Official 2011-2012 NFL Thread

• Replies 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jan 14, 2012 -> 11:47 PM)
I heard about the fight on ESPN 1000...what exactly happened?

3rd and 10 for the patriots at their own 42 (roughly 3 min left). belichick calls timeout (an interesting decision given they were up 35) starters inexplicably still in. Brady in shotgun....and he punts the ball. Von miller took exception and hit/pushed an O lineman on the side/back after the whistle....from then a couple brouhahas break out and broncos correctly get flagged for unnecessary roughness

Harbaugh vs. Harbaugh? The ESPN coverage of that might be worse than the Tebow-thon.

I called this matchup earlier in the season, so I am going to stick with it. I agree with you about the coverage

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jan 14, 2012 -> 10:55 PM)
Brady punted on 3rd down (basically an insult) and the Broncos got mad

That is an insult. I mean seriously, they were just fooling around.

What Miller did was stupid, but I really can't blame him.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (daa84 @ Jan 14, 2012 -> 10:53 PM)
3rd and 10 for the patriots at their own 42 (roughly 3 min left). belichick calls timeout (an interesting decision given they were up 35) starters inexplicably still in. Brady in shotgun....and he punts the ball. Von miller took exception and hit/pushed an O lineman on the side/back after the whistle....from then a couple brouhahas break out and broncos correctly get flagged for unnecessary roughness

I find this both insulting and hilarious.

So, watching E:60.

It had Ray Rice's childhood, where his father was mistakenly killed in a drive by when he was one. His father-figure cousin was killed by a drunk driver when he was 11. His mom taught special education to afford to raise 4 kids. He learned football on a courtyard pavement.

It has Patrick Willis, who "would kill for Michael Oher's upbrining." His mother abandoned him, two brothers, and a sister to an abusive, drug using father. He stood up to him and got told he would be killed. Didn't have electricity, running water, worked in a cotton field, his brother drowned, he played through terrible injuries. Finally his basketball coach took him and his three siblings in as a foster home.

Ends with Arian Foster, who got told he couldn't succeed throughout grade, middle, and high school. Went undrafted. Played on a practice squad for a year. Finally made it. Is one of the most intelligent and well-spoken players in the NFL in my opinion.

Then that motherf***er comes on the TV in an FRS commercial.

"They said I couldn't be a high school quarterback." He was a home-schooled boy who got to play for a team instead of kids that went to class each day. He was recruited in the area and moved just to be a QB, because that's what he wanted. Not his team, which ran.

"They said I couldn't get a D1 scholarship. You're not good enough, you're not strong enough, you're not skilled enough." He was the 3rd QB prospect in the country.

"They said I couldn't win a Heisman." No sophomore had ever won it, it wasn't an indictment of him. When he was the favorite, he failed.

"They said I couldn't win a National Championship." He was on a favorite contender the year he had to lead the team.

"They said I wouldn't be a first round draft pick." Ok, I'll give him that. But the guy who fell in love with him got fired.

"They said I couldn't play in the league." He's not a good player.

"Appreciate that."

I literally felt sick to my stomach. Here's a guy who has had everything handed to him in his football career; was recruited in High School, a top QB recruit, national favorite for Heisman and champion, got overdrafted, etc. when he comes off as a meathead in his interviews.

It makes me so mad. Willis had a horrendous life, Rice's two father figures were killed, Foster actually was told he couldn't.

And Tim f***ing Tebow. I hope the 49ers play the Broncos next year so Willis can demolish him.

Edited by Quinarvy

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 14, 2012 -> 07:40 PM)
Vernon Davis

Jimmy Graham

Rob Gronkowski

Aaron Hernandez

The stars of today's games, yet Mike Martz has no use for a TE in his offense. Genius.

Now to be fair...Martz was the guy who made the incredible innovations 15 years ago. Now there have been new innovations. He's failed to adapt and adjust, which isn't all that uncommon. However, this is certainly a major fly in the ointment for him...

I'll be interested to see if he realizes that he needs to incorporate some of the newer trends into his offense at his next stop (probably in the NCAA, if I had to guess).

I don't have a problem with Mike Martz, however. The Bears offense this year was as good as it has been since the '95 season with Erik Kramer under Turner.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jan 15, 2012 -> 10:06 AM)
So, watching E:60.

It had Ray Rice's childhood, where his father was mistakenly killed in a drive by when he was one. His father-figure cousin was killed by a drunk driver when he was 11. His mom taught special education to afford to raise 4 kids. He learned football on a courtyard pavement.

It has Patrick Willis, who "would kill for Michael Oher's upbrining." His mother abandoned him, two brothers, and a sister to an abusive, drug using father. He stood up to him and got told he would be killed. Didn't have electricity, running water, worked in a cotton field, his brother drowned, he played through terrible injuries. Finally his basketball coach took him and his three siblings in as a foster home.

Ends with Arian Foster, who got told he couldn't succeed throughout grade, middle, and high school. Went undrafted. Played on a practice squad for a year. Finally made it. Is one of the most intelligent and well-spoken players in the NFL in my opinion.

Then that motherf***er comes on the TV in an FRS commercial.

"They said I couldn't be a high school quarterback." He was a home-schooled boy who got to play for a team instead of kids that went to class each day. He was recruited in the area and moved just to be a QB, because that's what he wanted. Not his team, which ran.

"They said I couldn't get a D1 scholarship. You're not good enough, you're not strong enough, you're not skilled enough." He was the 3rd QB prospect in the country.

"They said I couldn't win a Heisman." No sophomore had ever won it, it wasn't an indictment of him. When he was the favorite, he failed.

"They said I couldn't win a National Championship." He was on a favorite contender the year he had to lead the team.

"They said I wouldn't be a first round draft pick." Ok, I'll give him that. But the guy who fell in love with him got fired.

"They said I couldn't play in the league." He's not a good player.

"Appreciate that."

I literally felt sick to my stomach. Here's a guy who has had everything handed to him in his football career; was recruited in High School, a top QB recruit, national favorite for Heisman and champion, got overdrafted, etc. when he comes off as a meathead in his interviews.

It makes me so mad. Willis had a horrendous life, Rice's two father figures were killed, Foster actually was told he couldn't.

And Tim f***ing Tebow. I hope the 49ers play the Broncos next year so Willis can demolish him.

Yeah, the idea that Tebow is some poor persecuted underdog who succeeds despite the odds stacked against him is hilarious and borderline insulting. He is a world-class athlete who was a top recruit in high school, played for an elite college program, had one of the most successful college careers EVER, led his team to 2 national championships, won a Heisman, and was a first round draft pick in the NFL. GTFOHWTBS. And I hadn't factored his faith into that either because it's just a distortion by intellectually lazy people, but if we did, that is pretty ridiculous too. We are talking about a guy whose inability to throw a tight spiral gets questioned and they wonder should he actually be playing quarterback in the NFL, and they compare that to Christians who've faced REAL persecution? Oh come on.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jan 15, 2012 -> 03:56 AM)
I find this both insulting and hilarious.

Let me start off by saying that I'm a huge Von miller fan but seriously, it's the f***in playoffs, make a f***in stop and then these guys can't do this s*** to you. Cry me a f***in river Denver. Oh and thank you Tom Brady and Rob Gronkowski.

I honestly don't understand Bears fans' fascination with a pass-catching tight end. First off we have ONE GUY who can reliably catch, that's the real problem, not the lack of a TE. All of the TEs people like to name that they wish the Bears had have multiple other receiving options, save the 49ers who have a s*** offense that I wouldn't want to copy. Going out and getting Gronkowski with the horses*** WR corps the Bears have had isn't going to make it an elite offense. However if they were to get, say, Bowe, Manningham (or Floyd in the draft), then have Bennett, a fully-healthy Knox, and Hester being utilized properly in that order, but still with Davis and Spaeth at TE, now we're talking a top 10 offense. A TE adds efficiency to an already-functional offense, but it's not going to make a dysfunctional one work. Misplaced priorities.

This is like getting a fresh paint job on your car that you don't need. The f*** are you worried about the paint job for when your transmission is shot to s***?

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 15, 2012 -> 01:22 PM)
Jacoby Jones for the win

Extremely dumb play. What was he trying to accomplish fielding a punt that bounced on the ground with 3 purple jerseys in his face? Back the f*** away from the ball, Special Teams 101

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jan 15, 2012 -> 10:48 AM)
I honestly don't understand Bears fans' fascination with a pass-catching tight end. First off we have ONE GUY who can reliably catch, that's the real problem, not the lack of a TE. All of the TEs people like to name that they wish the Bears had have multiple other receiving options, save the 49ers who have a s*** offense that I wouldn't want to copy. Going out and getting Gronkowski with the horses*** WR corps the Bears have had isn't going to make it an elite offense. However if they were to get, say, Bowe, Manningham (or Floyd in the draft), then have Bennett, a fully-healthy Knox, and Hester being utilized properly in that order, but still with Davis and Spaeth at TE, now we're talking a top 10 offense. A TE adds efficiency to an already-functional offense, but it's not going to make a dysfunctional one work. Misplaced priorities.

This is like getting a fresh paint job on your car that you don't need. The f*** are you worried about the paint job for when your transmission is shot to s***?

Well, would they have been better this year with Greg Olsen?