Official 2011-2012 NFL Thread

• Replies 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

JasonLaCanfora Jason La Canfora

Ran the Rob Lowe Peyton Manning tweet past Manning's agent, Tom Condon, a little while ago. Was first he'd heard of it and said if ...

Manning was retiring it was news to him. I told Tom I had a feeling this wouldn't be the last call he got on this topic

Interview at link

http://www.csnchicago.com/blog/bears-talk/...tm_medium=email

Matt Forte has a gut feeling he will be back with the Bears next season, but he knows with the two sides far apart in contract extension talks there could be a good chance that the team puts the franchise tag on him.

What would happen in that case?

"I wouldn't say holdout, but people probably wouldn't know where I was," Forte told WMVP-AM 1000 radio station on Wednesday.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 19, 2012 -> 07:27 AM)

Forte is a solid running back, but he's definitely not "elite". I don't wanna see him go, but I'd be wary of giving him a huge contract. So many of the RBs that have received those have extremely underacheived.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 19, 2012 -> 08:12 AM)
Forte is a solid running back, but he's definitely not "elite". I don't wanna see him go, but I'd be wary of giving him a huge contract. So many of the RBs that have received those have extremely underacheived.

I definitely fall on the side of the Bears in this one. With as short of a shelf life as RBs have, I'm not wanting to give Forte a ton of up front money.

I really need to see what kind of "passing coach" they hire and whether Tice stays before I assign any kind of value to Forte yet. He's an extremely talented pass-catching back and very good at running outside of the tackles, but if we're going to run a more traditional offense than with Martz, I think Forte's value in the Bears' scheme drops considerably.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 19, 2012 -> 08:26 AM)
I definitely fall on the side of the Bears in this one. With as short of a shelf life as RBs have, I'm not wanting to give Forte a ton of up front money.

On the other side of it, if Forte does hold out, I can't blame him either. Knowing how quickly his career can end, you gotta get paid when you can.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 19, 2012 -> 08:53 AM)
On the other side of it, if Forte does hold out, I can't blame him either. Knowing how quickly his career can end, you gotta get paid when you can.

The NFL is a different animal because of non-guaranteed deals. I have no problem with those guys holding out. MLB/NBA/NHL is a different story.