Official 2011-2012 NFL Thread

• Replies 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 7, 2012 -> 10:10 PM)
True. But Stafford certainly didn't disappoint either. He had one of the greatest season's ever for a QB that's not even 24 yet.

I'd attribute some of that to Calvin Johnson.

Sometimes Stafford just lobs passes up in the air for Johnson to adjust to. That being said, he's made major strides.

I could be alone on this, but I'd rather take Cutler than Stafford right now (as in, as of this moment, not taking age and contract into account). Give Cutler Stafford's offensive line and Calvin Johnson and he puts up better numbers.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jan 7, 2012 -> 10:13 PM)
I'd attribute some of that to Calvin Johnson.

Sometimes Stafford just lobs passes up in the air for Johnson to adjust to. That being said, he's made major strides.

I could be alone on this, but I'd rather take Cutler than Stafford right now (as in, as of this moment, not taking age and contract into account). Give Cutler Stafford's offensive line and Calvin Johnson and he puts up better numbers.

There's no underestimating the Megatron effect. But even with that, Stafford did what he did with just 13 career games played coming into this season. And I agree with you about Cutler. But he's a Bear. "We get off the bus running." Even though it's 2012 and nobody runs anymore. Oh, and we have no legitimate offensive talent aside from Forte.

Edited by Jordan4life

Classic defense vs. offense. Can't get any better than that.

I have every confidence in our defense to hold the Saints offense. That Lion's D was horrid. Go 49ers!!!

Edited by SOXOBAMA

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Jan 7, 2012 -> 11:58 PM)

I have every confidence in our defense to hold the Saints offense. That Lion's D was horrid. Go 49ers!!!

Ya, good luck with that. You need to be in Brees' face on every snap to have a chance. And you have to hit him...repeatedly. They're ridiculously dangerous because they're running the ball extremely well too. That team is HOT.

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Jan 7, 2012 -> 10:58 PM)

If the game was in NOLA, the 49ers would have no chance, but outdoors on grass I can't count them out. In the Saints last seven games, 5 have been in the Superdome, 1 in the Metrodome, and only one outdoors. In that outdoors game they only scored 22 and barely beat the Titans.

Edited by LittleHurt05

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 7, 2012 -> 10:37 PM)
There's no underestimating the Megatron effect. But even with that, Stafford did what he did with just 13 career games played coming into this season. And I agree with you about Cutler. But he's a Bear. "We get off the bus running." Even though it's 2012 and nobody runs anymore. Oh, and we have no legitimate offensive talent aside from Forte.

Stafford was seriously bad at the beginning of the season despite his stats, that being said he made huge strides the last 5 or so games but I'd still take Cutler. Jay is seriously a top 5 qb right now, outside the big 3, I don't think there's a qb out there I'd rather have than Cutler.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Jan 8, 2012 -> 10:47 AM)
John Clayton is on ESPN saying the Colts plan on drafting Andrew Luck and also want to keep Peyton Manning if he is healthy enough to play when his roster bonus is due.

It would be criminal to sit Luck with Manning starting. Nobody in the history of the QB position has been more NFL ready than Luck coming in.

I'm sure Seattle would be more than happy to give up their potential selection of someone like Brock Osweiler, for a few years of Manning.

Edited by Palehosefan

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Jan 8, 2012 -> 12:18 PM)
It would be criminal to sit Luck with Manning starting. Nobody in the history of the QB position has been more NFL ready than Luck coming in.

I'm sure Seattle would be more than happy to give up their potential selection of someone like Brock Osweiler, for a few years of Manning.

I'd trade Luck. I think Manning will be fine for the next 4-5 years.

Deal Luck for something insane...I heard THREE first rounders+? And worry about getting another QB down the road, when Peyton is truly done.

If you want to make the most efficient use of your assets, dealing Luck (or the pick) will get you far more value than Peyton at this point.

According to ESPN's Chris Mortensen, Colts owner Jim Irsay "will never trade" Peyton Manning.

Mort also reports both Irsay and Manning have emphatically denied discussing pushing back the March 8 due date for Manning's $28 million option bonus. The duo will "jointly determine" Manning's future, and the matter of Manning's potential release remains a "medical issue" for the time being. Our best guess remains that Manning will be released just before or on March 8.

Per Rotoworld

Who knows really should be real interesting come March.

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Jan 8, 2012 -> 11:18 AM)

I respectfully disagree. I think if they can get the money to work that Luck getting to learn from Manning will make him a better player, period. I also dont know about Luck being the most NFL ready QB ever. There is always the chance that elite college players will bust. What has made Peyton Manning so great has been his preparation, knowledge of the game and his ability to read defenses. Those are things that can be learned and it would be invaluable for Luck to have a season or two with Manning to learn as much as he can. Also, if they keep Manning and he comes back strong and looks to have more left in his career then his value might be higher then it would be right now with the question marks about his injury.

Peyton Manning essentially carried that franchise on his back for a decade and brought them from a bottom feeder to a perennial contender. I know its a business and a what have you done for me lately league but the Colts will not be better off without Peyton Manning. If they think he can still play (which Id hope they do if they pay him that roster bonus) then they might be better off trading the rights to Luck and loading up on picks.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Jan 8, 2012 -> 10:31 AM)
I respectfully disagree. I think if they can get the money to work that Luck getting to learn from Manning will make him a better player, period. I also dont know about Luck being the most NFL ready QB ever. There is always the chance that elite college players will bust. What has made Peyton Manning so great has been his preparation, knowledge of the game and his ability to read defenses. Those are things that can be learned and it would be invaluable for Luck to have a season or two with Manning to learn as much as he can. Also, if they keep Manning and he comes back strong and looks to have more left in his career then his value might be higher then it would be right now with the question marks about his injury.

Peyton Manning essentially carried that franchise on his back for a decade and brought them from a bottom feeder to a perennial contender. I know its a business and a what have you done for me lately league but the Colts will not be better off without Peyton Manning. If they think he can still play (which Id hope they do if they pay him that roster bonus) then they might be better off trading the rights to Luck and loading up on picks.

Agreed. Perfect example would be to look at the Rodgers/Favre situation.

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jan 8, 2012 -> 01:34 PM)
Agreed. Perfect example would be to look at the Rodgers/Favre situation.

Aaron Rodgers was no where near the point Luck was at when he was drafted.

Secondly, the cap numbers are slightly different. Favre's cap number in 07, for example, was $11.8 million, and Rodgers' was $1.5 million. Peyton Manning's is what, $28 million next year, and Luck will probably be another $5 million on top of that?

And add to that, the list of Colts Free Agents this year...Robert Mathis, Reggie Wayne, Jeff Saturday, Pierre Garcon, Ryan Diem. They might be able to afford to lose 1-2 of those guys, but if you're locking up $33 million in the QB spot, another $15 million in Freeney, a big amount in Clark...there's no money to put anyone around Manning. There's no money to keep these guys.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 8, 2012 -> 01:02 PM)
Aaron Rodgers was no where near the point Luck was at when he was drafted.

Secondly, the cap numbers are slightly different. Favre's cap number in 07, for example, was $11.8 million, and Rodgers' was $1.5 million. Peyton Manning's is what, $28 million next year, and Luck will probably be another $5 million on top of that?

And add to that, the list of Colts Free Agents this year...Robert Mathis, Reggie Wayne, Jeff Saturday, Pierre Garcon, Ryan Diem. They might be able to afford to lose 1-2 of those guys, but if you're locking up $33 million in the QB spot, another $15 million in Freeney, a big amount in Clark...there's no money to put anyone around Manning. There's no money to keep these guys.

Point worth noting. Just because Manning gets a $28 million payment next year, it doesn't mean his cap hit is $28 million for 2012.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 8, 2012 -> 02:06 PM)
Point worth noting. Just because Manning gets a $28 million payment next year, it doesn't mean his cap hit is $28 million for 2012.

You're right, it's closer to $20 million than $28, that roster bonus is spread out, but it's still huge, and that team already is sitting on huge contracts.

Whatever the math is...what's the point of keeping Manning if you lose Wayne, Saturday, and Mathis, and basically have your first round pick sitting on the bench not helping Manning win anything?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 8, 2012 -> 01:10 PM)
You're right, it's closer to $20 million than $28, that roster bonus is spread out, but it's still huge, and that team already is sitting on huge contracts.

Whatever the math is...what's the point of keeping Manning if you lose Wayne, Saturday, and Mathis, and basically have your first round pick sitting on the bench not helping Manning win anything?

We have seen what the Colts look like without Manning. For my two cents, I'd sure like to have Manning molding the future.

Why do you say Rodgers was no where near Luck?

Rodgers had QB rating of 154 and 66% pct completion, Luck had a QB rating of 160.7 with a 70% completion rating.

Statistically Luck isnt even the best QB in this draft, that would be RG III or Russel Wilson, who both sport better QB ratings (both broke the all time NCAA record, Wilson with rating of 191.2 and RG III with 189.5).

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 8, 2012 -> 02:19 PM)
We have seen what the Colts look like without Manning. For my two cents, I'd sure like to have Manning molding the future.

Do you want to see Manning without Wayne, Saturday, Garcon, and Mathis? Is that a path to a Super Bowl caliber team?

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 8, 2012 -> 02:26 PM)

Rodgers had QB rating of 154 and 66% pct completion, Luck had a QB rating of 160.7 with a 70% completion rating.

Statistically Luck isnt even the best QB in this draft, that would be RG III or Russel Wilson, who both sport better QB ratings (both broke the all time NCAA record, Wilson with rating of 191.2 and RG III with 189.5).

GMAB man...

ANdrew Luck is getting comparisons to John Elway coming out of college. Aaron Rodgers was considered an iffy option as the #1 pick, and then absolutely plummeted afterwards until he wound up in a good situation.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 8, 2012 -> 01:26 PM)

Rodgers was very good in college, but Luck is the Peyton Manning of college football. He prepares the same way as Manning, and audibles at the line most of the time based on what the defense shows. He watches endless film, and has all the physical attributes you could want from a QB. There is literally nothing missing at this point in his development. He reads defenses quickly, has veteran NFL QB footwork, and has the arm to make all the throws with a quick release. He also has the mobility to get where he needs to on the field. He is a natural leader with NFL bloodlines, and as classy as they come with the media off the field.

If you could build a QB prospect, he is what you would build.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jan 8, 2012 -> 11:52 AM)
Stafford was seriously bad at the beginning of the season despite his stats, that being said he made huge strides the last 5 or so games but I'd still take Cutler. Jay is seriously a top 5 qb right now, outside the big 3, I don't think there's a qb out there I'd rather have than Cutler.

Let's not get carried away with saying he's top 5.

In no order

Brees,Brady,Rivers,Eli,Romo,Rodgers,Ryan,Schaub,Big Ben.

That is 9 right there and that doesnt include if Peyton comes back.