Official 2011-2012 NFL Thread

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Jan 24, 2012 -> 10:37 AM)
I know everyone is down on Kyle Williams but if Alex Smith wouldn't have done his imitation of Tebow, Niners would in the SB.

He could have played better, but that was a Giants defense that held Aaron Rodgers to a 78.5 QB rating and forced him into 2 turnovers in their postseason matchup (he has 6 turnovers in the regular season, all interceptions). There were a few throws that Smith should have made that he didn't, but I really don't think any of them would have been significant enough to matter a whole hell of a lot in the end. Alex Smith did about what he was supposed to do in that game.

Meanwhile, both of Kyle Williams' fumbles led directly to points, and neither fumble could have come at a worse time.

• Replies 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 24, 2012 -> 11:47 AM)
He could have played better, but that was a Giants defense that held Aaron Rodgers to a 78.5 QB rating and forced him into 2 turnovers in their postseason matchup (he has 6 turnovers in the regular season, all interceptions). There were a few throws that Smith should have made that he didn't, but I really don't think any of them would have been significant enough to matter a whole hell of a lot in the end. Alex Smith did about what he was supposed to do in that game.

Meanwhile, both of Kyle Williams' fumbles led directly to points, and neither fumble could have come at a worse time.

Giants also benefited from a quick whistle on Bradshaw's fumble. Given where and when that occurred that would have been game over as well

Good teams win and lose as a team, end of story.

That's not to say Williams isn't the MOST responsible, but to blame it all on him would be unfair (not saying people here are doing that, I've just seen it in various places around the inner tubes).

Kyle Williams is handling this well. Unfortunately, some 49er fans aren't. They should be back in the playoffs next year since they are good and the rest of their division sucks.

Jim Harbaugh said though that Kyle Williams didn't have any major shoulder injuries. I felt that Kenny Williams brought up the shoulder issue to try to help deflect blame from his son. Kenny said that he wasn't making excuses but it sounded like he was making an excuse. Kyle is probably handling this better than his dad (understandable since parents usually always try to protect their children)

And I read that Kyle Williams also had a fumbled a punt in his last game & last play with Arizona State which cost them the game. And they also lost by the same score 20-17.

Maybe Kyle Williams shouldn't be returning punts.

QUOTE (sunofgold @ Jan 24, 2012 -> 11:42 AM)
Kyle Williams is handling this well. Unfortunately, some 49er fans aren't. They should be back in the playoffs next year since they are good and the rest of their division sucks.

Jim Harbaugh said though that Kyle Williams didn't have any major shoulder injuries. I felt that Kenny Williams brought up the shoulder issue to try to help deflect blame from his son. Kenny said that he wasn't making excuses but it sounded like he was making an excuse. Kyle is probably handling this better than his dad (understandable since parents usually always try to protect their children)

And I read that Kyle Williams also had a fumbled a punt in his last game & last play with Arizona State which cost them the game. And they also lost by the same score 20-17.

Maybe Kyle Williams shouldn't be returning punts.

emergency situation. unfortunately it didnt work out

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 24, 2012 -> 11:46 AM)
emergency situation. unfortunately it didnt work out

I guess that is how a team learns. 49ers need a new backup for punt returns. Kyle Williams can be decent WR. He made a key block in the games against the Saints.

Wonder how he would have turned out as a baseball player. We did draft him. Never too late to change sports right? lol.

"First of all, we love football," Urlacher said in quotes obtained by the Chicago Tribune. "We want to be on the field as much as we can be. If we can be out there, it may be stupid, it may be dumb, call me dumb and stupid then, because I want to be on the football field."

"If I have a concussion these days, I'm going to say something happened to my toe or knee just to get my bearings for a few plays," he told HBO, according to the Tribune. "I'm not going to sit in there and say I got a concussion. (Then) I can't go in there the rest of the game."

http://espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/story/_/id/...-lie-stay-field

I think I have enough respect already for Brian, I really wouldnt want to have him eating out of a tube at 45.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Jan 24, 2012 -> 12:16 PM)
"If I have a concussion these days, I'm going to say something happened to my toe or knee just to get my bearings for a few plays," he told HBO, according to the Tribune. "I'm not going to sit in there and say I got a concussion. (Then) I can't go in there the rest of the game."

That's just stupid and meetball-ish. Seriously.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Jan 24, 2012 -> 12:16 PM)
"First of all, we love football," Urlacher said in quotes obtained by the Chicago Tribune. "We want to be on the field as much as we can be. If we can be out there, it may be stupid, it may be dumb, call me dumb and stupid then, because I want to be on the football field."

http://espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/story/_/id/...-lie-stay-field

I think I have enough respect already for Brian, I really wouldnt want to have him eating out of a tube at 45.

Yeah...concussions are no joke.

QUOTE (sunofgold @ Jan 24, 2012 -> 12:42 PM)

One thing you ought to take from the 49ers this year is that teams that seem like they're really far away might well be closer than you think. The 49ers looked lost last year, and spectacular this year.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 24, 2012 -> 02:11 PM)
One thing you ought to take from the 49ers this year is that teams that seem like they're really far away might well be closer than you think. The 49ers looked lost last year, and spectacular this year.

I've mentioned this a few times in here...the difference between a crappy NFL team and a very good NFL team is very small...the devil is in the details in a lot of these things...

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Jan 24, 2012 -> 01:59 PM)
A shame a Bear great like 54 will probably retire without a SB ring, an above avg offense and he'd have at least 1.

Considering the 1980s Bears ONLY won 1 Super Bowl and that team was vastly superior to anything the the Bears have fashioned since, it's not a shock Brian won't win a Bowl with the Bears.

The history of the NFL is scattered with brilliant players with no championships.

In the end, the Bears during the Brian era simply put were not good enough.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 24, 2012 -> 01:13 PM)
I've mentioned this a few times in here...the difference between a crappy NFL team and a very good NFL team is very small...the devil is in the details in a lot of these things...

agreed. a few odd bounces here and there could make the difference in a championship and .500 team.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 24, 2012 -> 01:13 PM)

Yup, a +28 turnover ratio is a way to go from crappy to very, very good. Of course some of the turnovers require as much luck as skill, so you can't guarantee to be that good again, even if your defense plays well. Even the Williams fumbles, that second one could have bounced differently off the ground and maybe the 49ers recover.

I'm kind of surprised this isn't getting more play. Concussions Take on Strategic Component

Giants linebacker Jacquian Williams said after the New York victory that the plan for attacking Kyle Williams was to, well, attack him. “The thing is, we knew he had four concussions, so that was our biggest thing, was to take him outta the game,” Jacquian Williams said, via the team’s official website.

Receiver Devin Thomas, who recovered both a muffed punt and fumbled return from Kyle Williams, agreed. “He’s had a lot of concussions,” Thomas said, via the Newark Star-Ledger. “We were just like, ‘We gotta put a hit on that guy.’ . . . [Giants reserve safety Tyler] Sash did a great job hitting him early and he looked kind of dazed when he got up. I feel like that made a difference and he coughed it up.”

I mean, obviously we all knew this was happening, but to have it so obviously stated... well, that's something else. It really shows how strong the good old NFLPA is that coaches can coach up players to basically want to kill one another.

QUOTE (kwolf68 @ Jan 24, 2012 -> 01:15 PM)
Considering the 1980s Bears ONLY won 1 Super Bowl and that team was vastly superior to anything the the Bears have fashioned since, it's not a shock Brian won't win a Bowl with the Bears.

The history of the NFL is scattered with brilliant players with no championships.

In the end, the Bears during the Brian era simply put were not good enough.

I feel bad for him, then I think of Jim Kelly...

QUOTE (The Gooch @ Jan 24, 2012 -> 04:36 PM)
I feel bad for him, then I think of Jim Kelly...

I know it doesnt mean anything in terms of a legacy, but making it to 4 consecutive Super Bowls is a MUCH bigger accomplishment then winning 1. That said he obviously would trade 3 of those trips for 1 ring.

Huge rumor going on in San Fran, is that the 49ers #1 thing to do this off season is to trade for Peyton Manning..

Kurt Warner thinks that Manning would be a good fit for the Niners next season.

http://reewatch.com/#preview/309/60

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/...ky-to-pull-off/

Edited by SOXOBAMA

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Jan 26, 2012 -> 12:21 AM)
Huge rumor going on in San Fran, is that the 49ers #1 thing to do this off season is to trade for Peyton Manning..

Kurt Warner thinks that Manning would be a good fit for the Niners next season.

http://reewatch.com/#preview/309/60

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/...ky-to-pull-off/

The Niners and Texans were the first two teams I thought of that Peyton Manning could come in and make them Super Bowl favorites going into next season. I dont think theyll have to trade for him though, Id imagine hed be released before his roster bonus is due.