I agree with you...Fisher has done some good things in the League but I don't see him as having a leg up whatsoever on Lovie Smith.

Besides, "Lovie Smith is our Head Coach..."

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Jan 5, 2012 -> 08:11 AM)
The Bears meathead fans are gonna want that...mustached guy who yells alot on the sidelines=wins.

I'll pass.

Fisher is a tremendous head coach and is one guy I would be completey on board with hiring over Lovie. Note: There aren't many guys I'd replace Lovie with in the league.

I do think if you brought in a GM like the Ravens guy (who is the top candidate in the league) and the Bears loved him and he was in with the exception that he needed to have a shot to bring in his coach, than I'd probably do it.

There are probably 5 coaches better than Lovie in this league:

1. Bellicheck

2. Sean Payton

3. McCarthy

4. Tomlin

5. Reid

I think anyone else and you can make an argument Lovie is better. The next list, which includes Lovie, also includes Mike Smith, the Harbaugh Brothers, Shanny (I might include him in the top group), and Rex Ryan (who I happen to hate). You could also argue for Kubiak (who I'm a huge fan of). Which means, if you agree with my list, at worse, Lovie is the 11th or 12th best coach in the league. I happen to think he rates on par with everyone else on the list of this group of candidates and most definitely ahead of Rex.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 5, 2012 -> 11:48 AM)
Fisher is a tremendous head coach and is one guy I would be completey on board with hiring over Lovie. Note: There aren't many guys I'd replace Lovie with in the league.

I do think if you brought in a GM like the Ravens guy (who is the top candidate in the league) and the Bears loved him and he was in with the exception that he needed to have a shot to bring in his coach, than I'd probably do it.

There are probably 5 coaches better than Lovie in this league:

1. Bellicheck

2. Sean Payton

3. McCarthy

4. Tomlin

5. Reid

I think anyone else and you can make an argument Lovie is better. The next list, which includes Lovie, also includes Mike Smith, the Harbaugh Brothers, Shanny (I might include him in the top group), and Rex Ryan (who I happen to hate). You could also argue for Kubiak (who I'm a huge fan of). Which means, if you agree with my list, at worse, Lovie is the 11th or 12th best coach in the league. I happen to think he rates on par with everyone else on the list of this group of candidates and most definitely ahead of Rex.

Not questioning your list, but the top 4 coaches have Brady, Brees, Big Ben, & Rodgers as their QBs. Do the coaches make the QB or the QBs make the coach?

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 5, 2012 -> 12:03 PM)
Not questioning your list, but the top 4 coaches have Brady, Brees, Big Ben, & Rodgers as their QBs. Do the coaches make the QB or the QBs make the coach?

I think it's a bit of both.