Official 2011-2012 NFL Thread

Im not really a big believer in people who make comparisons based on the college a guy went to (if Luck didnt go to Stanford would anyone say Elway? The answer is no, Elway had tremendous athleticism and one of the best college arms in history.)

Ive seen most of Luck's games and Id personally rather trade the #1 for multiple #1 and 2s. To many top 5 QBs have completely busted for my liking, I think in general the better move is to always trade for more picks. I think Luck is solid, I just think if Im the Colts Id be much happier getting a bunch of talent and a QB like Griffin. Im not sure people realize how ungodly his numbers were. 72% completion, 37/6 td/int. and he played in the Big 12 where he faced Ok and had one of his best games.

If I can get RGIII and 4-5 draft picks or Luck, Id take the picks. RGIII under Manning, that would be nice.

Edited by Soxbadger

• Replies 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 8, 2012 -> 02:53 PM)
If I can get RGIII and 4-5 draft picks or Luck, Id take the picks. RGIII under Manning, that would be nice.

How exactly would they pull off Getting RG3? Is the team with the #3 pick really that likely to trade up?

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 8, 2012 -> 02:26 PM)
Why do you say Rodgers was no where near Luck?

Rodgers had QB rating of 154 and 66% pct completion, Luck had a QB rating of 160.7 with a 70% completion rating.

Statistically Luck isnt even the best QB in this draft, that would be RG III or Russel Wilson, who both sport better QB ratings (both broke the all time NCAA record, Wilson with rating of 191.2 and RG III with 189.5).

Seriously, who the f*** cares about college QB rating when evaluating QB prospects?

In terms of keeping Manning, the decision should actually be pretty simple. It's this question:

If you keep Peyton Manning, can you win a Super Bowl with the team around him? If the cap situation is so bad that they lose most of that list of FA's this year, and they have no money to replace them, then the only way they can put a legit winner around Manning is the draft, and if they're drafting Luck, then effectively they start getting players to help Manning at pick 32.

Especially with the Colts being another year older, if they lose 3 or 4 of those guys, I can't believe they can field a Super Bowl quality team around Manning while drafting Luck.

That would mean wasting the last couple productive years of Peyton Manning's career on him being a tutor. That's a horrible waste of everything. Sign Jeff Garcia if you need a veteran tutor. Or just hire a decent QB coach.

If the Colts can not only keep those guys, but also add to their roster, then they might still have a shot at winning with Manning. In that case, it could make sense to hold onto Luck for a year or two, because they're still gunning for the Super Bowl with Manning. They're not holding onto him only to be a tutor, they're trying to win. I don't think they have the cap room to pull this off, but I'm not running the team.

The same way that the Chargers got Rivers when they traded Manning or the Chargers got Brees when they traded Vick.

If the 3 is going QB, they may be interested in trading up for Luck. Simply just have to look at the teams.

4-6 is where the 2nd QB will go (imo), Rams have Bradford, Vikings have Ponder/Ball so unlikely to take another QB. You hope that one of those teams really wants Luck and you trade with them once their pick is up and RGIII is still on the board.

Whitesoxfn99,

You have to use something.

And the argument "Ive watched them play and this is my opinion" really doesnt foster much discussion. I personally think Luck is good, but not so much better than other QB's that I wouldnt want multiple picks.

Balta,

If Manning is 100% the Colts can become contenders quickly. And that is the point, the only way they can trade Manning for a fortune is if Manning is deemed completely healthy. Otherwise youd have to deal him for cents on the dollar and in a rebuild the quickest way to get back to being good is trading for multiple first round picks, which trading the #1 overall would accomplish.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 8, 2012 -> 03:25 PM)
Balta,

If Manning is 100% the Colts can become contenders quickly. And that is the point, the only way they can trade Manning for a fortune is if Manning is deemed completely healthy. Otherwise youd have to deal him for cents on the dollar and in a rebuild the quickest way to get back to being good is trading for multiple first round picks, which trading the #1 overall would accomplish.

You wouldn't trade for Manning if you were the Jets, for example, based solely on him passing a physical in 2 months?

I sure as **** would.

Doesnt passing a physical mean that Manning is completely healthy?

And if Manning is healthy, the Colts can be contenders pretty quickly.

(edit)

Let me clarify, even if Manning is dealt, I still think that the Colts should strongly consider trading down. I just always prefer multiple first round picks.

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 8, 2012 -> 02:53 PM)
Im not sure people realize how ungodly his numbers were. 72% completion, 37/6 td/int. and he played in the Big 12 where he faced Ok and had one of his best games.

Yeah he's a good talent but his ungodly numbers had a lot to do with the conference he played in.

McCoy completed 70% of his passes for his career. Weeden completed 72% of his passes this year. Something like 7 times a Big 12 QB has completed over 70% of his passes in the last 4 years. None were Sam Bradford.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 8, 2012 -> 03:32 PM)
Out of the 3 potential 2nd round opponents, the Giants are definitely the toughest matchup for Green Bay. That being said, it would require a perfect game out of them to win in Lambeau.

and part of that perfect game requirement would be less than perfect weather conditions.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 8, 2012 -> 03:30 PM)
Doesnt passing a physical mean that Manning is completely healthy?

And if Manning is healthy, the Colts can be contenders pretty quickly.

(edit)

Let me clarify, even if Manning is dealt, I still think that the Colts should strongly consider trading down. I just always prefer multiple first round picks.

If Manning is Healthy, I don't think the Colts can be contenders with this roster, if they lose a substantial fraction of their 5 big FA's I listed earlier. And with Manning being a $20 million cap hit, I don't see how they can substantially improve their roster through free agency.

They need an infusion of talent. There is no way around it. One way to do it is to trade Luck...but that has to be one heckuva deal to do so. The kind of deal I wouldn't give up for a rookie QB. If a team meets that price, yes, you trade that pick, but it needs to be the "3 first round picks" that people are talking about.

Zen,

Thats why I pointed specifically to the OK game. While the Big 12 isnt great on defense, OK is usually solid (Bradford cant play his own team haha).

More to the point, Ok is probably the best defense either Luck or Griffin played this year. Not sure USC is on the same level.

A few weeks ago I said that the Giants were a team that could give the Packers trouble.

Balta,

I think 2 firsts, 2 seconds and 2 thirds could sway me to deal Luck. Regardless Im not advocating giving Luck away, more saying that it seems you can really rip some one off, and thats when you take advantage.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jan 8, 2012 -> 02:35 PM)
and part of that perfect game requirement would be less than perfect weather conditions.

That is true if they can run the ball like they have today, during the season they were awful. However, part of the reason they are a tough matchup is that they can throw down the field to Cruz/Nicks/Manningham in a shootout, so they don't need bad weather.

Edited by LittleHurt05

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 8, 2012 -> 03:39 PM)
A few weeks ago I said that the Giants were a team that could give the Packers trouble.

Balta,

I think 2 firsts, 2 seconds and 2 thirds could sway me to deal Luck. Regardless Im not advocating giving Luck away, more saying that it seems you can really rip some one off, and thats when you take advantage.

If that kind of offer is on the table for Luck...that has to at least be very, very tempting for the Colts.

Personally, I'd be a heckuva lot more likely to give that offer up for Manning than for Luck, but then again I'm not running a team.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 8, 2012 -> 03:42 PM)
Giants also have a good front 4, if they can get pressure it makes it harder for GB to spread the field, go empty, etc.

I missed what happened when Pierre-Paul went down, did he come back in?

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 8, 2012 -> 02:42 PM)
Giants also have a good front 4, if they can get pressure it makes it harder for GB to spread the field, go empty, etc.

Yup. Tuck/Pierre-Paul/Ueminyora/Kiwanuaka & co. can make life hell for a QB. Rodgers has been great all year at reading defenses and finding the open WR very quickly, so should be interesting.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 8, 2012 -> 03:52 PM)
I think Paul is surprisingly still in the game given the score.

This is the same ethos they showed in going all-in to try to deny the Patriots win 16. They're trying to devour their opponent completely. And now that defense is leaving on a 4th down sack.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jan 8, 2012 -> 01:51 PM)
Let's not get carried away with saying he's top 5.

In no order

Brees,Brady,Rivers,Eli,Romo,Rodgers,Ryan,Schaub,Big Ben.

That is 9 right there and that doesnt include if Peyton comes back.

Cutler's better than Rivers. That was pretty evident when the two teams played.

If you give any QB the Bears' situation this year, very few would have played as well as Cutler did (Brees, Brady, Rodgers, and maybe Roethlisberger), let alone get the team to 7-3.