Official 2011-2012 NFL Thread

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Jan 23, 2012 -> 10:45 AM)
If Ted Ginn was playing last night, we would have won this game. Our defense played amazing in the 2nd half of the game.

I just hope Kenny Williams gives me a great Sox season to looked for, cause I am so pissed off at Kyle. I won't blame him for the 2nd mistake but the ball hitting off his knee, is what cost us this damn game.

The final score should have been 49ers 17 NYG 10.

I wanted to make fun of you. But I can't. That's just a demoralizing way to lose a championship game.

• Replies 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wanted to make fun of you. But I can't. That's just a demoralizing way to lose a championship game.

I will take the heat. Last night lost sucked big time. I am very proud of what the 49ers done this season and the future we have with Harbaugh as the coach.

Edited by SOXOBAMA

I'm trying to be as positive as I can, but man I feel like I just got punched in the face by a dude that stole my wife from me.......

I agree with Obama, as long as NY was getting the ball on their side of the field in the 2nd half they weren't doing a damn thing....

Reality is the offense had many opportunities after that and couldn't get the job done..

Edited by HeGone33

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Jan 23, 2012 -> 10:52 AM)
I will take the heat. Last night lost sucked big time. I am very proud of what the 49ers done this season and the future we have with Harbaugh as the coach.

QUOTE (HeGone33 @ Jan 23, 2012 -> 10:52 AM)
I'm trying to be as positive as I can, but man I feel like I just got punched in the face by a dude that stole my wife from me.......

I agree with Obama, as long as NY was getting the ball on their side of the field in the 2nd half they weren't doing a damn thing....

Reality is the offense had many opportunities after that and couldn't get the job done..

I must give you two credit. You've been very gracious and are not making any excuses. I'd be ready to blow something up.

I didn't say I wasn't ready to blow something up, just my military bearing keeping me in check as always.....

I think for the most part I'm positive because the future really does look bright, and this year was sort of playing with house money, nobody expected this to happen so soon under Harbaugh....

What makes me more upset than anything though was reading the Kyle Williams menions on Twitter, abosolutely disgusting with all the slurs, threats, etc. There were some great tweets by teamates sticking up for him though...

Edited by HeGone33

QUOTE (HeGone33 @ Jan 23, 2012 -> 10:52 AM)

Alex Smith looked like Tebow out there late in the game. A few times he was on the move and he would throw wounded ducks straight into the ground. Such a stark contrast from the 4th quarter of the Saints game.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 23, 2012 -> 11:10 AM)
Alex Smith looked like Tebow out there late in the game. A few times he was on the move and he would throw wounded ducks straight into the ground. Such a stark contrast from the 4th quarter of the Saints game.

I had the same thought, but I know that watching the game again his receivers did nothing to get open and help him. With that pass rush you have to make quick decisions....

Another thing I think is funny is all these experts pointing out again that offense and an elite quarterback are musts to go to the superbowl....in reality, both teams that lost could have easiliy won and then that arguement would be out the door....

QUOTE (HeGone33 @ Jan 23, 2012 -> 11:15 AM)
I had the same thought, but I know that watching the game again his receivers did nothing to get open and help him. With that pass rush you have to make quick decisions....

Another thing I think is funny is all these experts pointing out again that offense and an elite quarterback are musts to go to the superbowl....in reality, both teams that lost could have easiliy won and then that arguement would be out the door....

I get your point, but close doesn't count. The fact is this will be the 9th straight Super Bowl won by a team with an "elite" QB. There is a reason why Ray Lewis has only been to one Super Bowl (although Flacco did outplay Brady yesterday.

Eh it depends on how you define "elite" which I think is getting a little to broad these days.

That being said, why say last 9, I think the simple truth is from 1990 on the majority of Super Bowls have been won by teams with HOF QB's. Doesnt mean you have to have a HOF Qb, just your chances of winning are significantly improved.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 23, 2012 -> 11:36 AM)
Eh it depends on how you define "elite" which I think is getting a little to broad these days.

That being said, why say last 9, I think the simple truth is from 1990 on the majority of Super Bowls have been won by teams with HOF QB's. Doesnt mean you have to have a HOF Qb, just your chances of winning are significantly improved.

You can't go back that far. That was a different era. You have to look at today and the current rules that are in place that enhance offense. Not to mention that the athletes today are just spectacular and make early 90's guys look silly.

j4l,

What?

The 90s were dominated by offense. I dont even know what you are arguing. The Cowboys had Aikman, Irvin and Smith, the 49ers had Young, Taylor and Rice. Broncos had Elway, Smith and Sharpe.

As for athletes, Ill take Deion and many of the other 90's athletes. This isnt a comparison to 1970, there were plenty of amazing athletes in the 90s, and thats why the all time leading rusher, all time leading receiver and all time leading passer played in the 90s.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 23, 2012 -> 11:54 AM)
j4l,

What?

The 90s were dominated by offense. I dont even know what you are arguing. The Cowboys had Aikman, Irvin and Smith, the 49ers had Young, Taylor and Rice. Broncos had Elway, Smith and Sharpe.

As for athletes, Ill take Deion and many of the other 90's athletes. This isnt a comparison to 1970, there were plenty of amazing athletes in the 90s, and thats why the all time leading rusher, all time leading receiver and all time leading passer played in the 90s.

No, the numbers emphatically suggest that offense in the modern era trumps that of the 90's. Yeah, Deion was special and would fit quite well in today's game. But c'mon now. These guys in 2012 are bigger, stronger, faster and more athletic than ever. This is not even up for debate.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 23, 2012 -> 11:54 AM)
j4l,

What?

In 2011, 7 teams scored 400+ points & 3 scored 500+. In 1991, 2 teams scored 400. In 92, 2 teams hit 400. In 93, only one team passed the 400 mark.

Bigger, stronger, faster does not make you a better player.

Jerry Rice wasnt the fastest receiver in the 80s or 90s, yet he is the BEST WR OF ALL TIME (no debate.)

Lets look at RBs, Walter Payton, Barry Sanders, Jim Brown, did any of them play after 2000?

So once again, not sure what you are arguing. Since 1990 teams with HOF qbs have won the majority of Super Bowls. When we look back at 2000- on this trend will stay the same. So what difference is there saying 1990 or 2000?

The only argument is that QB's have attempted more passes, but If anything that would have meant guys like Marion, Young, Elway, Montana, Farve would have put up better stats.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 23, 2012 -> 12:08 PM)
Littlehurt,

Where has anyone argued differently?

J4l is trying to argue that in the 90s Super Bowls werent won by teams with HOF QB's. No one is arguing there is more offensive stats in 2000 beyond.

But you're ignoring the rules changes. Mathew Stafford, statistically, had a better season than any of Aikman's years (who's notoriously overrated) and all but one of Young's years. Elway didn't win jack until he got Terrell Davis. Teams relied more on the run back then. That's not the case today. It's pass, pass, pass, run, pass, run, run, pass, pass, pass.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 23, 2012 -> 12:08 PM)
Littlehurt,

Where has anyone argued differently?

J4l is trying to argue that in the 90s Super Bowls werent won by teams with HOF QB's. No one is arguing there is more offensive stats in 2000 beyond.

You had said the 90s were dominated by offense.

I'm not gonna goof on HeGone or SoxObama because the way the 49ers lost was really horrible, but you guys also have to realize the way we lost to the Packers was also demoralizing, we lost Cutler and our D kept us in the game long enough for our 3rd string QB to make the game interesting, we could only imagine what would've happened if we had our QB all game long.

We might've won or maybe not but we'll never know for sure.