Official 2011-2012 NFL Thread

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jan 22, 2012 -> 11:19 PM)
Kept several plays alive moving his feet throughout. Those plays to Bradshaw for example (on the 30 yard play and the check down) was a perfect indication after he was getting hammered all game. I agree that saying outstanding was a tad strong however. But Eli deserves moving out of the whole "little Peyton's brother" by some out there.

Ya, this I completely agree with. I've been a huge critic of his coming into this season but he's been great this year. I refuse to call him elite(I'm so tired of that word when it comes to him) but he's certainly on the next tier after the top 3...

• Replies 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 22, 2012 -> 09:35 PM)
Kyle Williams = awful

That family needs to be banished from sports.

:headbang

My wife said it best on her Facebook page...she thanked KW for his talentless driplings.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Jan 22, 2012 -> 10:21 PM)
Jason Garrett did it successfully.

Nice...too bad it was his own kicker :)

I don't think icing a kicker is ever a great idea...eventually it's going to come back to burn you.

Once instance in which I do think it's a good idea is in windy conditions so that your own kicker can see where the ball will go on a longer kick. Of course, there is always the chance he'll drill that kick and miss the next, which obviously is what happened to Garrett.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 23, 2012 -> 08:58 AM)
Nice...too bad it was his own kicker :)

I don't think icing a kicker is ever a great idea...eventually it's going to come back to burn you.

Once instance in which I do think it's a good idea is in windy conditions so that your own kicker can see where the ball will go on a longer kick. Of course, there is always the chance he'll drill that kick and miss the next, which obviously is what happened to Garrett.

If you want the stats, they say that icing the kicker is a slight disadvantage in almost all circumstances.

I'd bet that most of the stats though are because kickers are expecting to be iced these days.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 23, 2012 -> 08:12 AM)
Like I said before the playoffs started, the Giants were my sleeper, they came into the playoffs hot and their defense was beasting(still is)

What's with the Giants playing pretty average during the regular season and then getting into the playoffs and tearing it up. All on the road too.

2007 and this year. It's pretty impressive.

Edited by GoSox05

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 23, 2012 -> 08:12 AM)
Like I said before the playoffs started, the Giants were my sleeper, they came into the playoffs hot and their defense was beasting(still is)

I think most thought them and the Saints had the best chance to beat the Packers, I hate that I'm rooting for a New York team in the Superbowl.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Jan 23, 2012 -> 09:28 AM)
I think most thought them and the Saints had the best chance to beat the Packers, I hate that I'm rooting for a New York team in the Superbowl.

I'm indifferent and hoping for a good game. I figure we owe the Giants thanks for keeping the Patriots from being undefeated, but we owe the Patriots for stopping the Tebow mania twice this year.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 22, 2012 -> 08:32 PM)
No you won't, let's be honest. It's the Super Bowl

If someone is having a party, I'll go. If I'm not doing anything around the house, I'll watch. But I won't let it keep me from doing something else.

I had the same attitude towards the last Pats/Giants game, but luckily I had the opportunity to watch the last quarter.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/break..._medium=twitter

Reports: Tampa Bay Bucs close to deal with Oregon's Chip Kelly to be their head coach

Ads by Google

Wrigley Field RooftopsPremier Wrigley Rooftop Experience Unobstructed Views - Great Prices www.wrigleyvillerooftops.com

Email

print

Comments

Share40

The Sports Xchange and Web reports

9:41 p.m. CST, January 22, 2012

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers are in negotiations to hire Oregon head coach Chip Kelly, according to KGW TV in Portland.

The Tampa Bay Times and ESPN are reporting that Kelly is finalizing an agreement to become the Bucs head coach.

Kelly wasn't a known candidate for the position, but the TV station described the negotiations as "the final stages of the contract."

Kelly has been at Oregon for three seasons, leading the Ducks to three BCS bowls, including the 2012 Rose Bowl and the 2011 BCS National Championship. Oregon lost the '11 championship on a last-second field goal to Auburn.

The Buccaneers fired Raheem Morris after the team went 4-12 in his second season and ended the year with 10 straight losses.

Kelly is an innovative offensive mind who ran a wide-open, shotgun spread system that incorporates multiple wide receivers but also utilizes personnel groups to run the ball effectively.

The Buccaneers are building around quarterback Josh Freeman, a franchise-type passer who regressed in 2011 because of injuries and an uneven running game. Freeman is a big, tall quarterback but his mobility, like that of Ben Roethlisberger, makes him difficult to bring down and he might thrive in an offense where he's surrounded by downfield threats.

Tampa Bay had been using an offense rooted in the traditional West Coast scheme. But the offensive line was sluggish and the defense rarely held up its end of the bargain, allowing 56 offensive touchdowns (26 rushing) and 40 percent third-down conversions.

Morris had taken over the defensive play-calling late last season and continued in 2011.

Oregon coach Chip Kelly has decided not to take an offer from the Buccaneers to fill their head-coaching vacancy, Tampa Bay's general manager said.

"His heart is with college football and Oregon and he's no longer being considered,'' Mark Dominik said Monday, according to the Tampa Bay Times.

Kelly and the Bucs had been deep in the process of finishing a deal Sunday night.

Kelly, who secretly interviewed with the Buccaneers last week, had been intrigued by the challenge of coaching at the highest level and not having to deal with parents and the NCAA oversights that are inherent to coaching in college, a source told ESPN's Joe Schad.

Link

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 23, 2012 -> 08:48 AM)
Reading about the tweets towards Kyle Williams kudos to Patrick Willis, f*** off to a bunch of others.

There is the one problem with Twitter. It gives the ignorant a seemingly anonymous outlet to talk s***.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jan 22, 2012 -> 11:11 PM)
Crabtree was starting to come along later in the year until the playoffs so it'll be interesting to see who he is next season. And honestly I don't think the nfc west is going to be awful next year...

Crabtree has improved each season.

48 catches 625 yards

to

55 catches 741 yards

to

72 catches 874 yards

Imagine if he had one of the top 15 or so QB's throwing him the ball. He would be a thousand yard receiver, same for Davis.

SF just needs a legit deep threat to pair with Crabtree. Ginn is too fragile mentally and physically. Kendall Wright would be a great pick-up in the draft.

Edited by Palehosefan

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 22, 2012 -> 09:19 PM)
Yeah, I agree...Eli played so so, but his lack of athleticism really showed tonight. Several times there was pressure in the pocket that a guy like Rodgers or even Brady would have eluded and Eli just could not escape it.

I thought both games were pretty sloppy...not particularly great execution and I didn't think it was a direct result of any dominant defense or anything.

Hopefully the Super Bowl will have a bit more solid execution involved.

Eli proved one thing. When it matters, he is the better "Manning". Peyton can't hold Eli's jockstrap in terms of post-season performances.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 23, 2012 -> 12:19 AM)
Yeah, I agree...Eli played so so, but his lack of athleticism really showed tonight. Several times there was pressure in the pocket that a guy like Rodgers or even Brady would have eluded and Eli just could not escape it.

I thought both games were pretty sloppy...not particularly great execution and I didn't think it was a direct result of any dominant defense or anything.

Hopefully the Super Bowl will have a bit more solid execution involved.

In the words of Peter King..."I counted 23 pressures on Manning". The 9ers front line was getting close to him regularly. Almost any QB will look "Sloppy" when you have guys regularly in his face.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 23, 2012 -> 10:58 AM)
In the words of Peter King..."I counted 23 pressures on Manning". The 9ers front line was getting close to him regularly. Almost any QB will look "Sloppy" when you have guys regularly in his face.

Yeah, but a large part of that is a direct result of him being so immobile in the pocket. That same pressure on Rodgers or Brees and they just escape the pocket and find a receiver on the move. Eli is sort of limited to the actual pocket.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 23, 2012 -> 09:01 AM)
If you want the stats, they say that icing the kicker is a slight disadvantage in almost all circumstances.

I'd bet that most of the stats though are because kickers are expecting to be iced these days.

Statistics aside, the fan and media backlash that comes along with botching that particular play is a much bigger deal IMO than the statistical disadvantage.

If Ted Ginn was playing last night, we would have won this game. Our defense played amazing in the 2nd half of the game.

I just hope Kenny Williams gives me a great Sox season to looked forward to, cause I am so pissed off at Kyle. I won't blame him for the 2nd mistake but the ball hitting off his knee, is what cost us this damn game.

The final score should have been 49ers 17 NYG 10.

Edited by SOXOBAMA